IGNORED

Is the CorComp RS232 card slot specific?

wyerd

Reason why I ask is mine only works in PEB slots 5 & 7, otherwise just the light blue boot screen with no test card is displayed. Is this pointing to another problem elsewhere? It's OK if it only works in these 2 slots as I have plenty of room in the PEB, but you never know what the future holds!

Thanks.

Do other cards work in the slots that it doesn't work in? I ask this because it should work in any slot. I'd look to see if all of your voltages make it to every slot--using a PEB extender board with test points to ensure you don't short anything out. . .

The 8x32K card from slot 2 works in slot 6 & 7, but not 3 or 4.

Edit. 8x32K wow works in 3 & 4 and RS232 card now works in slot 3 :? Must be dirty contacts or something?!

Agree with what Ksarul said. Additionally, my test bench PEB had a few slots with tarnished finger contacts. I eventually had to replace the backplane because some of the thinner boards made less than solid contact, exasperated by the tarnished 'fingers'.

I agree. Dirty contacts appear to be the problem. What's the recommended cleaner?

Some people may consider what I'm about suggest you do to your card sacrilege, but the choice is yours.

1) Use an eraser and clean all the edge contacts with an eraser.

2) Clean the contacts again with rubbing alcohol.

3) APPLY A THIN COAT OF SOLDER TO ALL THE CONTACTS

The card will now fit snugly and make good electrical contact.

If you are trying to clean the contacts in the P-Box

One method: Fold over some fine grit sandpaper and movie it in and out of the offending slots a few times. Afterwards blow it out well.

Another method: Fold over some white business cards and insert them a few times until they no longer come out black.

• Like 1

Interesting solution Omega! Soldering isn't one of my best skills, so I'll expect I'd solder each contact together. I'll try the Isopropyl alcohol and cleaning swab and spray as you can't really go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Some people may consider what I'm about suggest you do to your card sacrilege, but the choice is yours.

3) APPLY A THIN COAT OF SOLDER TO ALL THE CONTACTS

The card will now fit snugly and make good electrical contact.

I've had people add solder to the contacts and in many cases, it causes more trouble than its worth. I have a few folks who have done similar things to the floppy and hard drive connectors, resulting in intermittent contact. One could probably argue the PEB is better suited for this due to the higher pressure from the metal fingers to the contacts. I can only share what I've seen from a repair perspective...

tim

BTW - I'm glad to hear that the RS-232 card that caused you so much trouble still works! :)

It's looking that way, but don't count your chickens as I can't fully test it until the printer arrives, followed by the serial & parallel cables later this week. I may then look at purchasing one of those Lantronix devices. ;-)

• Like 1

For female card edge connectors I use the cheap 99 cent store q-tips. They must be the ones with the hollow plastic tube. I squeeze the tip to flatten it out, dip it in alcohol and scrub away until one finally comes out clean. You'd be amazed of the gunk that I've gotten out - especially the cart port. I use a regular good brand q-tip to scrub the male part of the connector with alcohol.

Try it, you might like it!

continuing,

-Ralph...

• Like 1

This CorComp RS232 card is a fussy bugger. It doesn't like my fire-hose extension cable and refuses to boot with it connected. I'll have to find another solution to hide this whopping cable and size 10 foot!

The printer arrived...........that's another sad sorry tale.......why are there so many sellers who just don't care how they package their goods????

Edited by wyerd