IGNORED

ZX-Spectrum Vega ( The ZX Spectrum Reborn )

MarkO

I'm sure in the world of FPGA boards and more or less open cores, there are several solutions out there.

i'm aware of at least two (my memory is shaky at the best of times) with one having been ported to the Turbo Chameleon.

• 3 months later...

Hold the front page!!!!!!!!

Never mind that stupid looking Vega thing!!!!!

This little baby looks a little bit more like the real deal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recreated-Sinclair-ZX-Spectrum-Brand-New-/281647049763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419378ec23

I have to say that is pretty damn cool and i'm not even a ZX user!

That's just a Bluetooth keyboard though, you'll still need something "connected" to it that's pretending to be a Spectrum. The original idea was to use it with a smartphone app, but from what i've read it can be connected to a PC, laptop or possibly a RasPi and, in theory if they're including Bluetooth support, the Vega could support it too.

And £99 plus shipping... i understand why, but ouch. There's a bloke selling boards that'll convert a dead 48K Spectrum's shell into a USB keyboard for less than half that price if memory serves.

Edited by TMR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recreated-Sinclair-ZX-Spectrum-Brand-New-/281647049763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419378ec23

Nope... sorry. That won't work at all for catching the original feel of the Spectrum. It has an on/off switch. :D

Pretty cool!

• Like 1

The eBay item looks to be an Elite, Kickstarter-backed keyboard.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952953995/bluetooth-zx-spectrum-recreating-the-sinclair-zx-s

The fact it's a pre-order suggests that's when they're expecting release though given the damage caused to Mr. Wilcox's reputation during the Kickstarter funding phase, I'll believe this thing is fully working and in production once the units start arriving in the hands of backers.

Originally designed to work with his own IOS app (an app he later removed from the app store once it was revealed he'd paid no royalties to the developers of the games he'd been selling to go with it).

I'm one of its original backers but pulled my pledge before the funding stage ended, after veteran coder Steve Crowther revealed in the backers forum that he (among others) was still awaiting payment for his games despite numerous promises from the Kickstart project's owner.

IIRC, the keyboard will now also work as a generic Bluetooth keyboard for use on non-IOS hardware too, so it *should* be possible to use it with a ZX Spectrum emulator on PC/Mac/Linux for an authentic retro-experience.

I wouldn't pay £99 for one though and I've paid little attention to the product since I backed away from the Kickstarter project.

Regarding the ZX Vega, I'm still on the fence as I'm puzzled by its lack of keys. I need to see one in use before I can reach a decision.

• 7 months later...

Is the ZX Vega emulation or a small version of the computer?

The ZX Vega seems to be a modern version of the ZX, designed for playing ZX Video Games... With Sir Clive's blessing..

There doesn't seem to be much Technical Information, yet, but it is most likely an Emulator on some kind of FPGA..

MarkO