IGNORED

Edladdin Controllers "Seagull 78" - order two right now.

wood_jl

post-16281-0-36734800-1417556604_thumb.jpg

These things are surprisingly-small. I was thinking it would be a lot bigger; it is not.

This is one of the most-significant upgrades I've ever seen for the Atari 7800 (the other would be video/S-video from the excellent Electronic Sentimentalities, btw).

I simply can't believe how well this "fixes" the Atari 7800 controller problem. Not only does it it fix it, it completely obliterates the issue, and the Sega Genesis 3-button controller is throw-away cheap, since (in addition to the fact that the Genesis is old) actual Genesis users want the 6-button controller. Genesis 3-button controllers are simple and easy to disassemble for cleaning, so you'll have a squeaky-clean one with a screwdriver, a cleaning-toothbrush, and some good soap. DO IT!

This is the best (and affordable) thing I've seen for the 7800, and I can't overemphasize how happy I am with it. The Edladdin fellow is new to the scene, but a real trooper for coming up with this (and the other controllers) and is "the real deal" and ships very quickly! Thanks!! Now go support this fellow and buy a couple, yourself!

• Like 6

I can't disagree, got mine last week (only one as none of my friends want to play Atari today!)

There is a long line of good control options to play with now as the Genesis of course did not lack for controllers. Legit sega pads, third party pads with turbos (Owl pad!), and I have already enjoyed using my Asciiware SG arcade stick for Ms Pac man through this nice little device. All worked great.

I know some folks want that beaut of a custom controller made specifically for the 7800, or even just hate using Sega brand stuff on an Atari (I actually plan to cosmetically mod one of my Sega pads to two buttons with an Atari logo so trust me, I get it) but this thing has me thinking I may be selling my modded 7800 Space Invaders stick pretty soon. I love that the Invaders stick is "special" but it is now not my best option to actually PLAY with!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifSeagull 78.JPG

These things are surprisingly-small. I was thinking it would be a lot bigger; it is not.

This is one of the most-significant upgrades I've ever seen for the Atari 7800 (the other would be video/S-video from the excellent Electronic Sentimentalities, btw).

I simply can't believe how well this "fixes" the Atari 7800 controller problem. Not only does it it fix it, it completely obliterates the issue, and the Sega Genesis 3-button controller is throw-away cheap, since (in addition to the fact that the Genesis is old) actual Genesis users want the 6-button controller. Genesis 3-button controllers are simple and easy to disassemble for cleaning, so you'll have a squeaky-clean one with a screwdriver, a cleaning-toothbrush, and some good soap. DO IT!

This is the best (and affordable) thing I've seen for the 7800, and I can't overemphasize how happy I am with it. The Edladdin fellow is new to the scene, but a real trooper for coming up with this (and the other controllers) and is "the real deal" and ships very quickly! Thanks!! Now go support this fellow and buy a couple, yourself!

Wow, I am blown away! Thanks for this amazing review!

While I am definitely the Atari nut in the group, I can't let you speak so warmly about the Seagull 78 without giving credit to the rest of the Edladdin team, without whom it never would have happened. While I knew what I wanted and how it needed to work, the technical design, PCB, and all the drawings were done by the brilliant engineer Bob Bugash*, whose patents and designs include stereo surround sound in the USA, the fuel measurement system in the new Dreamliner jet, and our own brand new 12 channel sound therapy amplifier. Equally important was Bill Reeves, whose amazing visual designs bring everything to life. Bill can take my stick man space battles and give back Star Wars. The attached drawing of my original sketch for the Super 78 label shows I am not even slightly exaggerating. Those guys totally took my wish and made it a reality. (Both of those guys are freelancers, so PM me if you need some amazing electronics or graphic design talent on your project.) Inside the shop, my sister Erin and I split the assembly and fabrication, while our Office Manager Cathie has been answering the phones and keeping the books for us for 30 years. Cathie and Erin are also totally responsible the lightning fast processing and shipping. My sister and I inherited BETAR USA from our father about 10 years ago. The company has been rolling since the early 1980s.

So that's probably WAY more information than anyone wanted about the inner workings, I appreciate the opportunity to give everyone due credit.

Thanks again!

* http://patents.justia.com/inventor/robert-s-bugash

Edit: Typo

post-40253-0-87713400-1417666072_thumb.jpg

Edited by edladdin
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That's pretty accurate. Bob is an amazing engineer!!! I was SO lucky to be introduced to him a few years ago.

Does this mean you guys can make a 7800 trackball?

Yeah, I know there aren't that many 7800 games can use a trackball but Atari did intend to make one at one point as shown in these schematics.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/files/videogames/consoles/7800/7800trakball/

Read about this in this topic. So what all controllers can be used with this? Just any Sega Genesis controllers or will others work? Does this only work on an Atari 7800? Will it work on a Colecovsion since you can use 7800 controllers on one? Don't mean to sound dumb, just asking. Looks like a fantastic item and very well priced.

Read about this in this topic. So what all controllers can be used with this? Just any Sega Genesis controllers or will others work? Does this only work on an Atari 7800? Will it work on a Colecovsion since you can use 7800 controllers on one? Don't mean to sound dumb, just asking. Looks like a fantastic item and very well priced.

According to

http://www.edladdin.com/Seagull-78-ec-2-001.htm

it only works with Sega Genesis controllers on an Atari 7800. There is no reason to expect it to work on a Colecovision unless the manufacturer says it will work. But give it a try! Who knows? Maybe the Colecovision ports and addresses identical to the 7800. Stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

According to

http://www.edladdin.com/Seagull-78-ec-2-001.htm

it only works with Sega Genesis controllers on an Atari 7800. There is no reason to expect it to work on a Colecovision unless the manufacturer says it will work. But give it a try! Who knows? Maybe the Colecovision ports and addresses identical to the 7800. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it!

