IGNORED

Not set in stone yet - Warp Warp (Apple ][ Arcade Board)

The Usotsuki

I think this is something that might not be too difficult once I figure out the way the enemies "think".

There's an arcade game, and it also exists on the MSX, called Warp Warp. It looks like it would probably be the easiest of the games I've considered to try to port as part of my plan to get stuff running on the Arcade Board, which is basically the MSX VDP and PSG.

Just thinking Z80 (what the arcade (well, 8080 technically) and MSX versions use for cpu) makes my head explode, so I'm not sure the idea of "disassemble and recode" will work very well here, given my first target is based on the 6502.

Warp Warp also exists on the Sord M5 and Casio PV-1000 (both Z80 machines) but I also think there is a version for Famicom, which has a 6502 class CPU but a different graphics system. I think you'll better off coding it from scratch, it will also maintain your sanity understanding what is going on in the code.

I checked it out. It's more like a sequel than a port - it's not what I'm looking for. Besides, it looks like the rules for bonus creatures (among other things) are different from the original. The MSX version is a lot closer, fits within what my target platform can do, and weighs in at a paltry 8 KB. I doubt my version would be anywhere near THAT small though.

It's the logic I don't entirely get but it's incredibly simple and I'm sure that if I understood the AI subsystem I could port it quite easily even without the code. But it seems no one's tried to dasm it, because it wasn't very popular.

Analyzed an MSX VRAM dump and found some strange stuff.

The only things that are implemented as sprites are missiles, bullets and charges. The tongue monsters and such, that's all tiles for some reason. (Sure explains a lot.)

That would certainly get around the sprite limitations and explain the choppiness.