IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Hmm, I can't do much right now, but would you be open to doing more later? Around Summer time?

Perhaps, I don't know. The most orders are done in december 2014. If the people still make orders, a second run makes sence. But if just 10 or 20 orders will come next months, it is impossible. Because of the high production costs.

Perhaps, I don't know. The most orders are done in december 2014. If the people still make orders, a second run makes sence. But if just 10 or 20 orders will come next months, it is impossible. Because of the high production costs.

Hello everyone ! I'm new to this forum. I'm usually into automotive mods but I mod video game consoles for fun also which brings me here. Mcwill I'm trying to order a kit from you so I can mod my Lynx 2 since Dec 14 2014. I don't know if your sending orders to the US yet since I'm in California. I hope you didn't forget about me !

@mcwill

i guess there will be a lot more orders if the first posts about your screens will be on several websites/forum/facebook groups.

I'd write a short message to scorp.ius from circuit-board.de. He'd shurely make a retro-snippet and has many followers.

Thank you very much!

But wait, you told a friend of mine he will still have a chance in a few months. So do you plan a second run? Wouldn't want him to miss out.^^

Today, a few kits are available. But the next boards in production, cause of the new orders. If the last one is sold, you just have to wait 2-3 weeks.

So the boards are available for your friend in a few months.

I received the new LCD today. Looks awesome!

I'm currently trying to add rechargable LiIon-Cells to my Lynx. Chargable with USB :)

Lynx_LCD_LiIon.jpg?_subject_uid=8904639&

Thorax, are you well versed in this or experimenting?

I'd look up the Nomad battery mod for some reference tips, though you'd be adding a new internal port. Maybe your just way better off with rechargeable batteries in this case though sir.

Thorax, are you well versed in this or experimenting?

I'd look up the Nomad battery mod for some reference tips, though you'd be adding a new internal port. Maybe your just way better off with rechargeable batteries in this case though sir.

I think i do know what I'm doing. I just experimented with the step-up-converter to check if there's any interference with the Lynx. Turns out it works fine. I added two 18650 Li-Ion cells in parallel, undervoltage protection and a USB-charger. I'm not sure about the runtime yet, but i played for about 3 hours and had no problems. If the step-up was 100% efficient, the Lynx would run for about 8.6 hours. If the efficiency of the step-up is at about 75% I'd still have about 6.5 hours runtime :)

LynxInnereien.jpg

LynxBuchse.jpg

• Like 1

Fitted the LCD replacement to a broken Lynx I have today, now works great and display is wonderful, so much nicer than the original one. Have fitted the VGA connector but not had chance to play on a big screen yet.

The circuit board seem well made, lot nicer than those early pics McWill posted. Very minor quibble but would have been nice to have some kind of brightness adjustment, if playing in a dark room it could go a bit lower. Also might see if I can find a differnt VGA connector thats black as the white one stands out a little.

Probably order another one now :-)

Edited by Radfoo
  • Like 1

I'm actually quite intrigued about those components, what they are and why theyre not essential with this mod..

It's essentially a royer osciallator or CCFL inverter which converts low DC as provided by batteries to high AC, as needed for the old lynx backlight. The new LCD does use LEDs, which only need low DC, so the inverter is no longer useful. The overall current consumption goes down, if these unnecessary parts are removed, so battery runtime goes up :)

Clearly we need to harness McWill's talents - next challenge, a new LCD screen for the Lynx 1 :grin:

I guess he's to busy to answer right now, but i think this will indeed be his next project.

Fitted the LCD replacement to a broken Lynx I have today, now works great and display is wonderful, so much nicer than the original one. Have fitted the VGA connector but not had chance to play on a big screen yet.

The circuit board seem well made, lot nicer than those early pics McWill posted. Very minor quibble but would have been nice to have some kind of brightness adjustment, if playing in a dark room it could go a bit lower. Also might see if I can find a differnt VGA connector thats black as the white one stands out a little.

Probably order another one now :-)

I used a ASSMANN A-HDS 15 LL/Z VGA Connector which has black plastic.

I would love to have this upgrade, but soldering is not necessarily my strong suit. How much is the mod kit? How to get one?

You can get one right from McWill by writing an Email to: order-lynx-lcd[at]online[dot]de

He charges 95€ plus shipping depending on where you live. I think he used to mod Lynxes himself, but i don't know if he has any time for it right now.

McWill, I just want to throw this out there... okay.

Forgive me guys as I know it's an Atari forum, but..

McWill, do you have access to Sega Game Gear?

That one is in the same desperate need of this mod.

I can't imagine you wouldn't find sales on some forum if you crack that one.

If your taking orders I will see if I can pitch in for some.

• Like 1