Jump to content
evilevoix

What did you buy today?.........

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

This afternoon I picked up Animal Crossing: New Horizons, as well a copy of Tetris 99. I figured I needed the Nintendo Switch Online membership to play Animal Crossing with friends, and an extra $10 for a physical copy of Tetris on the Switch sounded like a pretty fine deal :)

 

I prefer physical copies of everything as well. Just ask anyone that made a purchase from the Wii Shop! If a system goes away at least I have the original game even if it is sans updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClassicGMR said:

I prefer physical copies of everything as well. Just ask anyone that made a purchase from the Wii Shop! If a system goes away at least I have the original game even if it is sans updates.

In the case of AC on switch, our physical copies aren't complete games. Nintendo has been releasing near daily updates to the game since we started playing as evidenced by the version numbers on the title screen. I do know events and furniture associated with the events weren't even present in the games initial release. So my point being that in the future, if trying to play AC through your switch without any of the patches might be a really boring experience. Maybe a newer release of it over time will come out with all the updates already applied?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should just develop a game card that can download the updates to it and store them on the card.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shin Megami Tensei IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL OSTs. I waited far too long to get these, and the SMT IV OST is now rare and quite expensive for an OST. I put the obi for the IV FINAL OST inside the case to prevent it from being lost or damaged.

Pic_0404_269.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You may now call me a fool. I wasn't planning on buying this, but I found it today and didn't need it, so naturally...

Pic_0404_270.jpg

I know it's TG-16, but it looks like a multi-pedal....by far one of the ugliest cases for a game system

I wouldn't know whether to play it or step on it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddhell said:

I know it's TG-16, but it looks like a multi-pedal....by far one of the ugliest cases for a game system

I wouldn't know whether to play it or step on it...

You should see what happens when you attach the Super CD ROM2 to it.

 

Not mine, but here you go.

 

2906429978_016e94c233_o.jpg

 

And I might add that the SuperGrafx is actually really cool looking in person, like World War II-era German military machinery. It looks pretty hideous in pictures, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You should see what happens when you attach the Super CD ROM2 to it.

 

Not mine, but here you go.

 

2906429978_016e94c233_o.jpg

 

And I might add that the SuperGrafx is actually really cool looking in person, like World War II-era German military machinery. It looks pretty hideous in pictures, though.

Don't forget to crack it open and remove the center boss support post from the thing! Those are known to crack the main boards over time and is a recommended thing to do?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Don't forget to crack it open and remove the center boss support post from the thing! Those are known to crack the main boards over time and is a recommended thing to do?

 

Already working on it! I ordered the screwdriver already, so now I need something to kill that stupid post. Not sure what the best thing for that is, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Already working on it! I ordered the screwdriver already, so now I need something to kill that stupid post. Not sure what the best thing for that is, though.

Just use a pair of wire cutters to cut down the side of the post and then use some pliers to pull the bits away. It doesn't have to be removed flush to the casing just enough be removed that it won't put constant pressure down onto the main board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Just use a pair of wire cutters to cut down the side of the post and then use some pliers to pull the bits away. It doesn't have to be removed flush to the casing just enough be removed that it won't put constant pressure down onto the main board.

 

Yeah, I was going to try my Leatherman's wire cutters on it to see if I could do it with that. I don't know if that will open wide enough to be able to grip it, but if that doesn't work, the wood saw will probably do it! That's a bit overdoing it, perhaps, but in theory I imagine it should work. Bad for the blade to cut plastic, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my flush cutters for this from time to time when needed. Just make a few cuts down the length of the post and then use needle nose pliers to pull the sections off. In some cases, I'm able to remove the boss post all the way to the casing pretty cleanly but if that happens, then I know the plastic was very brittle and likely to break on its own at any given moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I use my flush cutters for this from time to time when needed. Just make a few cuts down the length of the post and then use needle nose pliers to pull the sections off. In some cases, I'm able to remove the boss post all the way to the casing pretty cleanly but if that happens, then I know the plastic was very brittle and likely to break on its own at any given moment.

