IGNORED

Edladdin Controllers "Seagull 78" - order two right now.

wood_jl

Indeed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I own a several official 3-buttons and official 6-buttons controllers. I know many prefer the Sega Genesis 3-button over the Sega Genesis 6-button. Personally, I like the official 6-button (1st edition - came out with SF2 Championship Edition) controller better. :)

Regarding the generic ones posted, I plan on ordering at least one from each link and trying them out. The risk for me is a whopping $16 for obtaining four brand-new controllers (3 unique).

If only used for the 7800, an issue with any of the top buttons is a moot point. All your going to use is 'B' and 'C'. Not sure exactly what you mean by the D-Pad being "too "tall"; I guess it's all the more reason I need to try it out myself. ;)

Again, from the site, 4 out of 5 star average on the reviews and RevEng liked it - So it does look like a 'different strokes for different folks' scenario. For just that one controller, $4.99 shipped is not much of a gamble for someone to try it out for themselves.

The official six button is nice! I prefer as few superfluous buttons as I can though....even on a three button controller that "A" and start button bother me when using it for a 7800! I subliminally ignore the Sega logo. ;)

So far as the pad, it's hard to explain but I think you'll feel it once you try it....the thing actually sticks up more out of the casing than a normal pad. Subsequently I always feel like I am pressing down on the edge of a dinner plate--you press on the right directional and the left edge actually pops UP on the other side, etc. Rev liked that and called it a "subtle joystick feel", I hated it! Revs review is right on and accurate, it's just some of the things he sees as +s I see as -s.

You are 100% right, for the price it is worth testing and at the worst you have some spare parts lying around. My favorite for 7800 is the Performance Pad or the Owl Pad. Same controller, dif buttons/markings. 3 button, but has separate turbo buttons for A,B, and C. Back of the casing has some 90s ergonomics I like too.

• Like 1

I bought the generic controllers from Deal Extreme, and I like them. One thing I figured out is that they don't have a "neutral" or center state that you can press in to activate. I didn't even realize this existed until I played Enduro Racer for the Master System with them. The original 3 button pad (and I assume the SMS pad) allows you to press in on the center. This is not possible with the Deal Extreme generic (at least I couldn't get it to work). I've never encountered another game that used this feature.

Overall though, I like the height of the D-Pad on the generic pad from Deal Ex. The original 3 button pad sits too low and it causes me to put more pressure than needed on the D-Pad, making my thumbs hurt faster. The official Sega 6 button pad I have is actually more like the Deal Ex pad than the 3 button pad in terms of this specific detail (height of d-pad). I feel the Deal Ex d-pad compares favorably to the official 6 button D-pad, and I prefer it overall to the 3 button.

Not to crap on this, but the schematic for the adapters has been around for years. It really only takes a transistor and some resistors to build one of these. That being said, the price is great and should leave no excuse for anyone who doesn't think they can or want to build their own.

Transistor and resistors, plus a DB9 socket, plus a little PC board, plus a cord, plus a case, plus a soldering iron, plus soldering/schematic experience.....etc..etc.. The beauty of this isn't that the schematic is new. The beauty is that this is offered in a nice, completed plug-in unit, that looks professional. Someone should have offered this at retail long ago but didn't, so it's just great (for the less-technical folks) that it is, now.

• Like 1

Transistor and resistors, plus a DB9 socket, plus a little PC board, plus a cord, plus a case, plus a soldering iron, plus soldering/schematic experience.....etc..etc.. The beauty of this isn't that the schematic is new. The beauty is that this is offered in a nice, completed plug-in unit, that looks professional. Someone should have offered this at retail long ago but didn't, so it's just great (for the less-technical folks) that it is, now.

Actually, you were very convincing. I have all the parts to build a proto for this, but I just ordered one from Edladdin because the price is too good to pass up (maybe it doesn't cost enough?). Now I'll have to find different motivation for building my own.

• Like 1

Actually, you were very convincing. I have all the parts to build a proto for this, but I just ordered one from Edladdin because the price is too good to pass up (maybe it doesn't cost enough?). Now I'll have to find different motivation for building my own.

Do you also mine your own lead and brew your own rosin for making solder?

• Like 1

Just tried to order a Seagull 78

But shipping options to the Netherlands are a bit limited :-(

Shipping (UPS Saver) $197,84
Priority Mail® International $40,25

Re: International Postage... The Godaddy shopping cart automatically applies "Priority Mail International" pricing, but does not take into account the fixed rate box options. With clients in both Germany and now the beautiful city of Amsterdam, we have been priced $24.75 by USPS for small box Priority International. For these clients we have taken the order through the shopping cart, then quickly refunded the extra $15.50 in excess postage back through PayPal. This is not the most streamlined solution, but at least we can protect our clients from absurd mailing fees.

We are happy to do the same for anyone else!

Not to crap on this, but the schematic for the adapters has been around for years. It really only takes a transistor and some resistors to build one of these. That being said, the price is great and should leave no excuse for anyone who doesn't think they can or want to build their own.

Wongojack is right... This item is not rocket science for the crafty!

For the convenience of those inclined, attached is our actual list of materials and supplies, including part numbers, prices, and sources. Some of the prices reflect that we ordered everything in quantities of 50 to 200, but you should be able to buy everything needed for in the ballpark of $10 plus postage. It can be even less if you directly mod a Genesis controller and thus skip the expense of enclosure and cord.

FWIW, to actually launch the Seagull 78 required spending $555.00 for graphical and electronic/PCB design and $871.00 for the starting parts inventory to build the first 50 pieces. The next 50 will require much less $, as we only need to buy another box of repo Sega controllers from China (in order to mine out the cords) to have everything on hand for the second run.

As of this morning we have sold 33 Seagull 78's, so thanks to the wonderful response from this community we are well on our way to recapturing the initial investment!

post-40253-0-00224100-1420737748_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Wongojack is right... This item is not rocket science for the crafty!

For the convenience of those inclined, attached is our actual list of materials and supplies, including part numbers, prices, and sources. Some of the prices reflect that we ordered everything in quantities of 50 to 200, but you should be able to buy everything needed for in the ballpark of $10 plus postage. It can be even less if you directly mod a Genesis controller and thus skip the expense of enclosure and cord.

FWIW, to actually launch the Seagull 78 required spending $555.00 for graphical and electronic/PCB design and $871.00 for the starting parts inventory to build the first 50 pieces. The next 50 will require much less $, as we only need to buy another box of repo Sega controllers from China (in order to mine out the cords) to have everything on hand for the second run.

As of this morning we have sold 33 Seagull 78's, so thanks to the wonderful response from this community we are well on our way to recapturing the initial investment!

Appreciate the product and the transparency...Hats off to you, sir. :)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do these adapters work on a Colecovision?

They are not fully compatible. See here.

Also, would this arcade stick work:

Yes. The Genesis Arcade joysticks, both the pictured 3 button one you provided, and the 6 button ones work with the adapter connected to the 7800 console. Button 'B' as Left Button 1, and button 'C' as Right Button 2, mapped accordingly for the Atari 7800 controller layout. The additional/left over buttons have no effect.

They are not fully compatible. See here.

Yes. The Genesis Arcade joysticks, both the pictured 3 button one you provided, and the 6 button ones work with the adapter connected to the 7800 console. Button 'B' as Left Button 1, and button 'C' as Right Button 2, mapped accordingly for the Atari 7800 controller layout. The additional/left over buttons have no effect.

Thanks! It's nice to see that my arcade stick would work. I was really hoping for a Colecovision solution too though. Right now I use my 7800 controllers for games like H.E.R.O. On the Colecovision.