IGNORED

Super C

mbd30

The enemies are much more aggressive compared to the original game, and there are a lot of them, and they keep ganging up on you. It really keeps you on your toes. Even the first boss is hard if you don't have the spreader.

If I'm doing well, I can get to the third level on a single life, and the furthest I've gotten is the fourth level. I hope I can beat this without having to use the code.

I think it's quite a bit easier than the first one. Super C gives out 1-ups pretty readily, the overhead stages are way too easy, and several bosses have pretty cheap weaknesses (for example walking behind the 2nd boss, or blasting yourself a safezone in the middle of the pipe-beam boss at the top of the elevator). Even the ones that don't have silly defects tend to go down awfully quickly.

One other trick is figuring out when to take things slow, and when to run through a section as quickly as possible. For example when the land is falling out from underneath in one of the early levels--sure it will eventually be memorized, but until then, just let them all fall out and platform the gaps once they're gone. It's not metal slug, so there is no time limit. On the other hand, in the final overhead level, there is a section where rows of monster 'tunnels' are on either side of the screen spawning enemies that would surely kill anybody not at full sprint.

For some reason I always had a lot of trouble with the first game, though.

Edited by Reaperman

I think it's quite a bit easier than the first one. Super C gives out 1-ups pretty readily, the overhead stages are way too easy, and several bosses have pretty cheap weaknesses (for example walking behind the 2nd boss, or blasting yourself a safezone in the middle of the pipe-beam boss at the top of the elevator). Even the ones that don't have silly defects tend to go down awfully quickly.

One other trick is figuring out when to take things slow, and when to run through a section as quickly as possible. For example when the land is falling out from underneath in one of the early levels--sure it will eventually be memorized, but until then, just let them all fall out and platform the gaps once they're gone. It's not metal slug, so there is no time limit. On the other hand, in the final overhead level, there is a section where rows of monster 'tunnels' are on either side of the screen spawning enemies that would surely kill anybody not at full sprint.

This is pretty accurate. I've played Super C for about 6 hours straight before my wife made me quit with 40+ lives.

The original Contra gets harder with each playthrough....Super C doesn't get noticeably harder.

You have a point about the 1-ups, but the first game also has no time limit and gives out 1-ups easily.

The overhead stages in Super C are harder than the 3D stages in the first game, which are a total cakewalk aside for fourth level boss (which is still pretty easy with the spreader).

Super C seems more consistently challenging. IMO, the challenge factor in the first game doesn't really kick in until the Snowfield, as long as you can hold on to the spread gun. Super C has a larger number of more aggressive enemies right from the start.

• Like 1

I think that both Contra and Super C are better on the NES than the arcade originals. The arcade games are not hobbled by stiff controls, short levels and vertically oriented monitors.

Contra is really not that hard if you have some memory of the levels. I played it today on my NES, probably for the first time in two years, and beat it with one continue, no 30-man code, no cheats and a regular NES-004 controller (no rapid fire). Having a controller that can distinguish between down, down right and right well really helps when you need to duck.

I've always felt Super C was easier than the original NES Contra. Just saying.

That said not to veer off subject, but if you haven't played Contra 4 on the DS it is 100% pure awesomeness, especially if you liked Contra 1 & 2 (which btw, are unlockable content within the cartridge). The challenges and the ability to "practice" areas and bosses that you've already reached without having to play all the way to them decreases the frustration factor and makes the game more fun by allowing you to get better get at it without the tedium. My only criticism of the game is it doesn't have Contra 3 in it as well. :lol:

Contra_4_Coverart.png

Edited by NE146

I think that both Contra and Super C are better on the NES than the arcade originals. The arcade games are not hobbled by stiff controls, short levels and vertically oriented monitors.

Contra is really not that hard if you have some memory of the levels. I played it today on my NES, probably for the first time in two years, and beat it with one continue, no 30-man code, no cheats and a regular NES-004 controller (no rapid fire). Having a controller that can distinguish between down, down right and right well really helps when you need to duck.

I managed to beat Contra without the code and without continues using an emulator and Logitech gamepad. It doesn't merit its reputation as one of the hardest NES games (without the code). It's easy as hell compared to the likes of Ghost 'n Goblins and Battletoads.

I think what also helps with Contra is that the control is fantastic. For example, you have so much control over your jumps while in midair, so that it's a breeze to do stuff like jump onto the little platforms in the waterfall stage. Konami must have play tested the hell out of this game.

That said not to veer off subject, but if you haven't played Contra 4 on the DS it is 100% pure awesomeness, especially if you liked Contra 1 & 2.

I'd change that to read "Contra 3 and Hard Corps". Contra 4 is stupid-difficult, at the very least on the same level as Contra III and Hard Corps, possibly even tougher. But, if you like a memorization game, it's one of the best in the series. I played the hell out of Contra 4.

It doesn't merit its reputation as one of the hardest NES games (without the code). It's easy as hell compared to the likes of Ghost 'n Goblins and Battletoads.

Contra just needs repeated playthroughs. The more you play it, the smoother you cut through everything on screen without even stopping. I was able to no-death this game when I was 8 or 9 years old, so that should be saying something. It definitely doesn't deserve to be on the "hardest on the NES" list, and anyone that feels this way either hasn't played it enough or is simply terrible at action games.

I'd change that to read "Contra 3 and Hard Corps". Contra 4 is stupid-difficult, at the very least on the same level as Contra III and Hard Corps, possibly even tougher. But, if you like a memorization game, it's one of the best in the series. I played the hell out of Contra 4.

You think so? I guess the ability to practice stages smoothed that out a lot for me, because I found Genesis Contra to be very difficult & frustrating, yet Contra 4 I happily breezed through despite the intensity. .

Yes I guess it WAS hard, but it accommodates you. Being able to practice a later area you reached without having to play through everything again to get there made all the difference I guess.. then when you're ready to play the game through, you already got the skills :P

Yes I guess it WAS hard, but it accommodates you. Being able to practice a later area you reached without having to play through everything again to get there made all the difference I guess.. then when you're ready to play the game through, you already got the skills :P

I don't think I ever used the practice mode functionality, so my way of practicing it was just like with Contra Hard Corps where I gradually learned the patterns through successive playthroughs. But yeah, I think Contra 4 is tougher. You have to have your weapons powered up and have to have pin-point precision and timing to get past certain boss segments without dying. Hard Corps is definitely tough but the boss patterns are a little more forgiving for the most part.

Contra just needs repeated playthroughs. The more you play it, the smoother you cut through everything on screen without even stopping. I was able to no-death this game when I was 8 or 9 years old, so that should be saying something. It definitely doesn't deserve to be on the "hardest on the NES" list, and anyone that feels this way either hasn't played it enough or is simply terrible at action games.

I'm going to say the 30 lives code is actually the main reason people think it is so hard. What's one life when you have 30?

that attitude and you can burn through lives without thinking, suddenly oh boy you're out of lives this game must be super hard because I can't win with 30 lives!!!!!!

The thing that makes contra and super c so great is that they are the definition of tough but fair . I think the fact that you always have compete control over your character is part of it as mentioned above. Ghost n' goblins, ninja gaiden, castlevania and battletoads you lack that complete control, you start jumping your going that way until you hit the ground, attacking stops your movement, etc. If the controls were like contra, ninja gaiden, ghost n' goblins, and castlevania would be a whole lot easier. plus contra is free from obnoxious enemy spawns

though I think battletoads would be a better game without the biking sequences as they are the majority of the games difficulty

• Like 1