IGNORED

Amiibo!

Unbeliever

I have a few Amiibos, but I lost interest in them fairly fast.
I wouldn't mind having a few more, (Currently only have Peach, Fox, and Samus) but I'm not going to go crazy and pay extra to get them.
With all the scalping going on, I'm not interested to pay two or three time more for a figure I rarely use.
Thankfully they have expanded use outside of the one game, so they are already a hundred times better than Skylanders. (Had a huge pile of these but got rid of them all.)
I really enjoy the figures as far as use goes, and they all look pretty good. I would argue that the more complex and highly detailed characters look better. (Peach compared to Pikachu, Kirby, or Donkey Kong.)
I know the store I work at has a few of the newer ones still in stock. If anybody is interested, I'm happy to grab them and send them at cost. (I believe we still had some of Zelda, Bowser, and Toon Link.)

• Like 1

Got my Meta Knight in the mail yesterday. It's a really nice figure, actually. I wasn't sure how it'd turn out, but the paintjob is pretty perfect, and the back support is barely visible from the front. Got a pic below.

NZpbkuV.jpg

I think the Dedede I preordered from GameStop is also coming in on Friday, so I'll definitely post a pic of that one when I get it, and then maybe snap a pic of all three Kirby character Amiibos together.

Nice. I agree, Meta Knight and King Dedede look amazing! I'm going over to Best Buy early Friday morning to pick up my preorder for both, and to make sure they reserve them and not sell to the scalpers who will undoubtedly be lined up outside the door. :ponder:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/02/reported_gamestop_memo_shows_massive_delay_in_delivering_some_amiibo_pre-orders

If any of you guys preordered Ike or Dedede from GameStop, you might wanna check this out. As long as you preordered Dedede before December 30th, they say it's supposed to come in the 25th, but if afterwards, it's apparently delayed until summer. Nearly the same thing with Ike. If you preordered before the 27th, you're good, afterwards, he's not coming until spring. Thankfully, I preordered my Dedede the 27th, so I'm good, but this is still pretty ridiculous.

Everyone's saying it's because of some union strike they're having down at the California ports. People are even speculating that's why America's only getting the New 3DS XL, because it'd be harder to ship out the other models as well with the ports basically going stagnant.

I did notice that the New 3DS xL units were extremely short stocked along with the Gold MM Zelda editions. My target got 3 gold LE, 2 red, 2 black. But they still sold more at launch than the standard 3DS xL.

I don't know if the port strike supply has anything to do with the lack of a standard model in the USA, but I feel it may have to do in part with the success of the 2DS and the slump in sales of the standard 3DS model.

IMO, the 3DS xL has far more going for it than just a bigger screen. It is much clearer image, longer battery life, better buttons, more comfortable, and not a total fingerprint magnet like the original. All of those improvements plus more are represented in the standard New 3DS model, so it's reasonable that it would have sold well alongside the xL. The fact it uses faceplates is a bonus.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense Nintendo's reluctance to release both SKUs everywhere else but not in North America. Maybe Nintendo is planning a super secret New 2DS. Maybe they feel they won't make as much profit on the cheaper SKUs. Who the heck knows with Nintendo.

My collection so far

I like how you have them unboxed and arranged according to franchise. That's a lot of empty shelf space IMO. Mine are all crammed on a single shelf because I haven't got that much room. :P

I've focused on the Super Mario, DK, and Kirby characters, 15 total so far including Rosalina. I also got Link + Zelda, Pikachu, and Samus. I'm probably not getting Toon Link though as he looks too derpy, and I don't care for collecting every Pokemon or other minor franchise character. I've also got a mint-in-box Sonic that I'm not counting atm since I'm undecided as to whether I'll open him in the future or hold for trade bait.

Toad (MP) preordered at Gamestop. Not getting the rest of the MP lineup as they are dupes and IMO the Smash characters look better. Wario and Pacman on preorder via import. Also definitely want Zero Suit Samus and the Duck Hunt duo pending announcement, when/if they get released.

