IGNORED

Internet "Cloud Drive" for the TI

Omega-TI

You know me, always thinking up crap for the TI. Well, with the need for an 80 column directory program that can do all kinds of stuff (like DM2K), I was wondering if a new program was ever written, could there be the inclusion of code to access a 'cloud drive'? This would make it simple for people to run newly released programs directly onto their Nano's or P-Box's.

The software could be written for a "DSK0", which one could do a directory on and then just copy the selected files to their real drives. Just an idea that will help our old TI's live in the 21st century.

On the Amiga I used to use FTPmount. Used an FTP account as a device. Nice. Sadly, it was never updated to support SFTP.

In theory, it would be possible to code a DSR for a device like, say FTP:, which would connect directly to an FTP server over serial via UDS-type device. For that matter, why not HDX over a UDS device, with a matching setup on the far end? No encryption, though, unless you proxy it through something like stunnel.

• Like 2

On the Amiga I used to use FTPmount. Used an FTP account as a device. Nice. Sadly, it was never updated to support SFTP.

In theory, it would be possible to code a DSR for a device like, say FTP:, which would connect directly to an FTP server over serial via UDS-type device. For that matter, why not HDX over a UDS device, with a matching setup on the far end? No encryption, though, unless you proxy it through something like stunnel.

I could go for that too! There are more and more of us getting the Lantronix UDS-10's all the time, this would give us yet another capability for them.

I'm not too concerned with encryption for the TI! :)

You know me, always thinking up crap for the TI. Well, with the need for an 80 column directory program that can do all kinds of stuff (like DM2K), I was wondering if a new program was ever written, could there be the inclusion of code to access a 'cloud drive'? This would make it simple for people to run newly released programs directly onto their Nano's or P-Box's.

The software could be written for a "DSK0", which one could do a directory on and then just copy the selected files to their real drives. Just an idea that will help our old TI's live in the 21st century.

stick your hdx directory in your dropbox folder

stick your hdx directory in your dropbox folder

I was thinking in terms of a 'community download directory', kind of like WHTECH, but one that does not require a PC in the equation.

The concept I was thinking of would utilize the UDS-10's ability to access the so-called 'cloud'. With the advent of Stuart's browser we now know it's possible to have a program that will work with BOTH the Nano-PEB & P-Box.

Honestly, I've never messed with dropbox, and know nothing about it, but that does sound kind of interesting, especially if it allows for shared files between TI's. Of course not many of us have HDX's. I was kind of hoping for something that everyone could use eventually.

I'll look a dropbox and see what it's all about.

With last two methods, it seems that everyones 'drives' would be at different locations.

Imagine a program like DM2K for example, running on a Nano-PEB or a P-Box. Now say Rasmus comes out with a new program, and 30 people want copies....all they would have to do is fire up DM2K, do a directory of "DSK0". select the files and copy them to a local drive like DSK1. or DSK2. That would indeed be faster than messing with the PC, converting files, and then transferring them, Also, considering the size of TI files and the speed of the Internet, it might actually be faster loading a program this way than to run than off of a disk drive!

It would be perfect source and delivery method for the latest versions of the best of the best TI software. The only drawback, finding a STABLE website to host the data. Of course the program would have to provide a field to enter and store the IP number for the virtual DSK0.

I am working on some solution for proposed scenario. Not exactly a cloud drive but a sort of gateway to anything, be it internet or some network or some storage or searchable index.

Currently reading a lot on how to accomplish that the best way. It might be best to implement a DSR for this virtual "device" on a cartridge in its grom section.

Compare it with this:

With its DSR for the "SPEECH" device the Terminal Emulator II cartridge allowed us todo much more with the Speech Synthesizer.

I wanna do the same with an alternate DSR for the RS232 Card stored on my gpl/grom cartridge.

• Like 1

You know, that dropbox method apparently works and all, but honestly my personal goal is to eliminate the need for any PC in a support role. With Stuart's browser, we now know it's possible for Nano users to get on the Internet as well a P-Box users. I'm betting in the future a program will be developed to accomplish this PC-Free goal.

