IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

I really love how the VGA out looks on the Lynx I compared to the location on the II. I'm now thinking of finding a Lynx I to have modded. How do you prevent the screen from being scratched up like the old days?

I also need to track down a Lynx 1 at some point. There has to be a pile of them in a crate somewhere, probably above the ark of the covenant.

• Like 1

I think that crate have been moved after Indy accidentally knocked the Ark over while being chased by the evil Germans.

I forgot about that happening in Crystal skull. You'd think hollywood would have a new villain after 70 years but they seem to be having a hard time giving that trope a rest...

• Like 1

I forgot about that happening in Crystal skull. You'd think hollywood would have a new villain after 70 years but they seem to be having a hard time giving that trope a rest...

Well, they could have used Taliban, Al Qaeda, or Isis by now. They have used North Korea a few times. But I think evil Germans just worked better for Indiana Jones franchise.

Hi all.

I'm going to be attempting the Lynx 2 mod this weekend. After looking at all the photos and advice on this thread I am fairly confident I can do it :)

I don't have any stuff though. I'm going to pop to Maplin so it would be great if someone could let me know what I need.

Here is what I think:

IDE cable: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ribbon-ide-to-ata-33-70cm-dg40t

Soldering Iron: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/weller-sp25nuk-soldering-iron-with-led-light-25-watt-230-volt-r31zy

Solder: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/frys-metals-powerflow-solder-wire-3mm-250g-reel-r31yz

De-Solder Pump: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/de-solder-pump-n40ch

Does that look OK?

Edit: I should say I'm not doing the VGA mod, just the screen replacement.

Edited by boomah

It's a good idea to make sure you have all the other tools like wire strippers, pliers, a scalpel and side cutters. Don't dismiss the idea of using a magnifying glass - or one of those multi holder tools that can grip the PCB, a wire and magnify it all at the same time.

I know my eyesight is now too poor to naturally solder - I used to be able to do this with my bare eyes - so sad :_( ...

I would also recommend solder braid, it makes cleaning up any accidental splashes that bridge tracks much easier than a desoldering pump, it leads to a good tidy removal of solder.

I assume you know how to use soldering tools? Probably a good idea to practice removing components from a dead PCB first just to refresh your memory if it's been a while.

One last tip, I'd really not seriously recommend IDE cables if I were going to do it properly, they are multi-strand and should be tinned. The rigidity of them will make it a bit more hassle. I got really thin single core mod wire, cut about 10 of them to about 15 cm each, stripped the ends, tinned the pads on the LCD mod first and primed all the pads on the lynx with fresh solder after removing the unneeded components and tidying their pads.

I know other people including the creator of the mod have had success, but as I found, if you just use what's lying around, you're setting yourself up to fail.

P.P.P.P.P.P!

It's a good idea to make sure you have all the other tools like wire strippers, pliers, a scalpel and side cutters. Don't dismiss the idea of using a magnifying glass - or one of those multi holder tools that can grip the PCB, a wire and magnify it all at the same time.

I know my eyesight is now too poor to naturally solder - I used to be able to do this with my bare eyes - so sad :_( ...

I would also recommend solder braid, it makes cleaning up any accidental splashes that bridge tracks much easier than a desoldering pump, it leads to a good tidy removal of solder.

I assume you know how to use soldering tools? Probably a good idea to practice removing components from a dead PCB first just to refresh your memory if it's been a while.

One last tip, I'd really not seriously recommend IDE cables if I were going to do it properly, they are multi-strand and should be tinned. The rigidity of them will make it a bit more hassle. I got really thin single core mod wire, cut about 10 of them to about 15 cm each, stripped the ends, tinned the pads on the LCD mod first and primed all the pads on the lynx with fresh solder after removing the unneeded components and tidying their pads.

I know other people including the creator of the mod have had success, but as I found, if you just use what's lying around, you're setting yourself up to fail.

P.P.P.P.P.P!

Thanks very much for the advice. I cannot wait to do it but I want to do it properly!

I did some soldering a long time ago. But you are right I should practice first :)

It's been said, but it bears repeating - I received the mod in the mail today. I have not hooked it up, but I wanted to comment on a couple of things. 1) Mc Will shipped the units next day. 2) The boards are supurb quailty. I would venture to say, in fact, much higher quality than MANY high-volume commercial products.

Thanks for making these boards Mc Will.

• Like 1

I know it has been said lots of times already but I just have to say it again:

A very big thank you to McWill for making this happen. What a transformation - I'm playing the games as I remember them from a long time ago.

And if anyone is on the fence about doing the operation, if I can do it you can do it!

Dg1TOPU.jpg

rHue5Ty.jpg

So without having to read through all 17 pages, where do you buy the VGA out kit and how hard is it to install?

Send a PM to McWill. If you can solder, have a steady hand, have some experience de-soldering components, and are comfortable taking apart electronics then you can do this. If you lack any if the above, have someone else do it. :)

• Like 1

Hi,the idea of connecting an atari lynx to a vga screen sounds cool, but howabout ever better, what if we could creatate a chip wich is able to recognize the original 160x100 pixel resolution from those lynx games and upscales them to hd, yes the handy emulator does have eagle mode but it still leaves a lot to be desire, so what if that chip also vectorizes those graphics to avoid blockey jagged edges in the image, yes it requires a lot of proccesing power but the benefit of it is that we then can enjoy games like never before and to make it up for the low resolution either too.

If you can solder, have a steady hand, have some experience de-soldering components, and are comfortable taking apart electronics then you can do this. If you lack any if the above, have someone else do it. :)

I lack all the above unfortunately. I want to get better at it, but I don't think this is the project on which to hone my skills.

I scored a bundle of four Lynx 2 units cheap the other day - sold as not working, but one works perfectly, and another one plays blind so is a perfect candidate for the screen mod! The other two work and play, but have minor issues. So I'll be finally getting around to doing the screen mod!

post-34908-0-03739600-1430803218_thumb.jpg