IGNORED

Donkey Kong - Arcade Edition

phattyboombatty

Pretty cool to have all 4 levels and some little improvments over the original.

Negatives IMO

sound sucks

no pies (cement pans) in 4th screen

What are your plans for this it looks complete....sell the rom file? Making a homebrew cart for sale?

Suggestions are all good. Thanks for the input!

I should have mentioned that this is a beta. A work-in-progress. A hack of the "Super DK!" ROM that has been floating out there for over a decade. All main characters are basically pixel-accurate to the arcade version. Since I've built on top of an existing work, I am using the same mechanics of the original game. I strived to work (read: hack) as many features as I could, but I've hit the wall on a lot of things. That said, I'm seeking help to finish this project.

More to come

Edited by phattyboombatty
  • Like 2

For the sound, you really have to get the timing right or it sounds much worse than it is.

When I was developing the Donkey Knog level background tunes for the Mockingboard on the Apple, I used a sample from the arcade and compared it vs what I was creating.
It took a while to get the timing to match but then I was editing by hand.

The person hacking the Apple version of Donkey Kong ended up not using any of my work but the data is in a thread titled something like 'It's on like Donkey Kong'.
You wouldn't be able to use the actual note data but you could extract the delay between notes. I suppose a conversion utility could be written to convert notes as well but other register settings wouldn't be of any use.

I think I was working on the sound for jumping but I don't know if that's in the code.

Here is the enhanced version of DK for ADAM. It has a lot of the missing pieces observed in the 32K version.

These are two different ROMs, and it has taken me the better part of a year to make all of these changes. I've received a lot of inspiration from others on AA. Before anyone asks, the main reason for the missing tiles, sprites, or corrupted-looking graphics is due to severe limitations in the original programming of the game. I'm extremely fortunate that I've been able to make it this far!

Also, I wanted to point out a few cool things: DK and Mario are pixel-height perfect. Some compromises had to be made to other graphics, but Mario is arcade-accurate. Barrels are size-accurate. Girders are arcade-accurate... there are a lot of things that I wanted to preserve but I just kept hitting walls. I figured it was finally time to post this, because I'm more or less sick of picking at it, and I'd love to enlist a little bit of help to finish this thing. I've had a long-time dream of seeing an improved version of DK on the CV. I always knew that they could've done a little bit better, utilized more colors, and tightened things up a bit. That's what you have here: a reworking of a great port of a great game! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Thanks for posting! This is a hack that was all done by me. It has nothing to do with anyone else’s good work. The good work is being done by the Opcode team. I’ll release my graphical hack if people want it, and it doesn’t interfere with anyone’s plans/IP or any claims of publishing right-of-way.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/22/2018 at 12:34 PM, phattyboombatty said:

Thanks for posting! This is a hack that was all done by me. It has nothing to do with anyone else’s good work. The good work is being done by the Opcode team. I’ll release my graphical hack if people want it, and it doesn’t interfere with anyone’s plans/IP or any claims of publishing right-of-way.

I was just curious. How big did these two ROMs end up being? It sounds like they started at less than 16k and 32 24k and the one in the first post was 32k, but more was done (of course, some of the 32k could be empty code).

22 minutes ago, Swami said:

I was just curious. How big did these two ROMs end up being? It sounds like they started at less than 16k and 32k and the one in the first post was 32k, but more was done (of course, some of the 32k could be empty code).

I believe they are 32k and 128k, respectively. I can check tonight. 

• 1 year later...