IGNORED

eBay Global Shipping/Pitney Bowes: problems..?

For anybody that buys on the evil auction site and lives outside the US like me, you have probably seen listings using the "Global Shipping Program". It's supposedly supposed to simplify shipping for US sellers, but from a few videos I found on Youtube last night it's causing buyers and sellers problems.

What happens is the US seller ships the item to some address in Kentucky (usually) to add the customs papers and charges the duty fees and then ships it on to the buyer. But apparently, they are also opening the boxes and repackaging stuff in smaller boxes with less packing material to save shipping costs.

I've recently bought a bunch of Atari stuff on ebay, most from the US and did notice the 2 (from different sellers) 1050 drives were packed in boxes that were a tight fit and the only protection was that of the original Atari box the drives were in. And when I got the 800, I thought it was odd it had very little padding on the bottom of the box to protect the computer other then the bubble wrap. (all were ok btw). One thing I've notice is you never know what carrier will bring it, it's been Canada Post or Canpar mostly..

But I was wondering what experiences other non-US buyers had had with packages that came that way, if they were repacked, or what ever.

Hers some of the videos:

(about 7 minutes in)

I have a solution, I never buy from sellers using the global shipping program (yeah I am limiting my options but I don't care). I never pay any import charges when I use USPS, but global shipping program always have some upfront import charges and that's perhaps because they use UPS as a carrier. I am happy with USPS, never experienced any problems, never paid import charges and I know who I am dealing with (just one entity).

It's been a while since I've actively sold items on eBay, and I remember when this Global Shipping program started. It sounded like a pretty bad deal at the time, especially for buyers. Shipping internationally is NOT that difficult, especially when you can print the customs forms yourself. Adds perhaps a minute or two for me for any international packages I ship. And, since USPS provides tracking for First Class International packages to man countries (nearly all the countries I ship to on a regular basis), that makes international shipping MUCH better. Previously you had to pay for Priority Mail or Express shipping to get tracking, which was just not worth it in nearly all cases.

This business where they ship your package to Kentucky and possibly repackage it is just horrifying. There's no way in hell I'd want anyone doing that to ANY of my packages. Just no, no no no.

I wonder if they will try to force sellers to use this program at some point.

..Al

• Like 1

I very glad you posted this for all to see (and hear)

I also learned more about V.A.T. in the process, almost all the countries have a provision that there is no V.A.T. on used goods,craftworks(recycled or otherwise), and or gifts(less than a certain value). Just got done digging thru a bunch of em.... in fact if the items consists of used parts or pulls it's clear of the mess as well. Interesting stuff.

Ebay has been pulling the old ship it back and they re-imburse game for a while... the shipping fees end up costing more than the item.... so the buyer and the seller loses....

Ebay encourages the over pricing of items to earn more fees.... if you believe for one second ebay doesn't get money from the Global Shipping Program somewhere in that process, Well I got this bridge over here in Crooklyn I could sell ya!

You're covered, em, but you're not really.... it just sounds good till you realize.....in subsection bla bla blah that they basically wash their hands of everything and you! After all you selected the shipping methods and just like the farce of the health care act in the USA you didn't read thru the intentionally misleading text and legaleze to the very last line. ebay home of the scammer and support structure for multitudes of scamming business models. hey epay, re-pack this!

I'm not going to say I'll never buy something that has the Global Shipping ripoff, but now that I have all the main Atari stuff I wanted, I can be a bit more picky. Same goes for my TRS-80 collecting, it would have to be something I just have to have before I'd buy from a selling using it it.

I think what they do is convince the seller they are making it so much easier and that's a lie. A seller would be fine boxing and item up and mailing it at the post office with in the US, yet they are tricked in to thinking it's a big deal to ship to Canada or other countries. The only difference is shipping is a bit more (fine you pass that cost to the buyer, no big deal) and fill out a customs sticker. For those that have never done that, it a piece of paper (usually green) the size of a post-it note that you write a basic description of the item, it's value and if it's a gift or same etc. Even if you've never done one before it won't take a minute to do. Takes me about 10 seconds tops. And you'll save your buyer shipping cost and time, making them happier and getting the seller better feedback.

• Like 1

Prior to the Global Shipping Program I found there were many sellers who would only ship UPS, and I find their fees to Canada exorbitant. They also charge tax on items that would normally pass through USPS/Canada Post without any in order to be able to charge their fees. I once had a item that was supposed to ship USPS Priority Post according to the listing shipped UPS instead, UPS wanted about $30 in fees on top of the taxes on a $65 item(after complaining UPS waived the fees and I only paid the taxes).

More sellers are now willing to ship internationally with the Global Shipping Program, and at least you know what the charges are in advance.

Prior to the Global Shipping Program I found there were many sellers who would only ship UPS, and I find their fees to Canada exorbitant. They also charge tax on items that would normally pass through USPS/Canada Post without any in order to be able to charge their fees. I once had a item that was supposed to ship USPS Priority Post according to the listing shipped UPS instead, UPS wanted about $30 in fees on top of the taxes on a $65 item(after complaining UPS waived the fees and I only paid the taxes).

