IGNORED

Mario Games - Hidden Gems

Metal Jesus

Over 200 Nintendo Mario games have been released but not all of them are popular or well known. Kinsey & the Metal Jesus present their favorite Mario Games Hidden Gems for collectors and fans of the famous Italian plumber!

Games Shown:
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
Mario & Wario (SFamicom)
Fortune Street (Wii)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
Mario Pinball Land (GBA)
Hotel Mario (CD-I)
Super Mario Strikers (GC)
Mario Clash (VB)
Mario Tennis PowerTour (GBA)
Mario Golf (GBA)
Golf (GB)
Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
Mario is Missing (PC)
Alleyway (GB)
What games are we missing?

Very good, I would've included Mario Bros on VCS, my absolute favourite Mario game.

Alleyway is great too.

No CDi dissing please (I noticed a smirk), Nintendo licensed the Zelda and Mario games to Philips, so they are official, mostly people only rubbish them without even having played them (Nintendo fanboys). And yes, Hotel Mario is great too.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Are you referring to the 2600 version? If so, there are several generations of Nintendo fans who haven't even played a 2600, let alone Mario game on it.

Yeah, he had mentioned he liked the VCS (2600) version. Whether it pre-dates many people and hasn't been played by many others is irrelevant, as a hidden gem is how popular and how well it was received in its day. Look at it like this, The Wizard of Oz pre-dates me, but it wasn't a movie hidden gem.

As for your list however, I totally agree with you. Those were certainly hidden gems. Great video as always.

Edited by Zap!

I don't know about hidden gems, but wasn't there a Baby Mario game for FDS, and Mario is missing and Mario through Time for the SNES. And Mario Paint (loved the mouse) and if you count Donkeykong games, how about my fave of those, Donkey Kong (for DMG) often referred to as DK94

Are you referring to the 2600 version? If so, there are several generations of Nintendo fans who haven't even played a 2600, let alone Mario game on it.

There was video gaming action going on prior Nintendo you know, who cares about the Nintendo fanboys who haven't played a VCS.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 2

There was video gaming action going on prior Nintendo you know, who cares about the Nintendo fanboys who haven't played a VCS.

My comment was meant that even though the Mario Bros games sold well on VCS, many 20-30 year old gamers probably don't know about it...so it would qualify as a Hidden Gem on my YT channel. I don't worry about sales that much when creating these lists because we have over 40 years of games now.

My comment was meant that even though the Mario Bros games sold well on VCS, many 20-30 year old gamers probably don't know about it...so it would qualify as a Hidden Gem on my YT channel. I don't worry about sales that much when creating these lists because we have over 40 years of games now.

But that's not what the definition of a "hidden gem" is. Whether it was released before they were born is completely irrelevant. A hidden gem is fantastic game (or movie or whatever) that somehow slipped under the radar when it was first released.

• Like 1

But that's not what the definition of a "hidden gem" is. Whether it was released before they were born is completely irrelevant. A hidden gem is fantastic game (or movie or whatever) that somehow slipped under the radar when it was first released.

We could probably argue for or against all day, but basically that's not how YouTube works on my channel. The YT Analytics report that overwhelmingly the average age of viewer is 25-34 years old...or younger. That's the vast majority of the views I get...so that's how the audience I reach. So far, it's worked out pretty well for me.

MJR_Stats.jpg

Edited by Metal Jesus

We could probably argue for or against all day, but basically that's not how YouTube works on my channel. The YT Analytics report that overwhelmingly the average age of viewer is 25-34 years old...or younger. That's the vast majority of the views I get...so that's how the audience I reach. So far, it's worked out pretty well for me.

MJR_Stats.jpg

I understand that you want to put out content that your viewers want to see, but the age of the average viewer doesn't have anything to do with what a hidden gem is. I do agree that your Channel is very good. I subscribe to it and look forward to all your new videos, and wish you continued success. Where we disagreed was on the definition of a hidden gem. It's not about opinions or whatnot, a hidden gem is what it is. Interestingly though, all of the games in your video were indeed hidden gems. You mentioned Super Mario Sunshine not being a real "hidden" gem, and you were 100% right. It has to be hidden and has to be a gem.

BTW, please put out a SMS or NES hidden gems list, would love to see those! :)

Edit: Here's an actual definition:

What is a hidden gem?

A hidden gem is a great game that doesn't sell well, it is also known as a buried treasure. Games are expensive now days and there are so many great games out there some will find a lot of success but unfortunately some won't. Here is a list of some of my favorite hidden gems for the PS3.

http://hossbyh.hubpages.com/hub/top-hidden-gems-on-the-ps3

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 1

Kinsey's boyfriend who is only 3 games away from a full NES set is threatening to come on my channel to help make that Hidden Gems video. I'll probably take him up on it early next year.

I would love too see that. There are so many NES hidden gems. For the Master System, I suggest you check out The Ninja. Dunno if everyone will agree, but I loved it.

Awesome video as always MJR.

A Mario game I quite enjoyed that seemed to come and go with little fanfare was Mario Hoops 3 on 3 for the original DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG1OMSV8q1E

But if you want something very very unusual, check out Mario Kart Wii Grand Prix Race Pinball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA89WSf4q1c

Awesome video as always MJR.

A Mario game I quite enjoyed that seemed to come and go with little fanfare was Mario Hoops 3 on 3 for the original DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG1OMSV8q1E

But if you want something very very unusual, check out Mario Kart Wii Grand Prix Race Pinball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA89WSf4q1c

I second Mario Hoops 3 on 3.A VERY fantastic game on the DS handheld.