Hi!

So far it looks like all the Sega Genesis and compatible controllers work, though only two of the buttons will do anything. On the 3 and 6 button controllers the other buttons are dead.

We have not tried this with a Colecovision. I got a console from a friend to try, but it turned out to be dead.

Ed

Does this mean you guys can make a 7800 trackball?

Yeah, I know there aren't that many 7800 games can use a trackball but Atari did intend to make one at one point as shown in these schematics.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/files/videogames/consoles/7800/7800trakball/

Its definitely possible to make the trackball! The issue becomes doing it in a way that we can recover the investment. Anything manufactured from scratch is much tougher because the 7800 accessory market is pretty small. Except for PCBs, we have to be able to use "off the shelf" components to make a project work.

• Like 1

Hi!

So far it looks like all the Sega Genesis and compatible controllers work, though only two of the buttons will do anything. On the 3 and 6 button controllers the other buttons are dead.

We have not tried this with a Colecovision. I got a console from a friend to try, but it turned out to be dead.

Ed

Thanks for the reply. Was just curious about the CV. Is the $5 off for Atariage members still good? Again thanks!

Does this only work on an Atari 7800? Will it work on a Colecovsion since you can use 7800 controllers on one?

Just tested it with Choplifter! under the ColecoVision.

Normally:

Left/Button 1 rotates chopper - Right/Button 2 fires.

Having the Seagull 78 adapter plugged in with a Sega Genesis compatible controller:

Left/Button 1/"B" rotates chopper AND fires - Right/Button 2/"C" just fires.

So I would consider it not compatible; however, the way it functions may be considered an advantage to some perhaps, depending on the game.

If anyone has a specific game they would like to have tested, let me know; happy to help.

• Like 1

Normally:

Having the Seagull 78 adapter plugged in with a Sega Genesis compatible controller:

So I would consider it not compatible; however, the way it functions may be considered an advantage to some perhaps, depending on the game.

If anyone has a specific game they would like to have tested, let me know; happy to help.

Thanks for the info!

attachicon.gifSeagull 78.JPGThese things are surprisingly-small. I was thinking it would be a lot bigger; it is not.This is one of the most-significant upgrades I've ever seen for the Atari 7800 (the other would be video/S-video from the excellent Electronic Sentimentalities, btw).I simply can't believe how well this "fixes" the Atari 7800 controller problem. Not only does it it fix it, it completely obliterates the issue, and the Sega Genesis 3-button controller is throw-away cheap, since (in addition to the fact that the Genesis is old) actual Genesis users want the 6-button controller. Genesis 3-button controllers are simple and easy to disassemble for cleaning, so you'll have a squeaky-clean one with a screwdriver, a cleaning-toothbrush, and some good soap. DO IT!This is the best (and affordable) thing I've seen for the 7800, and I can't overemphasize how happy I am with it. The Edladdin fellow is new to the scene, but a real trooper for coming up with this (and the other controllers) and is "the real deal" and ships very quickly! Thanks!! Now go support this fellow and buy a couple, yourself!

Great call on this! Just bought one,now gotta find a 3 button genesis pad

• Like 1

Not to crap on this, but the schematic for the adapters has been around for years. It really only takes a transistor and some resistors to build one of these. That being said, the price is great and should leave no excuse for anyone who doesn't think they can or want to build their own.

Normally:

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Was just curious about the CV. Is the $5 off for Atariage members still good? Again thanks!

Yes, all of the coupon codes are still good. I do not plan on ever deactivating them. The retail prices are for the public, but you guys are my Atari family!

• Like 5

Great call on this! Just bought one,now gotta find a 3 button genesis pad

If interested, RevEng mentions in the 2600 2-buttons hack thread, a clone 6-button Sega Genesis controller.

It's only $4.99 shipped. 10 reviews on the site give it on average 4 of 5 stars.

RevEng's review of the controller is here.

On ebay (No reviews to provide at this time though):

-Innovation 6-button Sega Genesis Controller

$1.99 + $3.00 Standard shipping Worldwide. +10 Available

-2x Generic 6-button Sega Genesis Controllers - 1600+ sold

$5.99 + Free Economy Worldwide shipping. +10 Available

All the above controllers are in new condition.

Hah-I read his review of the controller and as always beauty is in the eye of the beholder. JMO, I find those 6 button pads awful..the buttons stink (especially the top ones, but they are all too long) and the dpad is too "tall". Spring for a real Sega 3 button pad IMO!

Indeed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I own a several official 3-buttons and official 6-buttons controllers. I know many prefer the Sega Genesis 3-button over the Sega Genesis 6-button. Personally, I like the official 6-button (1st edition - came out with SF2 Championship Edition) controller better. :)

Regarding the generic ones posted, I plan on ordering at least one from each link and trying them out. The risk for me is a whopping $16 for obtaining four brand-new controllers (3 unique).

If only used for the 7800, an issue with any of the top buttons is a moot point. All your going to use is 'B' and 'C'. Not sure exactly what you mean by the D-Pad being "too "tall"; I guess it's all the more reason I need to try it out myself. ;)

Again, from the site, 4 out of 5 star average on the reviews and RevEng liked it - So it does look like a 'different strokes for different folks' scenario. For just that one controller, $4.99 shipped is not much of a gamble for someone to try it out for themselves.