This is exactly what I have done with the Google Drives (GDR1, GDR2, GDR3) in js99er.net, but I have cheated since only a tiny part of the DSR is coded in assembly, all the communication with the Google Drive API is programmed in JavaScript. The API is RESTful, which means that you're using standard HTTP requests (GET/PUT/POST/DELETE) only for the communication, so this should be quite possible. However, on a real TI a DSR requires at least an UberGROM cartridge AFAIK.

• Like 3

You will have plenty of beta-testers when you make your first release. ;)

If only I had the talent of the Uber programmers. Sad truth is, the TI-Gods have had more years of hands on experience programming the TI, than I have years of life left to live, let alone to learn it to their level. I'll happily be one of those beta-testers though as that is one role I can be of some use.

Programs, like water, have always filled the voids. Sometimes the need is not yet obvious, other times a piece of technology is not yet affordable, or those with the talent are busy doing other projects. If history is any guide, It'll happen within the next year or two (my prediction), because all the necessary requirements are now a reality. crossing-fingers-micro.jpg

Very poetic and philosophical way of talking yourself out of trying. These uber-programmers you speak of all started somewhere. If you read, Rasmus first programming on the TI was within the past few years and look what he has created. Of course, I get that some people are makers and some people are users, and many people cannot be both but there is never any harm in trying. Especially around here -- there is nothing wrong with standing on the shoulders of gods or giants :)

• Like 3

Well said, OLD CS1 :) I decided to start doing hardware when I realized that no one was making any of it anymore. . .and that there was still a demand for it in the community. I've clawed my way into that process and had a lot of fun every step of the way--even when it got frustrating at times. :) :) :) And I think the results were worth the effort. :) :) :)

• Like 3

I, among others, are VERY grateful for your hardware endeavors Ksarul. It's people like you that keep the TI community alive and thriving. I'm looking forward to buying your next gadget! My favorite aspect of the hobby is adding new hardware and capabilities to this old box.

On another topic, it's true many guys have had their talent and skills for years, while others had the luxury of available time to develop them. As a hobby, I'm sure the programmer guys like what they do, just like Ksarul likes what he does with his hardware. The key is that they, or you, are having FUN doing what you are doing! That's what a hobby is all about. Now that being said, not everyone here wants to be a GPL programmer or conform to someone else's expectations of what skill set they "should" develop, let alone feel shamed for not trying to do something that holds no real interest for them. Some people like hardware, others, assembly language programming, while others do not find those aspects of the hobby to be even remotely interesting enough to devote so much time and effort.

A few days ago I got an email reply from a user I contacted because they not been around for a while. I mentioned there were some great things going on in the TI-community and that it would be great if they popped back in and checked it out. Her reply was that she felt out of place here as 'only a gamer'. There were a few other things mentioned that I agreed with as well, but will not go into them here. I'm sorry that user may never come back, at least out of lurking status.

A few days ago I got an email reply from a user I contacted because they not been around for a while. I mentioned there were some great things going on in the TI-community and that it would be great if they popped back in and checked it out. Her reply was that she felt out of place here as 'only a gamer'. There were a few other things mentioned that I agreed with as well, but will not go into them here. I'm sorry that user may never come back, at least out of lurking status.

I'm usually of the opinion that people like that are "fragile" in nature and don't tend to stick things out for what they don't have a significant interest in. I obviously don't know the reasons why this particular person left, but the bottom line is that there are just some people where wide interaction (because they can't handle the occasional jerk, perhaps?) is just not their thing/part of their personality profile. Even if such a person were to come back, it's likely something else would send them away again.

As far as forums go, AtariAge is fairly tame, and there are sufficient tools in place to block people you don't like.

The best thing that happened to this forum is the separation of programming and development from general discussions. This gave the non-programmers the latitude to contribute ideas, test reports and other interesting tidbits without feeling out of place or intruding. I find the topics and discussions here quite entertaining and frequently informative, while frequenting the programming forum when the coding itch sets in :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You know, that dropbox method apparently works and all, but honestly my personal goal is to eliminate the need for any PC in a support role. With Stuart's browser, we now know it's possible for Nano users to get on the Internet as well a P-Box users. I'm betting in the future a program will be developed to accomplish this PC-Free goal.