More sellers are now willing to ship internationally with the Global Shipping Program, and at least you know what the charges are in advance.

Oh I agree the UPS is a horrible way to ship across the border. I too have fell victim of the insane broker fees when a seller promised to ship US Mail and sent it UPS anyway. A $15 fan cost about $50 by the time I got it. And it was something I had to have to get a computer back up and running as the local computer store refused to order what I wanted... I've also had a lot of trouble with UPS just not delivering stuff or damaging hardware.. They destroyed a computer monitor on me once. Or the time I had a COD coming, I was home, they couldn't figure out how to look up my buzzer on the apt directory even though it was listed so they RETURNED the shipment to the sending across the country the same day with only one try! My phone number was also on the shipping label..

So I will agree that the Global Shipping is better then UPS. Carrier Pigeon is better the UPS.

I said my bit in the video and it's not even the customs that bothers me the most - it's the repackaging so they save money. As a buyer, part of what I'm paying for is proper packing. I often request items be boxed and bubble wrapped and I make this request before I bid and the seller will tell me shipping costs will be more and rightfully so. However to have Pitney Bowes take that properly boxed item and shrink it down while removing the protective materials is, to me, theft. I paid for a box that size and weight. They have no right to shrink it so THEY can save money.

This is a headache for buyers and sellers and items will have a much greater chance of arriving damaged, necessitating refunds and returning items. In my case, they lost two packages out of two attempts. In the latest one, Pitney Bowes shipped my package to someone in Canada with the same name as the SELLER, who lives in the US. How does that even happen???

Edited by AtariLeaf

I've actually had very good experiences with eBay Global Shipping. I was very worried when I first researched it and saw that "FRAUD" video a couple years ago. I was expecting a huge rip-off similar to the time I got screwed over by UPS. Instead, it was as pleasant as can be. Usually, with USPS, it takes 3 weeks to get something delivered from US to Canada. Then, Canada Post will lie and say "Attempted Delivery" when no such attempt is actually made, forcing me to drive to the Shoppers Drug Mart to get my damn package. With the eBay Global Shipping, packages were delivered in less than a week and right to my door, the way deliveries should be made. There was none of that "Attempted Delivery" crap. Canpar just leaves it on the door step. Not only that, but it's usually 10-30% cheaper than USPS. (originally was much cheaper than USPS, but prices seem to be rising)

Now, I specifically look for listings that use eBay Global instead of USPS.

IMO there is no reason to use the Global Shipping option. Items shipped with USPS International First Class Mail:

1. Has tracking. Granted, it is not guaranteed tracking, but most of the time it is useful.
  2. The buyer pays less no matter what country they are in.
  3. The customs form and postage from USPS.com prints on the same label. I have not used the PayPal or eBay version, I just like how clean the USPS.com version is. Filling out the customs info takes less than a minute longer than shipping in the US.
  4. eBay still covers the item under buyer protection.

IMO there is no reason to use the Global Shipping option. Items shipped with USPS International First Class Mail:

1. Has tracking. Granted, it is not guaranteed tracking, but most of the time it is useful.

eBay Global has tracking and it is always less expensive than USPS.

3. The customs form and postage from USPS.com prints on the same label. I have not used the PayPal or eBay version, I just like how clean the USPS.com version is. Filling out the customs info takes less than a minute longer than shipping in the US.
  4. eBay still covers the item under buyer protection.

USPS First Class International is limited to only 4lbs. maximum, anything heavier than this must be shipped using a more expensive service!

Less expensive for the seller. More for the buyer.

Always less expensive for the buyer. If I buy a computer keyboard and it's shipped USPS, it's around $65 these days. Global is usually half that.

I'm always looking and comparing the prices. As a Canadian, used to getting ripped off on shipping, I have to.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Usually, with USPS, it takes 3 weeks to get something delivered from US to Canada. Then, Canada Post will lie and say "Attempted Delivery" when no such attempt is actually made,

I think you are exaggerating on both points. I've never seen CP lie about delivery and USPS rarely takes 3 weeks to arrive, usually about a week or 10 days.

I will not buy from users using Global shipping unless my life depended on it.

Edited by atari8warez

I think you are exaggerating on both points. I've never seen CP lie about delivery and USPS rarely takes 3 weeks to arrive, usually about a week or 10 days.

Are you kidding? You've never seen Canada Post lie about "Attempted Delivery"?? At least 80% of my packages are not delivered and I can guarantee they made no attempt. My average is 2 to 3 weeks from the US. Your fast deliveries must mean you're living in an urban area, near a sorting hub. (..or some fantasy land unknown to me, that I wish I could find. ;) )

Are you kidding? You've never seen Canada Post lie about "Attempted Delivery"?? At least 80% of my packages are not delivered and I can guarantee they made no attempt. My average is 2 to 3 weeks from the US. Your fast deliveries must mean you're living in an urban area, near a sorting hub. (..or some fantasy land unknown to me, that I wish I could find. ;) )

I ship stuff to my customers in Canada 1-3x a month, it always goes priority... gets to Canada 2nd business day then takes 10-15 days more to get to them inside Canada.

