IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

It's time for an updated torrent. As always, thanks to everyone that contributed!

Some findings regarding images:

• Diskey (1982)(Adventure International)(US)[!]

needs BASIC

• Strip Poker (1983)(Artworx)(US)[a]

needs BASIC

• Rescue on Fractalus! v4.1 (1985)(Epyx)(US)[!]

does not run because the code expects error 139 (device-NAK) for the bad sector but in reality it has a CRC error which leads to error 144 (device done). This is really odd.

• Koronis Rift (1985)(Epyx)(US)[!]

different 3.1 version 51022d than the removed image 51022p which was part of the torent before. They differ in lots of code ...

... and v3.1d's protection is identical to v1.1 and v3.0, but differs from v3.1p (which is similar to Activision's releases of Lucas Arts games). Perhaps v3.1p actually was released by Activision.

You might re-add the former version as an alternative.

• Like 2

Rescue on Fractalus! v4.1 (1985)(Epyx)(US)[!] does not run because the code expects error 139 (device-NAK) for the bad sector but in reality it has a CRC error which leads to error 144 (device done). This is really odd.

I'm out of home for a few days and can't access my notes. But IIRC, it's a bug in that particular version of the game (that seems to be fixed in later versions), and it requires an 810 and/or Altirra full drive emulation.

Now I can give a better answer ...

Rescue on Fractalus! v4.1 (1985)(Epyx)(US)[!]
does not run because the code expects error 139 (device-NAK) for the bad sector but in reality it has a CRC error which leads to error 144 (device done). This is really odd.

Koronis Rift (1985)(Epyx)(US)[!]
different 3.1 version 51022d than the removed image 51022p which was part of the torent before. They differ in lots of code ...
... and v3.1d's protection is identical to v1.1 and v3.0, but differs from v3.1p (which is similar to Activision's releases of Lucas Arts games). Perhaps v3.1p actually was released by Activision. You might re-add the former version as an alternative.

As I commented in my previous post, that version of Rescue on Fractalus has a buggy loader that provokes NAKs. It requires full 1050 drive emulation to run under Altirra.

The image of Koronis Rift in the previous torrent was missing a sector on track 40. And yes, I agree, that old image looks like an Activision release.

• Like 1

Here's what's going on with Fractalus' loader:

post-16457-0-99442700-1509500794_thumb.png

When it sees the error code from the drive, it immediately attempts to issue another disk read at the next vertical blank without waiting for the data frame from the previous read to complete. The drive itself doesn't send a NAK; it's still busy sending the data frame and can't respond to the new command frame, which then causes SIO to return a NAK because it interprets random data on the SIO bus as an invalid completion code. Almost all disk drives that I know of are unable to stop a data frame for a new command, though I think there was at least one drive that could (XF551? Indus GT?). Altirra's standard disk emulation also interrupts transfers immediately on a new command, thus the failure. But overlapping disk commands like this is bad ju-ju, and another example of how broken the Fractalus loader is.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another project — these two disks for Q-TV VPS-500 ComputerPrompter are completely unreadable on the Atari every sector is errors, or just hangs when reading. I *think* this was an Atari-based system, and thus Atari disks. So I made Kyroflux images. Can anyone get any data from these?

qtv.zip

post-803-0-95855700-1512497921_thumb.jpg

post-803-0-78657600-1512497935_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another project — these two disks for Q-TV VPS-500 ComputerPrompter are completely unreadable on the Atari every sector is errors, or just hangs when reading. I *think* this was an Atari-based system, and thus Atari disks. So I made Kyroflux images. Can anyone get any data from these?

attachicon.gifqtv.zip

attachicon.gifimg__20171205_0001.jpg

attachicon.gifimg__20171205_0004.jpg

It was and is, you catch them on ebay from time to time, and you can sometimes call around and sometimes get them that way. this was a big time litigation in the industry at one time, see what I can find quick

http://www.academia....munications_Law

yes it's taught

https://law.justia.c...25/608/2301486/

and verified by other sites....

there you have it... the manuals and units turn up from time to time like I mentioned, so someone should probably have it to help out here..

I'd still try to recover the disks, the system software was updated a number of times...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Today, 1:41 PM.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I tried [the Morloc's Tower archive] on the Atari, and it was riddled with error sectors (I assume copy protection). So I made a Kyroflux dump, and hope that one of you experts can make this work.

Thanks for dumping this disk-based game, Kevin! I hope that someone is able to get Morloc's Tower working properly. There is a thread about this game and what is wrong with the various archived versions here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243239-dunjonquest-morlocs-tower/

The Dunjonquest/Apshai series was pretty popular; I'm pretty surprised that there isn't a proper dump of this game yet.

Adam

• Like 1

@ballyalley asked me to make a good archive of his EPYX Morloc's Tower disk. I tried on the Atari, and it was riddled with error sectors (I assume copy protection). So I made a Kyroflux dump, and hope that one of you experts can make this work.

attachicon.gifmorloc.zip

-Kevin

I'm not seeing any data in the dump via a8rawconv. Is it possible your drive head was dirty when you made the Kryoflux dump?

I have probably asked this before, and if I was told the answer I didn't get it.

I just acquired a big new lot of software. How do I check what needs to be preserved? Is there a web site or spreadsheet or ?

ALSO: for cassette stuff — I have never been able to get wav2cas to work. If I digitize cassettes, where should I put WAV files? Here in this thread?

-Kevin

attachicon.gifqtv.zip

attachicon.gifimg__20171205_0001.jpg

attachicon.gifimg__20171205_0004.jpg

Now that's interesting, Kevin. That's the exact same issue I had with the set I wound up with as well. Coincidence? Possible... Suspicious though.

• Like 1

I'm trying to learn to import and test cassettes. I've digitized hundreds of cassettes (Dorsett) but didn't test them, that was Tom's job.

So I created WAV files, and when I try to read them in Altirra, the cassette indicator jumps a few seconds in (e.g. :29 on Satan's Satellite) then just stops. I barely know how to use Altirra. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or I don't understand how it's supposed to work.

Battle Warp 16K - Westcoast Software.wav.zip

Satan's Satellite 8K - Westcoast Software.wav.zip

P.S. Battle Warp has rockin' loading music.

Edited by Savetz

I have probably asked this before, and if I was told the answer I didn't get it.

I just acquired a big new lot of software. How do I check what needs to be preserved? Is there a web site or spreadsheet or ?

Hi Kevin,

As always, thanks for your help in this endeavor.

All information for preserved titles is available on the a8preservation.com website. If we don't show an entry for a title, it means it hasn't been preserved. If we do have a dump for a title on the site, check to see if it has a green checkmark next to it its name on the dump details page. If it doesn't, it means we have only one good dump but need additional ones to verify it.

If you want to PM me an e-mail address, I can create a Google Drive share for you which can be used to submit any dumps you have for processing.

• Like 1

ALSO: for cassette stuff — I have never been able to get wav2cas to work. If I digitize cassettes, where should I put WAV files? Here in this thread?

You might also try a8cas available here:

http://a8cas.sourceforge.net

But please submit the WAV files to us (through the above mentioned Google Drive share) as well if possible so we can analyze them.

Here's a Kyroflux dump of ACR — Atari Cash Register. Super rare, I think. The disk boots on my Atari 800, doesn't work on XL.

I can't read a lick of it with DOS Whole Disk Copy. So attached is a Kyroflux dump of side A. It's 2-sided, but Kyroflux can't do back sides. According to the manual, side A is for 48K systems; side B for 32K.

I scanned the manual: https://archive.org/details/ACRAtariCashRegister

ACR.zip

—Kevin

• Like 2