IGNORED

Thinking of abandoning the 5200...maybe get an 8-bit computer

Dauber

Another vote here for XL over 5200... 99% of 5200 games are on A8 carts and they work great with the reliable 2600 joysticks. Any 5200 only or enhanced games you can use Glenn the 5200 Man ports on either a disk drive or SD cart. Like trackballs? The 2600 TB is great even in joystick mode and can be use in any game.

Plus you can even play XEGS or disk games...

The CX-22 isn't as good as the CX-53; Dan Kramer, the Atari engineer responsible for both even thinks as such. [the Atari Computer Division created the CX-80 themselves]. Plus - correct me if I'm wrong - the only A8 game that natively supports the Trak-Ball is Missile Command. As for the 5200, Pole Position, Galaxian, RealSports Tennis, Tempest, Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, Super Breakout, Xari Arena, and a few others I'm forgetting natively support the CX-53 Trak-Ball, no flim-flam joystick emulation there.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

.......Plus - correct me if I'm wrong - the only A8 game that natively supports the Trak-Ball is Missile Command. ......

Yeah, the hack Missile Command + supports the trakball. Also the 5200 version of centipede converted for A8 supports it. Other than that I can't think of any others...

I like both the 5200 and the A8. The 5200 is my favorite though. I wish it had some activity going on.... like when Paul was converting some of those A8 games. :)

• Like 1

I'd say go with your gut feeling about what you want to do. The 5200 does have analog compared to digital. Guess it's a preference for you. If you WANT something or WANT to get rid of anything, keep me in mind. Good Luck with your decision! Whatever you decide. Me I go in cycles with different systems. but keep what I know I will want to play sometime. If I have no interest and know I won't I'll get rid of it.

Edited by thegamezmaster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, well if it were me, Daubler, I'd go for both(because I'm a hardcore Atari collector). However, I will say I have more fun with the Atari 8-bit than I do the 5200. Don't get me wrong, the Atari 5200 is one of my favorites. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the 8-bit.

Edited by AtarinDave
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Atari was my first system ever. It will always be very special.

I have an AV modded system (it has composite/S-Video), and I LOVE it. I also have a multicart.

Space Invaders is my very favorite port of that game, it compares to no other.

Kangaroo has these hilariously distorted sound effects (wait till two monkeys throw apples at the same time)....some times I just stand around ducking and dodging apples for pure fun.

Missile Command/Centipede are incredible with the trackball. Again, NO other system comes close to this.

I have a very fun prototype of super pac-man.

And the pac-man game is the first one I was able to get to past the 7th key (where the ghosts turn blue for the rest of the game).

If you are a fan of Atari 5200, make sure to try out the 5200 emulator on the Playstation 2...hook it up to a CRT tv (you must), and then try Robotron.

You can actually use the analog thumb pads! I can't tell you how fun it was to play like that. Left analog moves, right analog fires.

So count me as an official member of the Atari 5200 Brotherhood! :P

Edited by kaz321123
  • Like 1

Oh ya, my parents got rid of my first Atari 5200 without even consulting me (it was about the year 2002)...so I got it back and much more. It catapulted my interest in Atari even further. I even collected Atari 2600, and Atari 7800 at the point. So perhaps I should consider that event a 'favor'. It is sure a fun interest. I collect games each year at Midwest Gaming Classic. It is pretty much my one and only video game shopping day of the year (except for the occasional home-brew colecovision game :)

• Like 1