Always less expensive for the buyer. If I buy a computer keyboard and it's shipped USPS, it's around $65 these days. Global is usually half that.

I'm always looking and comparing the prices. As a Canadian, used to getting ripped off on shipping, I have to.

It is the shipping method the shipper is using. I could ship one using USPS First Class international for about $18 to Canada and about $22 world wide.

I mostly ship CIB Video Games. 1 game at 11oz ships to Canada for $8.24 and to the world for $13.41. I have shipped hundreds of them.

Edited by SoulBuster

It's not just the shipping method, it's also the value of the contents. Is it a sectionable value for the commodity? Is it an informal value? Is it a formal value? Duty, depending on the tariff number, can range from 0% to quite high as well.

Atari 8 bit computer, U.S. HTS is going to be 8471490000 (Canada will be something similar but lets pretend you are importing to the U.S.) and would be free of duty, but is going to require FCC submission (again lets just pretend you are importing to the U.S.), a power adapter 8504409550 and be 0-1.5% duty depending on the country of origin... but ahhh want to import a men's wool woven suit... 17.5% duty!

Then you have to consider every broker has different fees. They might charge nothing for a section, this much minimum for a single informal shipment, this much minimum for an informal shipment, this much minimum for a formal shipment... then they might charge more for each other applicable government agency that requires clearance (in the u.s. stuff like EPA, DOT, FDA, ATF, FCC etc). So really it depends on the goods, value of the goods, brokerage firm etc not just the carrier.

be. Usually, with USPS, it takes 3 weeks to get something delivered from US to Canada. Then, Canada Post will lie and say "Attempted Delivery" when no such attempt is actually made, forcing me to drive to the Shoppers Drug Mart to get my damn package.

I've had that happen a number of times too,, Except I have to go to a grungy convenience store that's a couple miles away in am area I usually avoid due to the high traffic in the area. I refuse to mail anything for that postal outlet as they try to make you buy a higher service. So when I have to go there, I get my stuff and backtrack 15 minutes to go to a different outlet where they treat me fair.

I have on just before Christmas they marked it "name not on directory". My name has been on the apartment directory almost 7 years now..

FedEx is my favorite since they come at almost exactly the same time every time.. And the delivery woman is cute and way too young... lol

I said my bit in the video and it's not even the customs that bothers me the most - it's the repackaging so they save money. As a buyer, part of what I'm paying for is proper packing. I often request items be boxed and bubble wrapped and I make this request before I bid and the seller will tell me shipping costs will be more and rightfully so. However to have Pitney Bowes take that properly boxed item and shrink it down while removing the protective materials is, to me, theft. I paid for a box that size and weight. They have no right to shrink it so THEY can save money.

This is a headache for buyers and sellers and items will have a much greater chance of arriving damaged, necessitating refunds and returning items. In my case, they lost two packages out of two attempts. In the latest one, Pitney Bowes shipped my package to someone in Canada with the same name as the SELLER, who lives in the US. How does that even happen???

First off, thanks for chiming in and I did like the videos of yours that I watched. And you are lucky to have people to buy and trade with in person. I'm in London ON btw.. Only thing around here is store that has a small selection 2600 carts, but mostly caters to the more modern game system. and has not for the computers at all. So Have to use ebay and I have an ad on kajiji looking for TRS80's right now... (I've rarely had any luck with kajiji though..)

I've noticed "ebay tape" on some of the packages I have received, but I didn't pay much attention to it.. Now a will thanks to you. So I have to guess those boxes had be repacked too. I'm one of those sellers that believe in over doing the packing, and hate that idea of somebody who is just paid to re-stuff boxes. I would like to think most sellers care about what they are selling and do a go job packing, and with some stuff it could require special handling. Like when I sold a couple tube type ham radios that went to the US, I spent 3 hours on one building a foam packing frame hot gluing it all together totally encasing the radio and protecting the 40 year old knobs and front panel. I hate to thing some body being paid to repack as fast at the can handling something like that.

And the mess you had with them shipping to somebody with the same name as the seller is totally insane. All they had to do it pull up the tracking info and that should have told them where it was from and going to.

First off, thanks for chiming in and I did like the videos of yours that I watched. And you are lucky to have people to buy and trade with in person. I'm in London ON btw.. Only thing around here is store that has a small selection 2600 carts, but mostly caters to the more modern game system. and has not for the computers at all. So Have to use ebay and I have an ad on kajiji looking for TRS80's right now... (I've rarely had any luck with kajiji though..)

There should be a "Game Cycle" store that's open now in London. Give them a try if you haven't. They've got two stores here in Windsor and I believe they just opened a store in your area.

There should be a "Game Cycle" store that's open now in London. Give them a try if you haven't. They've got two stores here in Windsor and I believe they just opened a store in your area.

Yes, that's the store I was talking about, just couldn't think of the name off hand. Been a while since I've been there last, guess it's about time for another visit. I picked over there 2600 carts pretty good last time I was there :)

• Like 1