IGNORED

Which should I get: Neo Geo AES or Neo Geo CD?

Starf

Hi everyone,

'Tis the season and for the holidays, I plan to treat myself and (finally) get a Neo Geo system. However, I've heard many argue about which console is better the CD or the AES. The AES and its games are much more expensive but the loading times are supposedly awful for the CD. Then again, I could try to fork up the cash for a CDZ.

I wanted to hear your opinions on which is better buy.

Thanks for any responses.

• Like 1

Is there a reason you're not considering the world of MVS? Either in full cabinet or consolized form?

I went for a CD first, and all it did was make me want to buy one of the cart-based systems. The loading times on it really are that bad with the exception of a couple very early games. Other games suffered from spartan menus, mid-level loads, and a juggling monkey that just doesn't quit. The new games also stopped coming out on CD around 1999, so it's missing a bunch of the best titles. Any rumors of the CDZ fixing the load time issue are highly exaggerated. 'Better' and 'still totally unacceptable' seem to both apply to it, IMO.

However, I've heard many argue about which console is better the CD or the AES.

Really? Given the two choices listed, I'd have to go AES, all day long, and cannot imagine many Neo Geo fans would come out and pick the CD/CDZ as the better unit. That said, I would (and do) take my MVS systems over either all day long. Some people like MVS games for their low cost, and I won't lie, I see the appeal there too, but for me it's more about having the actual arcade game in my hands. Real, commercial-grade gaming. The MVS exclusives are also nice to have. Shock Troopers, Neo Bomberman, etc. MVS vs AES is better question with right answers on both sides of the fence, but picking either of those over CD/CDZ is really easy.

The full Neo Geo CD 'ride the loading screens' endurance experience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ArAUzvRGg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Heres an opinion from someone who owns all 3. Consolized MVS (CMVS) absolutely the way to go. Games are much cheaper and u can get the 100+ in 1 carts as a great start for relatively cheap. Love my AES but some games are crazy expensive. Region modded my CD but the load times destroy any fun. Plus the cmvs just looks badass if done right

Edited by coyo5050

Hi everyone,

'Tis the season and for the holidays, I plan to treat myself and (finally) get a Neo Geo system. However, I've heard many argue about which console is better the CD or the AES. The AES and its games are much more expensive but the loading times are supposedly awful for the CD. Then again, I could try to fork up the cash for a CDZ.

I wanted to hear your opinions on which is better buy.

Thanks for any responses.

Hi Starf,

Glad that you have an interet to invest in the Neo-Geo. I have a thread that I started called "The Official NEO-GEO Thread" and you're welcome to come by and post anything related to Neo-Geo or SNK/P.

In regards to your question on which system to own, I personally have The AES.CMVS, and the CD ( CDZ as well). When I first started collecting into the platform, I started out with the NGCD top loader because as a college student at the time, I didn't have the proper funds to purchase an AES Like many, the CD version was the best route for those that are on a tight budget! The NGCD is a good system and has an excellent selection of games that are part of the MVS/AES library, however the top/front loaders are known for their single speed motors! So sadly, those units are slow! Now the CDZ is a double speed motors and will load faster, but this unit is also been regarded for overheating issues.

As for the AES, its a great system. As I graduated from college and started to have a steady income, I purchased the AES because that was the version I wanted in the first place. purchasing a bare, basic unit loose with hook ups can run about a little over $200+ dollars. The common games can go for $20-$45. Its best to get the Japanese versions because the English ones will go higher due to limited numbers that SNK produce for them! Its also a fact that AES cartridge do go for good money, and counterfeit cartridges are known especially for the rarer carts ! So you need to keep that in mind!

You can also go the MVS route by purchasing a consolized MVS to your liking and save money by playing the MVS cartridges. A member on the neo-geo.com forums name Xian Xi can help in regards on making a custom unit for you. Other units are the Omega, and the Analodge Interactive unit! You can also go on Ebay to see if they have a CMVS console that its to your preference!

Hope this helps Starf. If you have any questions, please PM me, or you can go to the Neo-Geo thread to posted anything related to the Platform. I can provide you links for good deals in regards to all platforms to be purchase at a reasonable price. I helped a few Atariage members and they can vouch me on saying this! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your own knowledge (and for others). This is from my past postings in regards to the history of the Neo-Geo AES. Good information in regards of it!

"The Neo-Geo AES (Advanced Entertainment System) was the closest-of-closest as you can get to bring the arcade experience home during that time period as a home system! When SNK was releasing MVS (Multi Video System), the AES was available as a rental system because of concerns of the production cost was astronomical for the system to produce this type of new technology to your living room! However, the demand for the system for a retail release was high, and SNK to its credit was listening to the consumers on debuting the arcade experience to your own house! The price was not by any means cheap for this system, and they had two options to choose from. The silver option and a gold option that came with a game! Each game was around $200-$250 dollars each and most gamers couldn't afford this type of luxury. Those who did were able to have bragging rights saying that "I have a Neo-Geo system".