Dumb question: with a lantronix hookup up to a cable modem can one connect to the internet without a PC?

What about a 9600 baud modem hooked to the rs232 and dial up heatwave bbs and then download the latest rasmus game to diskette? Would that eliminate the PC?

I have no idea how most of that works so it's kind of a shot in the dark.

Dumb question: with a lantronix hookup up to a cable modem can one connect to the internet without a PC?

What about a 9600 baud modem hooked to the rs232 and dial up heatwave bbs and then download the latest rasmus game to diskette? Would that eliminate the PC?

I have no idea how most of that works so it's kind of a shot in the dark.

No question is 'stupid', it just means you like ALL of us were at one point, we didn't know something either. We all start at the beginning, it's just that some people have been at this for over 30 years and it's second nature to them and they make it all look so easy.

Yes, with the Lantronix UDS-10, you can call the BBS's over the Internet WITHOUT A PC. You'll still need your cable modem/router to hook the UDS-10 up to though. (TI-99/4A & RS-232) ----> ( UDS-10) ----> (Router ) -----> (Internet)

Yes, a modem would also eliminate the need for a PC. You may have some 'issues' running at 9600 baud though. On a basic TI with RS-232 card, 4800 baud seems to be the top end using terminal programs like Telco. Remember though, while Stuart's Internet browser works with NANO-PEB's, the Nano does not currently work with any of the terminal programs.

If you've not already been there, I have a blog entry << HERE >> with more information on the UDS-10 and a PDF file on how to get your TI online with the BBS's. Hopefully it might answer a few questions. :)

No question is 'stupid', it just means you like ALL of us were at one point, we didn't know something either. We all start at the beginning, it's just that some people have been at this for over 30 years and it's second nature to them and they make it all look so easy.

Yes, with the Lantronix UDS-10, you can call the BBS's over the Internet WITHOUT A PC. You'll still need your cable modem/router to hook the UDS-10 up to though. (TI-99/4A & RS-232) ----> ( UDS-10) ----> (Router ) -----> (Internet)

Yes, a modem would also eliminate the need for a PC. You may have some 'issues' running at 9600 baud though. On a basic TI with RS-232 card, 4800 baud seems to be the top end using terminal programs like Telco. Remember though, while Stuart's Internet browser works with NANO-PEB's, the Nano does not currently work with any of the terminal programs.

If you've not already been there, I have a blog entry << HERE >> with more information on the UDS-10 and a PDF file on how to get your TI online with the BBS's. Hopefully it might answer a few questions. :)

That is pretty sweet. I have fond nostalgic memories of dialing up the local BBS' and playing LORD and Falcon's Eye and Barren Realms Elite and Usurper and...I could go on and on, but I always thought the DOORS were the best part. Why they decided to call the games doors is beyond me, but this was a on 386 IBM PC clone (Compaq maybe?). I believe my modem ran at 14400 or 14.4 and before that my babysitter let me connect to prodigy with her phone coupler modem on another DOS based system which I thought was amazing. I still remember downloading my first game as a kid and when my dad got home from work he told me not to do that because I would download a virus..?! :)

Anyhoo I don't want to get too far off topic. Downloading games to a TI without the use of a PC:

If a person does not care about speed (and I certainly don't, I am using a 30+ year old computer), then which method do you believe to do the best (most stable, user friendly, easy, inexpensive, etc) ? For my own personal adventure I have only a stock TI + PEB. Would you recommend just buying a modem of ebay and dialing up a BBS? Or getting the lantronix and plugging the rj45 into a bridge and using wifi (I understand this still requires some initial PC setup?)? Or perhaps some other method which I have no idea about?

I feel like we want a similar thing Omega and that is to get games for the TI without needs to mess around with other computers. If I had my druthers I would have the TI with all period hardware and as a standalone system with only sidecar or PEB peripherals. How nice would it be to browse Atariage on your TI though? Do you remember back in the day when you would log in a BBS and if you chose the appropriate option it would just scroll through all of the boards messages......