 

Yeah, I'll take a look at my options once the screwdriver gets here in a few days and buy the tools if I can't use what I've got now. There is a hardware store ~10 minutes away on foot, so that's no problem.

 

It's not like I can play it anyway since apparently the only thing more rare than the SuperGrafx (aside from the LT and the DUO Monitor) is the AC adaptor for the SuperGrafx. I've got a 9V 1A AC adaptor and a plug size converter coming. I think that shouldn't kill the SuperGrafx since the original PAD-113 is 9V 800mA... right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not familiar with the original PSU requirements for the supergrafx. The main 3 things for any PSU to work that you need to look for are the output voltage being the same or within +/- a volt since the VRs in the console will convert everything down to what is actually needed. You need to make sure the output amperage meets or exceeds the original PSU, and most importantly, is that the polarity be the same.

 

I actually use the original JPN PSU with my TurboDUO on my actual house current and have for years without any issues. Although if I have been playing the TurboDUO for a while, the PSU will eventually be buzzing pretty loudly. But I have a cable adapter on hand so I can use a Genesis PSU with my TurboDUO should that be needed in the future. I'm not as familiar with the Super Grafx so I don't know the exact specs on its PSU. Does it state the requirements on the case molding anywhere?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not familiar with the original PSU requirements for the supergrafx. The main 3 things for any PSU to work that you need to look for are the output voltage being the same or within +/- a volt since the VRs in the console will convert everything down to what is actually needed. You need to make sure the output amperage meets or exceeds the original PSU, and most importantly, is that the polarity be the same.

 

I actually use the original JPN PSU with my TurboDUO on my actual house current and have for years without any issues. Although if I have been playing the TurboDUO for a while, the PSU will eventually be buzzing pretty loudly. But I have a cable adapter on hand so I can use a Genesis PSU with my TurboDUO should that be needed in the future. I'm not as familiar with the Super Grafx so I don't know the exact specs on its PSU. Does it state the requirements on the case molding anywhere?

 

It says 消費電力 7W on the bottom, which I guess translates to electricity consumption. The PAD-113 that is supposed to come with the SuperGrafx is 9V 800mA center negative, and some Japanese website says I should be fine with a 9V 1A center negative, which is what I ordered, but still, I'd rather not destroy my SuperGrafx, especially since I've been looking all over town for 6 months to find one.

 

Here is a picture of the PAD-113

 

DSCF5990.jpg

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You only have to meet or exceed the amerpage onthe PSU. The console will only take the amount of current is needs to operate. The PSU will not force feed the full current load to the console. Basically it means that the PSU can provide up to 1am of current output. Not that it will push 1amp of current.

 

So as long as the adapter you have is 9v rated output with center tip negative and at least 800mA output of current, you will be fine. 

 

Heck, I use Sega Genesis model 1 adapters on a good chunk of my Roland synths modules because they are the same size adapter with the correct polarity and voltage and the Genesis PSUs exceed the required current amperage needed as most of my Roland modules only need about 500mA to 800mA to operate.

 

Hopefully that makes more sense on why a PSU with more amperage is perfectly okay for use with devices that require less?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You only have to meet or exceed the amerpage onthe PSU. The console will only take the amount of current is needs to operate. The PSU will not force feed the full current load to the console. Basically it means that the PSU can provide up to 1am of current output. Not that it will push 1amp of current.

 

So as long as the adapter you have is 9v rated output with center tip negative and at least 800mA output of current, you will be fine. 

 

Heck, I use Sega Genesis model 1 adapters on a good chunk of my Roland synths modules because they are the same size adapter with the correct polarity and voltage and the Genesis PSUs exceed the required current amperage needed as most of my Roland modules only need about 500mA to 800mA to operate.

 

Hopefully that makes more sense on why a PSU with more amperage is perfectly okay for use with devices that require less?

 

Yeah, thanks. The first thing I did when I got home after buying it was to inspect my Mega Drive/Mega-CD (SA-160A) and Super 32X/Nomad (SA-190) AC adaptors to see if they'd work since I know those can sometimes be used on other systems. SA-190 is center positive and neither type fits in the SuperGrafx anyway, so I will just have to wait a few more days to get the generic one that I ordered.

