AtariAge High Score Club Season 12 Discussion

High Score Club  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will you play this season

• Somewhere between YES and almost certainly
    • Occasionally/If I can find a working joystick
    • Let's be blunt about this... NO!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's that time of year when I try and round up a party of (escaped) Atari players to voyage into the unknown for another season of HSC action. Season 12 will start in a week or so [end of Jan] so service those joysticks and join in :)

I am keen to appeal to those who play Atari regularly but of course everyone is welcome to join in (at any time), and you don't have to play all the games. New players be sure to checkout the Beginners Guide

It's a High Score Club, so you don't have to be good at the games to take part, not that we don't have some very good players for those who wan't a serious challenge. It's often fun to compare similar games head to head and I usually sneak in a couple of BASIC games for punishment, support some of the current programmers and have bonus challenges and a few special rounds along the way.

My preferred format is two week rounds usually with a couple of games but if people want a round each week or every 10 days or something then post away...

trbb :)

p.s. If anyone can give this a mention on other A8 web-sites please do

Hi, trbb!

Great news, that new season will be start for few days ;) I prefer one game for one round, and - sometimes - add 1-2 games as bonus games. I have not so much time to play multigames round, but I like Atari games ;)

For me - ideal will be one games for two weeks. And maybe more games from parties ;)

Sikor

• Like 2

Another HSC regular here (well, regular for half of last season anyway :) ).

I definitely prefer the 2 weeks per round format. Anything shorter than that would make it difficult to participate in each round for myself. The number of games per round doesn't matter, although I liked the variety (and clever round names) when more than one was involved.

For those who have never participated: it's the one spot on the internet where it's just about the games - no drama (other than having your high score beaten at the last minute but trbb :) ).

FWIW I recommend it, even if you're coming in to it late or just want to play a round here and a round there. It's one thing to break out the Atari to play the games you loved. It's totally another to have that incentive to play just one more time because you're competing against others.

• Like 1

I didn't play much the last season because the multi-game format overwhelmed me. I would prefer one game, two at the most for each round. When you play other HSCs as well as this one, a multi-game format just gets to be too much.

As for types of games...I'll play anything. I like a mix of the classics as well as some of the new games. New games are fun, but you can't beat an occassional round of Pac-Man, Donkey kong, etc.

• Like 1

I agree with Sikor...

Due time management one main game and one bonus point game per round will be enough in my oppinion.

And also the statement from Bunsen with the new games I like.

Maybe we can mix all together:

One round we got the main (old) game and the (new) game bonus point

next round

we got main (new) game and (old) game bonus point

in swap

• Like 1

I second jblenkle's comments... One or two games per round, lasting two weeks, would be a lot easier to make time for. One main game and one bonus perhaps?

Although I enjoyed the hell out of the two big tournaments Millipede Madness and Space Blastathon in 2013... maybe just one round like that this year?

Oh and definitely a mix of new and old games.

• Like 2

I had fun playing Season 12 of the High Score Club. I'll definitely dip my hand in this year from time to time.

I prefer games that I haven't played before, although old classics now and then are fun too. New games don't have to be new homebrews (although that's always welcome). I really like to play NTSC games, as then I can play on real hardware. However, it seems that the opposite holds true for most players (since they play from outside the U.S.). Since many of the games are only in PAL formats, there are many more games available to choose from, which is why a good emulator (like Altirra!) comes in extra handy and really is a must-use.

I'd say that my favorite part of participating in the high score club for the first time this past season is that I played some games that I have played before, but have only experienced them in passing. A couple of examples of games that I learned to play better (or correctly) this past season are "A.E.," "Bristles," "Crossfire," and "Flip and Flop." I discovered that I really enjoyed "Flip and Flop" and actually have flipped on my Atari quite a few times since the "F" round just to play this game.
I also learned some new strategies to old favorites. The most fun round for me was Round 6 when I played "Frogger II" to attempt to earn the most points on level 1. That really required some non-standard gameplay (including dying on purpose). I don't even recall my placement for that "Frogger II" fun challenge: just playing it was all the fun that I needed. I think my wife got pretty tired of hearing me say, "I'm gonna go fit in a couple of rounds of "Frogger II."

There were several PAL games that were new to me. "Batty Builders" is one in particular that was quite hard but had me giving the game "just one more go" more times than I should have probably done.
I don't usually play prototypes because when a game isn't finished then there is usually a good reason, but "Ixion" proved to be quite different. "Ixion" was a great game that seems better on the Atari home computer than the arcade game counterpart.
Looking at the end of list this season there are a few games that I wish I'd gotten to try my hand at playing. I've never been able to properly play "Vanguard." "Wavy Navy" has a paddle option that is pretty neat, but that I haven't used it since getting properly working paddle controllers. "Zenji" is an Activision game that I never understood, but would learn to love to play properly.

The High Score Club has taught me that reading the game's manual really can make all the difference on how well I play a game. Who would have figured?

• Like 1

Not that any change will improve my participation rate, Id also vote for 1 main game to play. Sometimes the multi games worked against me wanting to post.

I like the themes and effort you put into that tbb - maybe 1 main game with some history/background on other related games that are not counted scorewise.

• Like 2

I had to drop out for most of the second half of the last season due to workload but will try to participate again. I'd prefer single or occasional dual-game rounds two weeks long (to give me a chance to find some time to play.

A good mix of old and new games would be great (although almost anything published after 1985 is "new" to me). I'd appreciate some polish games from the 90s as that's a mostly blank map for me.

• Like 1

Some interesting comments, please keep them coming. I'm sure there must be a few hardened A8 gamers out there who might take part... c'mon guys ;)

I'll open up the new season tomorrow (24th) for suggestions for the first poll; then start the season proper next weekend :)

You know my opinion therealbountybob, ONE game per round and I'm in :)

The problem with this is if the game is Millipede or DK then great I can play it all day every day, but if it's say Tapper then on my first go I reach level 10 and that's it, - almost impossible to make any progress. Or if the game takes a long time to play say Electrician, then it's nice to have something less arduous alongside. For these reasons it's sometimes necessary to have more than one game to prevent boredom setting in ;)

I'm going to try and stay the course this time. Last time I had ago I only managed about 3 games before lack of time got in the way. If I do it last thing at night before bed then I should be able to fit it in.

Nothing like a nice relaxing game of Millipede to send you off :sleep: :-D

• 2 weeks later...