IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2014 Championship

DZ-Jay

So i realized that on my fourth game of the day i became the fourth ranger elf, moved up four spots in the ranking and the fourth person to get a perfect christmas. I should have gone somewhere and placed a bet on something with the number four. :lol:

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2

that sucks. I take so many pictures out of fear a pic might not show up right. Good job though. At least this pic still shows a better score at a lower level than your last high score

I usually do as well. I think I can still get a higher score in the next few days. I have been trying out a few tricks people have mentioned on the board which seems to be helping, but damn that ghost can mess things up.

• Like 3

I usually do as well. I think I can still get a higher score in the next few days. I have been trying out a few tricks people have mentioned on the board which seems to be helping, but damn that ghost can mess things up.

yes. The ghost is fast and some levels are hard as hell to get all your presents back after you have eaten all the snowflakes. On my perfect christmas that happened to me on my first snowflake garden. I ended up with all the presents left and both bastards inside the middle. I got lucky and somehow they both left the garden leaving me to luckily get all the presents in the middle except the top one. Then i had to sit there forever trying to get the snowman out so i could go in and get the final present
  • Like 1

yes. The ghost is fast and some levels are hard as hell to get all your presents back after you have eaten all the snowflakes. On my perfect christmas that happened to me on my first snowflake garden. I ended up with all the presents left and both bastards inside the middle. I got lucky and somehow they both left the garden leaving me to luckily get all the presents in the middle except the top one. Then i had to sit there forever trying to get the snowman out so i could go in and get the final present

Liduario has a technique to successfully lure the snowman out of the garden by using the tunnels. You may want to check one of his videos. Cheers!

• Like 2

Wow, so much activity! I'll have to catch up this morning, but first let me address a few comments directly:

but but but.. this doesnt count?
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nope, the Kickin' It Old-Skool achievement is specifically for playing on the old hardware--that means CPU, not emulation, sorry. :P

Congratulations on the achievement!

If I remember well only the cart version of the game has the special Perfect Xmas message.

Yes, only the cartridge version has easter eggs. There is a special "Grand Master Edition" ROM that I prepared for the winners of the "Master Challenge" in 2012 that enabled the easter eggs.

they are not glitches. I play this on an emulater on 1080p and all snowflakes do this. It is actually a beige color but with an old tv it is how the crt projects it that might make them look yellow. Or even possibly your intellivision itself

Those "curly" beige snowflakes are indeed glitches. They happen mostly on Snowflake Garden because of the proximity of the snowflakes. They are caused by a timing "race condition" of the game.

You see, there is only a single "timer" process to handle the animation when Carol eats a snowflake. This is usually sufficient because Carol can only eat one snowflake at a time. However, in Snowflake Garden the snowflakes are so close together, increasing the chances that Carol will eat one while the previous one is still going through its animation. When this happens, the animation "timer" process gets re-assigned to the new snowflake, arresting the animation of the previous one in the middle of its sequence.

In such cases, the snowflake has already been acknowledged as eaten, so the points have been awarded and their collision flag cleared. They are just visual glitches on the background scenery, completely inert and harmless.

I actually did it again a second time and sent a video of it to dz-jay for proof.

My apologies, mate. I did get the e-mail and the video. I must have missed it when updating the leaderboard. I'll correct that.

And by the way, bcprs1... CONGRATULATIONS!

• Like 2

Congrats ! Weldone ! For sure you'll be a Grand Master soon.... but is it a good idea ? You'll loose the mug and others presents except if you do 15 000 points !

Yes, it is most definitely a good idea. Santa rewards and encourages progress and advancement. Campers, on the other hand, go on his "naughty list". ;)

• Like 1

I got mine yesterday, but did not have the camera ready :mad: :mad: :mad: . Now I have to try again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.....

You may want to record a video. Not only will it capture the moment even better, it will also showcase your skills and technique. Plus, it serves as indisputable proof of your achievement. :)

-dZ.

• Like 2

Well, well, well... Christmas Day has passed and we're down to five more days of the championship. The action has slowed down a bit during the Holiday, but it's picking up again. I see much improvement and plenty of achievements from everyone!

First, let's highlight a few special accomplishments from the past few days...

• Bcprs1 and Pimpmaul69 attained the most elusive of achievements: The Perfect Christmas! Congratulations to both!
  • Oscar G. finally succeeded in his quest for the Grand Master Elf rank. Oscar G.'s infective Christmas Spirit is admired by Santa Claus and everyone at the North Pole, and we thank him for sharing it with all of us.
  • JasonLikesINTV managed to beat his highest score ever...and mine! Great job, Jason!
  • TrekMD also managed to beat his previous high score, earning The Spirit Of Christmas Past achievement; and at 2,283 points, that was no small feat!
  • Grips03 has managed to attain an impressive 29 achievement so far! That's a record so far, with only Oscar G. and Liduario, both with 27, even coming close to that. Fantastic!

I've updated the official leaderboard and the first post with the latest rankings and stats. Oh, and I managed to fix that bug in my leaderboard build script that skewed the "Last Stages By Rank" numbers. Now, it only counts entries that reflect a "Game Over" screen. It now shows that "Twisted Toyland" is the most deadliest stage, especially to Novice Elves.

Cheers everyone! And keep crackin'! :)

-dZ.

• Like 2

ATTENTION EVERYONE:

In the spirit of the Season, Liduario has so very graciously conceded his ranking to the other participants. He now joins me in the Special Mention Spectators section, and serves as inspiration to all other hard working elves out there. Thank you, Liduario, you have made Santa Claus very proud. :)

This means that the Top Elite Master Elves spot now goes to Grand Master Elf grips03.

Congratulations, grips03!!!

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 5

I finally got around to uploading the video of my perfect christmas to youtube. Sorry for the choppy video. I was trying to cut down on the size of the file.

man you people live on the wild side. If i had a way to have someone record my video i would show you much safer routes that can pretty much guarantee perfects in several levels. I did watch your trick playing with the ghost in snowflake garden and the robot in twisted toyland. I will definitely give those tricks a try. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

Is that from 2012? the video shows 2012.

Are you talking about the title bar of the window? The jzIntv emulator does that; it takes the year from the Copyright Year value encoded in the ROM header. This is the same value used by the Intellivision EXEC to display on the title screen.

And, yes, in all the versions of Christmas Carol, I never changed the copyright year. It always reflects the year of the initial publication, 2012. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the title bar of the window? The jzIntv emulator does that; it takes the year from the Copyright Year value encoded in the ROM header. This is the same value used by the Intellivision EXEC to display on the title screen.

And, yes, in all the versions of Christmas Carol, I never changed the copyright year. It always reflects the year of the initial publication, 2012. :)

-dZ.

Yes, that what i thought... :)

man you people live on the wild side. If i had a way to have someone record my video i would show you much safer routes that can pretty much guarantee perfects in several levels. I did watch your trick playing with the ghost in snowflake garden and the robot in twisted toyland. I will definitely give those tricks a try.

I used a program I found online called camstudio to record my screen.

• Like 1