IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where is the latest version of this collection located? Is there a copy of it on the Internet Archive? If not, can there be a copy uploaded there?

There's a torrent posted in this thread BUT I'd wait as there's been a ton of additions from members that will be processed and added at some point, I'd wait and enjoy the bigger archive or search through the thread and there's download links in there somewhere..

There's a torrent posted in this thread BUT I'd wait as there's been a ton of additions from members that will be processed and added at some point, I'd wait and enjoy the bigger archive or search through the thread and there's download links in there somewhere..

Thanks, Mclaneinc! I will wait for the updated torrent as you suggest.

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

here are some WAV and MP3 images I made from two original tapes:

a) Knockout by Anco (identical to Midas tape version) and b) BD by Prism Leisure Corp.

Since the 16 Bit stereo WAV of them are too big to upload here, I converted them into 16 Bit stereo MP3 and 8 Bit mono WAV. Hopefully one of these versions is usable and can be converted into CAS and then maybe uploaded to atarimania...

• Like 2

Hey CharlieChaplin,

MP3 files cannot be used to create cas-files. The best format is 16-bit wav file. If you want to upload a 16-bit wav file, maybe you can use your zip-program to split the file in multiple zip parts?

I have successfully created a cas-file of Knockout_A_8bit_mono, but I was not able to create a cas-file of Boulderdash. Boulderdash generates some errors. During the 8th data block I can hear a dropout during loading. Strangely enough that dropout is not visible when I look at the wav-file in Audicity. Maybe this happened because it is an 8-bit audio file?

Anyway, the quality of the audio is good, I would recommend to boost the audio a bit, because it is quite low ;)

Well done Charlie!

Knockout_A.zip

Knockout_B.zip

Edited by Fred_M

Hmmm well,

it should be possible to convert MP3 back into WAV and then WAV into CAS... but maybe MP3 cuts off too much that will be hard of hearing for a human, whereas it will be "heard" (or even required) by the A8 ?!?

My old Hifi-stereo system is in one room (the Atari room) and my internet PC is in another room and errmmm, I am too lazy to disconnect my tapedeck and connect it to the PC. Instead I put the A8 tape into the tapedeck, played it back and recorded it with my Hifi CD-Recorder onto CD-RW audio with 44.1khz. Then I put the CD-RW into the DVD device of my PC and extracted the wanted tracks and saved them on harddisk as WAV 16 Bit stereo. To upload them here at AA (all 16 Bit WAV files are bigger than 50MB!), I had to convert them a) into 16 Bit stereo MP3 (192kbit) and b) 8Bit mono WAV. I don't like splitting ZIP or RAR files...

Before I extracted the CD-RW on my PC, I tested it and played it back on my Hifi CD-Recorder which I connected via a tape-adapter with the 1010, which is connected via SIO with the A8. The data of the CD-RW loaded absolutely fine into the Atari and I could play Knockout as well as Boulder Dash. I also made tape2disk (Knockout) and freezer (BD) disk copies with that CD-RW data on the Atari...

Anyways, I will send that Boulder Dash tape to you soon Fred, so maybe you can make a better recording than me and create a working CAS file. Think I said several times already that I don't like creating WAV or CAS files and as I see, the A8 accepts my CD-RW data, while the WAV2CAS programs do not accept it - so I will better not continue with creating WAV or CAS files...

Tried loading my 16 Bit WAV files (the ones on my harddisk, not the ones uploaded to AA) into Altirra, but that gave boot errors. Nevertheless converted BD into a CAS file (nice length of 234kbytes) and of course this also gave boot errors; then converted Knockout into .CAS (nice length of 469kbytes) and this one gave boot errors also...

Then I used A8CAS and tried to convert the 16 Bit WAV into CAS, all gave errors and the CAS files (allthough much shorter, e.g. BD with approx. 27kbytes and Knockout with approx. 58kbytes) did not work. So I think it is time to remove the garbage (attachments) above. Now I am wondering what I did wrong and why the CD-RW data worked on the A8 and how Fred could create a working CAS from the Knockout.WAV ?!? Yes, Fred's Knockout CAS files seem to work fine... (at least side A, side B not tested)...

Yeah, converting tapes to disk with several C-Emulators and Freezers on the A8 seems easier to me. Think I concentrate on that...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I know you don't like creating wav and cas files Charlie :D

What I did with the Knockout 8-bit mono wav file was:

- I opened the file in Audacity

- I boosted the volume of the file a bit

- I cut off the silent part at the beginning and the part after the last loading data (these parts generate errors in a8cas)

- saved the new file and converted it with a8cas

- I loaded the cas file into Altirra

It is a very simple job ;)

I do have Boulder Dash Prism release cassette tape. But I have loads of tapes that need dumping.... time..... ;)

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have an original "Wordrace" yellow cassette. The cassette has both data and music in both sides. I got it from a lot together with o'reily mine original also in cassette. I tried oreily and it works, but Wordrace is for original Atari 800 (with old OS), and I could not make it work with any translator in my XL machine.

