IGNORED

Satan Disk TOS compatability question or issues with used Satan Disk

SIO2

I purchased a used Satan Disk (original not Ultra Satan). It came with two SD cards that have been prepared for use with the Satan. One SD card is 256mb and the other is 512mb. This is the original Satan disk which has only one SD slot so I can only use one card at a time but both cards have the same results. The seller said he had used this Satan with a 520stfm and a Mega 4 and that it worked on both those machines.

I was hoping to use the Satan with my 1040STf which has TOS 1.0 (I assume 1.0 since the desktop info just says TOS and Copyright 1985).

When I try to boot the ST with the Satan attached and an SD card inserted, the yellow LED on Satan (access light?) flickers once. The ST boots up but does not show a hard drive. Often but not always, if I then press the reset key on the back of the ST, the yellow light will flicker twice and the 1040STf will boot to show a hard drive. When I try to access the hard drive, it shows as being empty. When I try to copy a file from floppy to the hard drive it shows a dialog that says Can not find the folder you tried to access.

In researching the possible problem, I noticed that the literature says the Satan has been tested with TOS 1.02 and several later versions but it does not say that Satan will or will not work with TOS 1.0.

Is TOS the cause of the problem with my Satan or what else should I be looking at? Should I upgrade TOS and if so, which version should I aim for?

Edited by SIO2

Thank you both for the help.

I opened my 1040STf, located the TOS chips and ordered a set to upgrade to rainbow TOS 1.4.

Regarding the Exxos DMA capacitor fix, this is the site I found on the subject:http://exxos.www.idnet.com/IMPULSE/atari/last/gigafile/index.htm

At the bottom of that page it shows where to solder the caps on the STFM. However, my STf has a different layout. On my board, U51 looks like RAM.

I assume the cap on CO25913-38 would be the same. Does anyone know where I would put the other cap on the CO70523-001 Rev.D board?

post-37734-0-48600200-1416948335_thumb.jpg

I got the Rainbow TOS 1.4 chips installed and reassembled the ST. I did not do the Exxos mod since I was not sure where to place the caps. The 1040STf boots properly but shows no hard drive until I press the reset button. Then, the 1040STf boots and shows a hard drive on the desktop. Afterwards, I can access the hard disk (Satan Disk SD card) and copy files to it and load programs from it.

The double boot seems clunky but it works and is repeatable so, I guess I can live with it.