IGNORED

RGB Out Potential

ProgMetalMan

I've got in my 800XL for the last 5 years or so. AFAIK they can be coaxed into working on a 5200 but not sure if any pre-req's like different core flash is needed.

In any case it's a pretty pricey way to get a better picture from a 5200. And it's pretty unlikely that any software that takes full advantage of VBXE will make it through to the 5200.

Besides that, you need a 16 KHz RGB monitor such as an Amiga 1084 and such monitors are becoming rare. Alternatively a modern LCD that has full SCART input or can otherwise handle 16 KHz RGB but they're not real common either.

But there's not really any other RGB alternative around, there probably will be RGB, Component or even HDMI addons in time but not at the moment.

Besides that, you need a 16 KHz RGB monitor such as an Amiga 1084 and such monitors are becoming rare. Alternatively a modern LCD that has full SCART input or can otherwise handle 16 KHz RGB but they're not real common either.

Some fellow named Michael Moffitt (whom I knew from another website) found a way to manipulate CRT menu overlays to display a 15khz RGB picure. See: http://mikejmoffitt.com/articles/0032-tvrgb.html. I was going to try to do this on my small '98 Trinitron (I know what not to probe and how to discharge a tube so as to not fry my Atria) but managed to screw up my Genesis (which was the easiest source of RGB for testing) trying to pull RGB from the board. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty cart slot connection, though, so I have to goof around with that some more.

How much cheaper can it get? NESRGB boards are around that price, and do more or less the same thing. It seems that in order to get any sort of output beyond S-Video (with its low chroma resolution), the GITA will have to be emulated with an FPGA.

Edited by ProgMetalMan

That's a pretty nifty hack to patch RGB into the TVs OSD system - but the problem is it'd be beyond most people and we don't all own the same types of CRT TVs.

The alternative to full-blown GTIA emulation has been discussed.

We are lucky in that GTIA gives us fully digital Luma and Sync. The colour signal is the problem but the colour pin from GTIA gives a square wave that's phase delayed dependant on what colour is needed.

By tapping those signals an addon device could generate RGB or Component video, and at lesser cost than VBXE. If it could be done in the under $80 range IMO it'd be a hot seller.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...