Do you remember back in the day when you would log in a BBS and if you chose the appropriate option it would just scroll through all of the boards messages......

Dude, your gonna L :lust: VE Heatwave BBS when you get online... it has doors! It also has that option you speak of... when you first log in, you can choose to go through ALL new messages in the different sections. Heatwave has downloads too!

You ask which is the most stable and inexpensive. IMHO, the Lantronix UDS-10 of course. You are obviously already paying for the Internet, might as well use it and there are no extra long-distance charges or packages to buy. Besides once you get a UDS-10, you'll also be able to use Stuart's Browser as well. Also, with the Internet/UDS-10 combo you don't have to worry about line noise.

And if you want to use the PC... you can Telnet to the PC and use a comm program on it too and transfer files via Xmodem, Ymodem or whatever you choose.

You do not need to go WiFi, a basic cable from the UDS-10 to the router works. I just like hanging as much stuff as possible off of my TI, to me that's part of the fun.

That is pretty sweet. I have fond nostalgic memories of dialing up the local BBS' and playing LORD and Falcon's Eye and Barren Realms Elite and Usurper and...I could go on and on, but I always thought the DOORS were the best part. Why they decided to call the games doors is beyond me, but this was a on 386 IBM PC clone (Compaq maybe?). I believe my modem ran at 14400 or 14.4 and before that my babysitter let me connect to prodigy with her phone coupler modem on another DOS based system which I thought was amazing. I still remember downloading my first game as a kid and when my dad got home from work he told me not to do that because I would download a virus..?! :)

Anyhoo I don't want to get too far off topic. Downloading games to a TI without the use of a PC:

If a person does not care about speed (and I certainly don't, I am using a 30+ year old computer), then which method do you believe to do the best (most stable, user friendly, easy, inexpensive, etc) ? For my own personal adventure I have only a stock TI + PEB. Would you recommend just buying a modem of ebay and dialing up a BBS? Or getting the lantronix and plugging the rj45 into a bridge and using wifi (I understand this still requires some initial PC setup?)? Or perhaps some other method which I have no idea about?

I feel like we want a similar thing Omega and that is to get games for the TI without needs to mess around with other computers. If I had my druthers I would have the TI with all period hardware and as a standalone system with only sidecar or PEB peripherals. How nice would it be to browse Atariage on your TI though? Do you remember back in the day when you would log in a BBS and if you chose the appropriate option it would just scroll through all of the boards messages......

Doors were coined by a single BBS software program author and it stuck.. unfortunately :)

I have lord and a few others on thekeep.net which you can play now with telnet or with uds later

Greg

I'm sure HeatwaveBBS could handle the cloud drive... It would just be a "dial-in, DL the file to a DSK drive, logout" kind of deal... I do it all the time there via TELNET... If i could dial out via phone line and a modem, I wouldnt need a PC at all.

Maybe I am missing your point though. :)

Maybe I am missing your point though. :)

It's possible, since sometimes I'm not as clear explaining things as I could be. :skull: Sorry about that.

The idea, (while keeping the PC out of the equation) is not to (1) just log into a BBS, (2) search for programs, (3) download them, (4) hang up/log off, (5) run them on your system only to find out that they are crap, before (6) deleting them.

In this case it would be like doing a directory on your own disk drive, with your own program (like DM2K), the difference is not only could you copy them to disk, you could also RUN E/A5's directly from this 'cloud drive' called DSK0 just like DM2K. It would save a lot of steps.

Imagine a single low-cost device, the size of a speech synthesizer plugged into the expansion slot, it only need to contain 32K and an RS-232. It would be used with a UDS-10. As a separate low-cost device this would attract and be a benefit to people as an entry system. Once they get hooked on the TI, the rest will take it's course, but something like this could bring in newbies, help returning users or support casual gamer's by eliminating the need for a P-Box or Nano-PEB... AT FIRST.