I don't have a current collection pic but here's my completed Kirby series. I picked up my Meta Knight and King Dedede preorder at Best Buy Friday morning:

9CED487A-D52C-4C87-D4BAB45B5F7292A0.png

Edited by stardust4ever

I'm only getting Toad too for the Mario series. I decided to only focus on collecting characters, not poses or special colors (have to draw the line somewhere). I also preordered: Pac-Man, Wario, Lucina, Robin, Ness, and Charizard.

Eventually I'll double up on the rows on the shelves!

I'm only getting Toad too for the Mario series. I decided to only focus on collecting characters, not poses or special colors (have to draw the line somewhere). I also preordered: Pac-Man, Wario, Lucina, Robin, Ness, and Charizard.

Oh gosh, I didn't even realize there would be different poses. I'm with you on that, no way do I collect all versions.

Oh gosh, I didn't even realize there would be different poses. I'm with you on that, no way do I collect all versions.

Yup, of the six Amiibo announced for the new Mario Series, five are reissues of Smash Bros characters. Donkey Kong, Wario, and Rosalina will also be compatible with Mario Party 10. Good luck finding Rosalina if you don't have procured one already. I imported mine... :roll:

As you can see by the photo, Toad is the lone standout. I already got him on preorder, and I look forward to the Captain Toad update. This is my humble opinion, but the Mario Party series Amiibo look far more generic than their Smash Bros counterparts. Also, the red bases clash a bit when displayed next to the existing Smash Amiibo. In contrast, the Smash series Amiibo are bursting with personality. I may try to score a gold/platinum Mario, but besides that, Toad is the only one I'm interested in procuring. And knowing Nintendo, it would not surprise me if the Smash series Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, and Bowser get discontinued after the Mario Series get released...

mariopartyamiibo.jpg

Another thought: Mario Party 10 has Daisy and Waluigi as playable characters. Why not release those as Amiibo instead of dupes of existing characters? There's obiously a demand for them as characters. Some fan already made a convincing fake:

waluigi-amiibo-1.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

Where do you pre-order at? I would like to get a Pacman

I forget the website atm [edit: nin-nin-game dotcom], but I preordered my latest wave 4 from Japan. Wario and Pacman. A bit high though. Came out to an even US $49.95 after Paypal conversion. Yen is low right now so every little bit helps. Looking back, I shoulda preordered Ness instead as Wario wil likely be a common. Looks like Amiami is sold out wave 4 atm but they have some current "rare" wave 3 for much cheaper than eBay. Ness, I can live without, but if I get lucky, I'll pick him up. Ness is definitely cooler than Villager and Toon Link. I'm holding a mint in box USA Sonic for future trade bait. Zero Suit Samus and Duck Hunt duo (wave 5+???) are must haves for me. Most of the others I can pass on.

Like I said, I don't care about every minor franchise character and I'm not into Pokemon chars other than mascot Pikachu.

EDIT: Just checked the hidden characters. Must haves: Dr Mario, Bowser Jr, retro favorites Game-N-Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt Duo... Dang, I hope they aren't unobtainium... :ponder:

Edited by stardust4ever

• 2 weeks later...

I heard rumors that Amiibos are getting restocked due to the cancellation of the dock strikes. Still not convinced until I start seeing those uncommons and rares spring up in my area... :ponder:

I also got a wii-Fit Trainer in route from Germany. Quite fitting since they have announced restocks of Villager, Marth, Capt. Falcon, and Lil' Mac, but not WFT. Also heard reports of more Megaman and Sonic popping up. Hopefully those Scalpers will be in a mad rush to liquidate their stocks before they become worthless, LOL!

From the Boulderdash thread. I replaced "Monster High with Amiibo... :P

Quick story...

A few years ago my Daughter took an interest in Amiibo. Me being a natural collector, started picking them up on clearance/etc to help her "complete the set" I always had trouble finding the 3rd party Amiibo so I went online and saw they were commanding huge prices on Ebay. With a little research I found that Nintendo made a MUCH smaller run of the 3rd party Amiibo because, well, Nintendo fans don't really play with them, lol. With this new found information, every time I saw 3rd party Amiibo I would clean them out, give one to my daughter and put the rest in my closet. Once the Ebay prices hit a sizable profit, I would put them up for sale and the money would roll in.

