IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2014 Championship

DZ-Jay

Played on the wii instead of raspberry pi. Picture is smaller and fuzzy in 480p. Im going back to pi. However i lost all my lives but managed to beat christmas. Lag is still there even on the wii. Lag seems to happen after getting hit with the laser in level 16. Is that normal?

OH!!!! Oh oh oh oh !!!

Now I know what you are talking about. Yes, it is normal. The Evil Snowman re-programmed the Bad Toy so that the laser zaps the energy out of Carol. Therefore, with every hit, she gets more sluggish. The only way to recover is to eat a Magical Snowflake, which will restore Carol to her spry self.

By the way, it happens on every level in Twisted Toyland. You probably don't get hit that much on the first round. ;)

Also not sure the color change in your lives too

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Boy, you really are an observant one, ain'tcha? :P

When the Snowball hits you, your life counter flashes temporarily and changes colour. It goes from Green (normal), to Yellow (1 hit), to Red (2 hits); on the third hit, you get frozen. The colour alerts you of how many hits you can take from the Snowball.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Why this picture is "special" ? ^^

Why? Is it because you maxed out your lives at 9? Is it because you missed one candy which caused you to lose the Perfect Christmas? Is it because your birthday is on Sept. 29, 3067?

...or is it... because the game crashed at that point? :o

• Like 2

Why? Is it because you maxed out your lives at 9? Is it because you missed one candy which caused you to lose the Perfect Christmas? Is it because your birthday is on Sept. 29, 3067?

...or is it... because the game crashed at that point? :o

LOLLL Yes, it's because I have 9 lives :)

And yes, I was born in 3067.... back to the future ;)

• Like 2

... I have a question though, I kept on advancing with my 9 lives put to the point where I was about to get another one (see picture)...

post-34781-0-43628800-1419354804_thumb.gif

Unfortunately, I died right after the picture was taken and immediately afterwards I got a new life (see pictures)...

post-34781-0-41339600-1419355001_thumb.gif

My question is: can the life counter be "rolled"?

Edited by Oscar G.
  • Like 1

... I have a question though, I kept on advancing with my 9 lives put to the point where I was about to get another one (see picture)...

attachicon.gif9livesBshot0089.gif

Unfortunately, I died right after the picture was taken and immediately afterwards I got a new life (see pictures)...

attachicon.gif9livesBshot0090.gif

My question is: can the life counter be "rolled"?

Aha! You have hit on a curious feature of Christmas Carol: the capped lives counter that keeps on counting. I designed it to work like this: Whenever the score is updated, the program determines if the threshold for the next life has been crossed. If it has, it adds a life--but only it the current counter is less thank nine. This effectively saturates or caps the counter at the maximum.

A consequence of this is that, since the life was not awarded, the threshold is not incremented. This means that if your lives counter ever goes below nine again, on the next point you get, the program will detect that the threshold has been crossed and automatically award you that life you never got.

The funniest thing happens if you cross the threshold for a few subsequent lives while still maxed out at nine--building up the lives potential--and then die multiple times in a row without getting a single point. Just start eating candy, and with every point update you'll get a new life. :)

This was a lot of fun to test during the beta testing period.

The reason I implemented it like that instead of capping it outright was because I thought that if you earned the lives, you should get them... eventually. The game shouldn't penalize you just because it can't display more than one digit at a time. That, and the colour-coded score, where sort of my "wishful thinking" that someone would play the game extensively.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 3

Aha! You have hit on a curious feature of Christmas Carol: the capped lives counter that keeps on counting. I designed it to work like this: Whenever the score is updated, the program determines if the threshold for the next life has been crossed. If it has, it adds a life--but only it the current counter is less thank nine. This effectively saturates or caps the counter at the maximum.

A consequence of this is that, since the life was not awarded, the threshold is not incremented. This means that if your lives counter ever goes below nine again, on the next point you get, the program will detect that the threshold has been crossed and automatically award you that life you never got.

The funniest thing happens if you cross the threshold for a few subsequent lives while still maxed out at nine--building up the lives potential--and then die multiple times in a row without getting a single point. Just start eating candy, and with every point update you'll get a new life. :)

The reason I implemented it like that instead of capping it outright was because I thought that if you earned the lives, you should get them... eventually. The game shouldn't penalize you just because it can't display more than one digit at a time. That, and the colour-coded score, where sort of my "wishful thinking" that someone would play the game extensively.

-dZ.

I noticed that this year. My goal is to get to 10K with a life or two in reserve since you no longer get any bonus lives after you go yellow!

• Like 2

I noticed that this year. My goal is to get to 10K with a life or two in reserve since you no longer get any bonus lives after you go yellow!

Oh yeah, that was inadvertent. After all the effort in the extra lives logic to build up the lives potential, it didn't occur to me that after 10K, the threshold will never be met, since the score is effectively rolled back to zero. DOH! :dunce:

-dZ.

• Like 1

-dZ.

Aha.... Thanks dZ for the explanation. That may explain why I got a life immediately after I lost it. It was kind of weird.

Your explanation clarifies things for me as I was (erroneously) thinking to myself that I had bad luck and I died just before I got the new life (I was still expecting to roll the lives to 0 or yellow or whatever). In reality I got a "rain check" for a life and I cashed it immediately after I died... Got 9 lives two times in a row :-D

Everything happened so fast, since I was playing on the train to Brussels and I did not want to miss my stop. Cheers and thanks for the explanation.

Cheers to all.

Edited by Oscar G.
  • Like 3

Oh yeah, that was inadvertent. After all the effort in the extra lives logic to build up the lives potential, it didn't occur to me that after 10K, the threshold will never be met, since the score is effectively rolled back to zero. DOH! :dunce:

-dZ.

And we had a very special yellow zone with greater challenge .

• Like 3