IGNORED

What Are Your Goals For 2015?

VectorGamer

Whether it's collecting or setting a new high score, what are your goals for 2015?

I'm not into competitive gaming anymore so no high score goals for me. I'm just going to continue building my ColecoVision collection which has been my same goal for a few years now. Maybe 10 years from now I'll be able to say that I have a complete ColecoVision cartridge collection.

Time's yours...

Staying healthy is my main goal.

But for video games, I would like to get back into my NES collection at I started 1-2 years ago, Neo-Geo as usual, and go for collecting Game Boy cartridge this year.

Plus I would like to add more to my Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U library as well!

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Even if you don't want to do "competitive gaming"--i.e., competing toe to toe with other gamers in online competitions or for records--doesn't mean you can't have personal high score goals.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand how classic games can have any lasting allure if the player isn't trying to get ever higher scores. Without that component, what keeps one coming back to a game?

In 2015, I'd like to see myself hit new highs on some classics: Asteroids, DK, Centipede, and Robotron.

Even if you don't want to do "competitive gaming"--i.e., competing toe to toe with other gamers in online competitions or for records--doesn't mean you can't have personal high score goals.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand how classic games can have any lasting allure if the player isn't trying to get ever higher scores. Without that component, what keeps one coming back to a game?

In 2015, I'd like to see myself hit new highs on some classics: Asteroids, DK, Centipede, and Robotron.

In a game like Donkey Kong or Robotron, I always like to see how far I can get, as opposed to my score.

Sticking to my new plan of planning out my purchases ahead of time and not going overboard so I can save some money every month, still trying not to spend much time replaying the games I have already beaten since June 2013 so I can cover new ground.

Trying to keep a variety of collecting goals active. For 2015 I have these groups:

1. Re-obtain at least loose copies of all the games I had in my childhood/teen years. I currently have everything up to what I had by the time I started 7th grade.

2. Re-obtain or get for the first time: Complete in box copies of all the games I have beaten since June 2013. Starting with ones I had during my childhood and working my way up.

3. Buy two PS3 RPGs a month in order of release to keep the modern budget system experience from being missed this generation. I will treat it the way I treated PS2 when I had PS3 as the newest system. My guess is when the PS3 RPG list is done in a couple years I'll start looking for the Xbox 360 RPG exclusives I don't already have.

Who knows though, the lower these prices get the more chances of my rate of purchase going up to three or four games a month. In the PS2 era, $5-$12 RPGs were almost unheard of unless it was something super popular and mass produced like X-Men Legends or Final Fantasy X. And even then stores were reluctant to reduce prices of anything with the Final Fantasy name on it.

4. Buy a Wii U game every time I beat one I have. I'd like to take my newest console one game at a time.

The only one of these three categories that I really have to go slow with are the CIB retro games because those can cost a lot more than these other groups.

Somewhere in this mess I'll have to throw in additional shelving and music stuff, but that can wait until I get the urge.

Edited by TheGameCollector

1. I would like to buy some more multicarts. The more I use multicarts the more I prefer them over regular carts.

2. Add some more original colecovision homebrews to my collection

3. Add a couple more CIB systems to my collection

4. Hopefully an upgraded Nvidia shield portable (k1)

5. Receive the colecovision SGM (I paid for in 2013) LOL

Edited by Manoau2002

1. I would like to buy some more multicarts. The more I use multicarts the more I prefer them over regular carts.

2. Add some more original colecovision homebrews to my collection

3. Add a couple more CIB systems to my collection

4. Hopefully an upgraded Nvidia shield portable (k1)

5. Receive the colecovision SGM (I paid for in 2013) LOL

Is this a predictions thread? I predict you'll get 4 out of 5.

• Like 2

1) finish the homebrew game I've been working on for years

2) get my Channel F working

3) Rob parts from a non-video modded Colecovision to fix the one I have that is modded

4) Build a shelving unit and switcher that will allow display and playing of all of my retro consoles without jockeying cables and consoles around (I suppose that at $1 each, I could just pick up like 10 or so CRT TV's at Goodwill and leave everything hooked up all the time :) )

5) Get rid of several handhelds that I never play: Mattel Soccer, Bank Shot, Simon Jr., MGA Centipede ...

Edited by BigO

Right now, I can think of two things, off-hand:

(1) Either finding my Atari 7800, and if I'm lucky, its power cord, or just buying a new 7800, when I get the money. I'm thinking about the latter, because the "Select" and "Reset" buttons on my 7800 don't work, and those might be nice to have, especially if I ever think about whipping out a 2600 game, or playing one of those 7800 games that uses those extra buttons, and...

(2) Making and/or finishing an Atari 7800 homebrew game.

I'm also thinking about another console I've had my eye on for a few years, but never had enough money to buy (unless I checked eBay), the ColecoVision. Especially with all the homebrew games coming out for it these days.

Seeing that I recently completed my ColecoVision CIB collection and my ADAM collection is probably as complete as it will get, I want to turn my attention to finishing up archiving everything for these systems digitally, get back to competing in the High-Score Club and just spend more time playing all the tremendous new(er) games for these systems. That's not to say that I'm still not on the hunt for some CIB variations and super rare items for both the CV & ADAM, bacause I am, it's just that the worst is behind me now.