I don't do this with Atari games even though I could, I don't....why you ask? I'm not here for profits, that takes the fun out of it. Amiibo on the other hand I do not give two shits about the scene (and they do have a collecting scene for these things) and am only there for profits, nothing else. I go to Target about every 4 hours anyways it seems because my Wife and kids always seem to "need" something right away so I take a stroll down the video game isle and if I see them, I buy them and flip them and sleep just fine at night, lol.

On the Amiibo forums (yes, they actually have these) they all complain about people like me buying all the 3rd party characters and flipping them, they say things like I'm stealing the toys out of the hands of children and fans but they forget that it's not "my" fault, it's the toy companies fault (in this case Nintendo) even if I didn't go buy them all when I see them, they are still not producing enough Amiibo to meet demand, and even if they were casually purchased by fans they would still run out before everyone that wanted one got one, then the fans will start selling to other fans at inflated prices....and they do this on purpose! (comic books/etc did it too) No, why would somebody do this on purpose you ask? It's because collectors live for the HUNT. If everything was readily available for your collection at any given time you would not be the "serious" collector you are. You would put off purchases "Oh, I want this but I need this instead, I'll just pick it up next week or month or year" or possibly collect something entirely different that has things you can "hunt" for.

The only reason I started all this is because I was "hunting" for Amiibo for my Daughter. Do you think she really cares if she has a Marth? No she doesn't, I the adult, the one that actually spends the money, thought it was fun to hunt for them and it never would have happened if they were all just sitting there to purchase whenever I wanted. Nintendo made me a "collector" of something I don't care about by limiting the supply of certain Amiibo and giving me something to hunt for.

[...]

Boulder Dash and Princess Rescue were both available for ample amounts of time for the serious collectors to snag a copy before the "re sellers"

I went through the local Gamestop and hit a jackpot for me!

http://i.imgur.com/vFqFMDK.jpg

(I would have linked the image directly here, but my phone takes huge resolution pictures.)
These were the only other two (Mega Man and Sonic) I wanted from the Amiibos that have been released.
I might consider a few more characters in the future, but for now... I am happy.

I don't like thinking about all the "scalping" business that is going on. You could argue all you want for or against it.
Replace the term "Amiibo" or "action figure" with "food" or "medicine", and the scenario changes completely.
People will always get cheated by those who say they "got prepared" sooner. Thankfully this situation is less life threatening and more incredibly annoying.
If someone does a few items like this, it's no big deal. It's when someone goes to extreme and hateful lengths (like that guy who spent THOUSANDS buying all the Rosalinas) that it becomes wrong.

I don't like it, but I will deal with it because WORST CASE.. They are just fancy toys.

REGARDLESS OF ALL THAT!... I really like my Mega Man and Sonic. :]

Sadly I jumped the gun a little bit on Megaman. I didn't think I was gonna be able to secure one, so I imported a Rockman from Japan at the tune of $25. It's still in the custody of the postal system, and my local Best Buy is now flooded with Sonic and Megaman. I also preordered a couple wave 4 Amiibo from Japan as well (Wario and Pacman), which sadly cannot be cancelled since I prepaid. Now it appears they may be commons as well if the other 3rd party Sonic and Megaman are any indication.

On the plus side, I got a Wii Fit Trainer in route from Germany, and those supposedly will not be restocked, unlike some of the others.

Also it's a crap shoot, but here's hoping they release Daisy and Waluigi as a second wave Mario Party. Haters gonna hate, but they deserve to get made somehow...

AE59139C-FCAF-4561-9D8B3FC3044B1824.png

Edited by stardust4ever

I'm in the process of doing a Stars and Stripes mod on my Mario Amiibo. I had to rip his head off to avoid getting paint on his skin but it will glue back when all is completed.

Inspiration:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/217061355/custom-nintendo-amiibo-repaint-mario

Here's my latest WIP before I put it away for the night:

post-33189-0-88243100-1426223632_thumb.jpg

While I had the head off before I started painting, I had some fun using the head as a prop for a sick macabre photo op. Gotta wonder what horror is running through Peach's head! :o

game_over___princess_is_mine__by_stardus

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Game-Over-Princess-is-Mine-519783874

Edited by stardust4ever