Its also important to mention that this system was not mass marketed unlike the Super NES or Genesis! SNK clearly noted to themselves that they would not surpass Nintendo, Sega, NEC because of the hefty price tag on the unit. SNK just wanted to capture a selective group of gamers and say that they can bring the arcade experience home! As I recall, 330,000+ units were available worldwide in Japan, Europe, USA, Korea (SNK licensed Neo Geo built in Korea called VIC), etc Believe it or not, Neo-Geo was popular in Saudi Arabia! They made the AES system from 1990-1997. The last official published software for the AES by SNK was in 2004!"

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

From what I read, the CDZ doesn't have a double speed CD-ROM unit, but more RAM (which reduce the access time, but not as much as a double speed CD would do).

In my opinion, you should ask yourself this simple question :

Are you an harcore fan of Neo Geo arcade games, fighting mid-90's game?

Or are you just "more than curious" about the Neo Geo? That is, you want more than emulation (or you despise emulation)?

If you're in the first case, as advised, a consolized MSV slot is the best way to go. It's cheaper than AES, and offer the full arcade game experience. It may not be as pretty as the Neo Geo AES system tho.

The AES would be a better solution if you aren't fan of consolizing, don't want to fiddle with electronics or if you have a collector mind, and like those big sturdy AES boxes with well-made arts on them (at least the Japanese ones... Most European Neo Geo fans get Japanese games).

On the other hand, you just wanna get a quick peek into the Neo Geo world (because, it's a huge thing in retrogaming, IMO) and don't plan to invest huge loads of money into a Neo Geo AES or MSV, then the CD is your choice.

Don't bother about the CDZ, it's rare and can be finicky. The top loader model, the most common one is also reliable and readily available.

Plus it boast AV/out in 3 flavors : Composite (standard RCA) S-Video (standard connector too) and RGB (Neo Geo CD special, but SCARTS cables are easily found for cheap) and unlike the AES, you have Stereo sound at the back of the unit in RCA form as well! (The Neo Geo AES have mono out from the DIN, and Stereo from the jack, like the Megadrive/Genesis).

As for region mods, except for some titles, they are mostly for language and censorship. A PAL game will play on a Japanese or US unit fine, so you don't even have to bother much about this in the beginning.

Also, one big thing about the Neo Geo CD is that titles are dirt cheap (compared to the AES). On a good day, even Metal Slugs games can be found around the 150E mark... 10 times less than the AES equivalent. And most are more in the 15/20E mark (could be cheaper even in the US, or for Japan imports, I don't know)

And... The top loader CD doesn't make a difference between a legit game and a copy (wink wink nudge nudge). Cheap games...

As for loading times... People complain about it, but it's not that worse if you're used to the 3DO and Playstation loading times. Sure it's no like in the arcade, but if you play a lot of PS1 games, you won't be surprised. Many many games load quite fast. Not whant you hear here and there that make you feel like games take 5 minutes to load a menu.

So that's my advice, summarized :

Just want to get a taste of the Neo Geo world, or you are short in money?

Neo Geo CD (top loader).

Want to be in the "hype" or feel like it's 1992 and have a ready-to-play system? Neo Geo AES is for you.

You're an hardcore arcade fan and want the "real" thing? Go for the MSV.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

I have a consolized MVS, top loader CD(modded to switch between regions) and an AES. I would have to say I like the MVS the best. But between AES and CD I prefer the AES. You just never know when CD systems will crap out on you. That is why I stayed away from a CDZ. But all the systems have their bonuses so I guess it just depends what you are looking for.

Consolized MVS systems are too expensive for what they are, IMO. You would probably be better off getting a Japanese AES and a AES to MVS cartridge converter.

Also, think about what kinds of games you want to play. The CD is a great system if you're not playing most fighting games (early ones load fine, like Fatal Fury or Samurai Showdown). The CDZ loads games at least twice as fast and makes later/larger games (like Metal Slug 2 and Pulstar) more tolerable. You can also use backups on them so if you aren't afraid to go that route, technically you don't have to spend money on games at all.

If you haven't bought one yet I would get a dedicated MVS arcade cabinet. They can be found pretty cheap. Probably about the same you will pay for a CMVS setup. I have a dedicated 2 slot cabinet. It is better. No home joystick will match the sturdiness of a real arcade cabinet, and a real arcade monitor is the best way to view those games. There is always room for one arcade game. :)