IGNORED

If you could have only 1 Atari Aracde Machine in your home...

Clint Thompson

Atari was very generous with their arcade games during this time. If you didn't have a quarter, you could just hit the 1P button, then hold the joystick down to listen to as much of the theme music as you wanted. I did this quite often at the mall arcade when my money was gone but Mom hadn't yet finished her shopping. They put great speakers in those cabinets too.

:thumbsup:

Two Atari games that I would hang around just to listen to the music/theme is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Gauntlet. I was captivated when hearing them.

Hmm...I've got a Gran Trak 10, Breakout, Asteroids, Red Baron, Centipede, Xevious, Primal Rage, Mace: the Dark Age, and a Radikal Bikers.

But if I could only have one Atari cab, it'd have to be a Star Wars cockpit. I just can't justify the price, and couldn't fit it into the basement anyway.

• Like 2

Hmm, tough to answer since I actually own a few.

In terms of favorite to play I'd go with Tempest.

In terms of would be cool, I'd get a Star Wars cockpit and have the Empire Strikes Back board in there with a switch so I could play both. Loved both movies, love both games and cockpits are such a cool way to play arcade games, if you have the room (I don't).

In terms of what could have been, I'd want a Missile Command game with a working marquee. That would be so cool, make the game feel more serious.

Hmm, tough to answer since I actually own a few.

In terms of favorite to play I'd go with Tempest.

In terms of would be cool, I'd get a Star Wars cockpit and have the Empire Strikes Back board in there with a switch so I could play both. Loved both movies, love both games and cockpits are such a cool way to play arcade games, if you have the room (I don't).

In terms of what could have been, I'd want a Missile Command game with a working marquee. That would be so cool, make the game feel more serious.

Do you remember the cockpit style Missile Command? Now that is an awesome machine. I loved all the cockpit style games, even that P.O.S. Sinistar.

Do you remember the cockpit style Missile Command? Now that is an awesome machine. I loved all the cockpit style games, even that P.O.S. Sinistar.

Never seen one of those environmental Missile Commands in person. I'd like to own one of those, too, but I like the idea of that functioning marquee. I saw the cockpit Sinistar at the Arcade Expo in Banning in January, very cool design. I was never a big Sinistar fan, though, so I didn't play it.

Edited by ledzep

Maybe I'm missing your meaning, but it's on PS2 ATARI Anthology, & ATARI's Greatest Hits vol 2 for the DS.

I really wasn't considering emulation on relatively modern consoles or gaming on handhelds, rather ports on classic consoles and computers. Then again, I guess some may consider the PS2 "classic" nowadays.

:ponder:

Regardless, if going that route or late in system generations, personally I'd be better off and better served with MAMEoX on the XBOX. ;)

I really wasn't considering emulation on relatively modern consoles or gaming on handhelds, rather ports on classic consoles and computers. Then again, I guess some may consider the PS2 "classic" nowadays.

:ponder:

Regardless, if going that route or late in system generations, personally I'd be better off and better served with MAMEoX on the XBOX. ;)

I agree. There must be a difference between having an emulator that is programmed to more or less faithfully run arcade game code that was never meant to be on the hardware that the emulator is running on and having someone start basically from scratch and code the game over, for the actual console hardware, without having much in the way of original code to work with.

Emulators are cool, sometimes required (Wine on Linux comes to mind for running most Windows software), but it's something else to get the program to run natively on the different hardware that might not be able to handle running the code the way the original hardware could. I'm more impressed with starting over and coding for the new hardware if the game is mostly faithful to the original. If it's one of those disasters where the game doesn't look or act much like the original (2600 Pac-Man) then just call it something else already.

This is a tough question. I already have:

- Battlezone

- Tempest

- Asteroids

- Atari Football

I guess it would be a toss up between Major Havoc or Star Wars. Since those are the ones I'll always wanted, but can't seem to get me hands on.

Edited by pboland

Hey. New to the forums. Nice site :)

I used to have an APB and a two player Championship Sprint, but sold them years ago due to a move :(

I think APB, Tempest, and Gauntlet were my favorite Atari games from yesteryear. I was showing my daughter a classics disc on the PS2, and we both had a blast playing Marble Madness. Forgot how much fun that was, but you lose something without the track ball. Loved the music on board #3, although I STILL cannot get over that stinkin' wave pool.

That disc had 720 on it as well, but that just plays horribly with the PS2 controller.

But back to the question. I think that Tempest would be my game of choice. I saw a beautiful cabinet about a year and a half ago at an arcade (!?) in Connecticut.

Edited by Thorrin
  • Like 2