 

I really should get some newly manufactured PSUs for everything since my Sega PSUs get a little warm if I leave them plugged in, even if I don't use the system for a few days. I don't remember if the ones for my CoreGrafx or IFU do that, but now that I have the SuperGrafx and I've had the SSDS3 for some time the CoreGrafx is basically going to be my travel PC Engine in case I visit my family in the USA or go on a trip here in Japan somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been using the lockdown to slowly get through and cleanup purchases from the last year or so. Finally finished today. Quite a while back I bought a large lot of boxes in various condition from great to really bad.  I dug through that lot today and cleaned up as best I could. Certainly some in this lot that I can use. It’s quite a few for a pretty good price if I recall correctly. 

 

 

1C8E60AA-E40A-4B4E-9AF8-A76145EF5CA6.jpeg

57578C26-2A6A-493C-AA25-02B61450CF80.jpeg

4C9EE83F-48C7-490D-8C30-AAAC33BBEAA3.jpeg

59E141EF-3053-4435-B1C2-002744A478E7.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Octopath Traveler OST get!!

 

This is tied with the Shin Megami Tensei IV OST, which I got the other day, as my favourite OST of the past 10 years, and it might even be better! I still love the late 80s/early 90s synth and also the heavy rock on the SMT IV OST, though, so it's extremely difficult to choose between the two of them so I won't even try!

 

Octopath Traveler has a beautiful OST (Beyond just the music itself, but also the actual physical thing). It's a 4 disc set like the SMT IV OST, and although the track list on the back and the obi are entirely in Japanese, the book inside, which is made of high-quality glossy paper, is dual-language Japanese and English for everything, including the interview with the producer, assistant producer, and composer, so don't worry if you can't read Japanese. It has 85 tracks total and YOU MUST GET THIS ONE if you enjoyed the beautiful music in this awesome game!

 

Pic_0406_274.thumb.jpg.b32a223dc256364a44a71fb0a9677aa5.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been updating to HDMI solutions lately and I really wanted a 2nd SNES for the basement so I would only have to move the Everdrive cartridge and not the whole system. I went with a SNES Challenger Console by Pound. It got decent to good reviews, has a 4:3 mode which is really what I want for my older systems and was under $50! I apologize to any purists out there but this thing rocks! I am going to replace my original SNES in my upstairs office (gets more use there) and put it in the basement setup. I love how this displays on my HDMI tv and the fact I can use my original SNES controllers with it.

 

product_shot-12.jpg

 

EDIT: Can anyone suggest an NES solution similar to this? Without spending $900 of course.

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered a few gamecube replacement analog sticks.  Ditching that stupid yellow nub is a huge improvement,  especially for fps.

20200407_151522.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Sega Ages game I used to have was Thunder Force IV, but I noticed they are all on sale, so I might have bought a few too many just now...

 

I'd never played the arcade versions of the 4 arcade games I bought, so it was very nice to finally play them for the first time. Virtua Racing is a bit different since it seems to be a remake and not an emulation of the original arcade game like the others are, but it's very nice. Too bad it doesn't have the extra stuff from Virtua Racing Deluxe, but it's still way better than Deluxe is.

2020040818322100-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

 

It's also very nice to have portable Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 (with optional Knuckles) without having to bring the Nomad with me. Having the drop dash in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 feels really weird, but you can turn it off if you want. I like the drop dash, and every time I've played Sonic 1, 2, 3 (&K), or CD after Mania I keep trying to drop dash. Now it actually happens! Only Sonic has it, of course, so that's one more reason to never be Tails in Sonic 2 unless you want to get all of the Chaos Emeralds but don't want to be Super. Still feels extremely wrong to use it in both of these games, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first A8 series computer (my peers and I all had C-64 back then)

atari400.thumb.jpg.e90c232a4785144e791e5960f34bcd04.jpg

 

I've wanted one for a long time, this one looks a little dirty but it's already upgraded to 48k RAM.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an Intellivision II of ebay 50CAD. With 14 games, 12 boxed.

 

Was as-is missing part, but beside the switch box I got everything.  Work like charm too! 

MVIMG_20200409_110849.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...