I haven't be able to create a backup since I have not find someone with a cassette player. The only cassette available to me now the Atari 1010 itself.

I would like to ask if someone is interested in creating the back-up of wordrace (O'reily's mine is already in cas format in Atarimania, but you might want to make a back up of it, also).

I think wordrace is interesting to back up since at least it uses the audio channel for something.

I am located close to Washington, DC but I can send cassettes by mail, too.

• Like 1

Hi manterola,

I have the wordrace tape too. I never tried it on real hardware, but I made a dump and got it to work in Altirra with OS B (the OS of the 800) and the Basic cartridge present. Did you boot your XL with basic?

Please don't think that when there is a dump already, your cassette does not have to be dumped ;) The preservation project always want to check the dump by looking at a second dump.

• Like 1

Yes I tried with and without basic. I am actually (at this point) very puzzled about this game, since I wasn;'t able to make the disk version work, either.

I'll check with Altirra.

I noticed that Wordrace is not in Atarimania, that's why i think is important to preserve it. I am glad there are backups already.

Well,

recorded some more tapes onto CD-RW. But don't worry, this time I will only upload the CAS files I created with the A8CAS tool - they were tested with Altirra and worked fine. Still it would be good if someone verifies them, so one can be sure they are really good + fully working...

- Tiger Attack (there is only one version), 3 stages, standard blocks.

- Whirlinurd (Americana version, identical to the US-Gold version, they even did not change the US-Gold title), 2 stages, standard blocks; there's a longer gap after the first block of stage 2, most likely the copy protection...

- Submarine Commander (Top Ten Hits, most likely identical to the Creative Sparks or Sparklers version, same loading+titlescreen), 2 stages, standard blocks?, uses long IRG's similar to RUN"C:"...

submarine_commander_toptenhits.zip

tiger_attack.zip

whirlinurd_americana.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered somewhere else in this thread. I'll probably read through it in time, but it is 56 pages long at the time I'm typing this, so it might take me a while.

Let me explain why I'm here asking for help first.

So, I've finally pulled my old 800XL out of the attic where it's been exiled for most of the past thirty years. I've picked up an AtariMax SIO2PC-USB and purchased a used 1050 drive with original Happy mod. I've been working on archiving my old collection. Most of whatever I had is no doubt already available online, but I've been going through everything anyway on the off chance that I may have something that is missing or some strange version of something. I've had fun looking through old college papers and resumes I typed up thirty-three or more years ago!

I did, or attempted to do some work for Alpha Systems in the early, early nineties, just before my 8-bit got retired to the attic and I bought my first PC-style computer, a 486SX33 based system. As part of this work, they provided me with two sets of most of their software protection line, none of which seem to be available at AtariMania. I'd like to create VAPI/ATX images of these disks, but I don't know how. I've been to the VAPI site, and it mentions "VAPI provides a package of software tools for imaging copy-protected software", but I can't seem to locate this package anywhere. Their site has the tools needed to run these images with various emulators and the SIO2PC, but I can't find these imaging/archiving tools anywhere. Am I just blind as a bat like my wife says? Does anyone know where to find this package of tools?

Thanks.

Playing with my Atari streams again! Having problems with NAM. I converted both sides to ATX with a8rawconv. Game boots fine and asks for the Scenario disk. Swap disk, but the scenario names are garbled. Do I have a bad dump or does it require some super tech work to get a working ATX from the streams? This is a version 1.1 and seems to be rather rare. All versions I've found in other collections have been version 1.0. Anyone pull a working image?

Also, have ATR files that kryoflux created with dump. They boot fine, but start scenario 1 and notice the graphic issues (missing M48 Patton icon and purple terrain and missing building icons).

atari_nam_ssi_85.zip

nam_atr.zip

Edited by mikic
  • Like 1

Playing with my Atari streams again! Having problems with NAM. I converted both sides to ATX with a8rawconv. Game boots fine and asks for the Scenario disk. Swap disk, but the scenario names are garbled. Do I have a bad dump or does it require some super tech work to get a working ATX from the streams? This is a version 1.1 and seems to be rather rare. All versions I've found in other collections have been version 1.0. Anyone pull a working image?

Also, have ATR files that kryoflux created with dump. They boot fine, but start scenario 1 and notice the graphic issues (missing M48 Patton icon and purple terrain and missing building icons).

Yes, it seems that your Scenario Disk is bad.

Comparing it to v1.0's it seems that they differ only by a few sectors in the center of the disk. I combined the v1.0 image with these differing sectors.

Please try it.

Edit:

On 2nd thought I guess that there is NO difference at all between the Scenario Disks of v1.0 and v1.1 and the actual differences seen are some sort of save game data on your disk. The second differing block contains the word "MAP1".

Other SSI titles also do not have differing data disks between software versions.

I also added a real crack of the Game Disk which has a track aligment protection. Your ATR will work fine in emulation because there all tracks are always perfectly aligned. But when you write it back to a real floppy it will fail.

NAM v1.1 mikic.zip

Edited by DjayBee