IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Flojomojo > Whatever Chris Bradshaw did or didn't do is irrelevant. The point, unless his story is a complete fabrication, is that Ben Herman wrote "We don't pride ourselves in customer service. Or where you've sent an email or what you've done, I don't care at this point.". That's completely unprofessional, and damaging to the company you're representing, especially when you're the president of said company. Even if he was angry, and Chris Bradshaw had been abusive, he could have simply replied with a formal "sorry, but our warranty only covers damaged media" and left it at that.

This kind of behaviour would get you an automatic "no hire" for any public-facing position in any self-respecting company.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 3

And what makes anyone think that the Retro guys adding a PR person who has a track record of not giving an excrement about customer satisfaction was a good idea? I can just imagine how this pans out...

RetroVGS: Thank you for calling RetroVGS support. Your feedback is valuable to us. How may we assist you?

Customer: "My game is broken. I need to return it."

RetroVGS: "We are aware of the bug and are working on it. [game title] version 2.0 will be available for purchase in the coming months, with extra special 'thank you' content."

Customer: "But I don't want to 'buy' it again. I want you to 'fix' the one you sold me."

RetroVGS: "But version 1.0 will become rare. It's a collector's item now."

Customer: "I want my money back."

RetroVGS: "Sorry, no refunds unless game is unopened and in like new condition."

Customer: "Thanks for nothing. I will never buy from you [donkey's rear end] again!"

RetroVGS: "You are welcome. If you should need further assist----"

Customer: [click] :ponder:

The underlined nearly made me spit my drink out.

• Like 2

Also, back to the board of directors discussion, how about some trivia? Does anyone remember who Mike wanted to have on his advisory board?

Hmmm ... I seem to remember Woz's name being floated at one point, and Nolan Bushnell's. Perhaps Garry Kitchen's also (although he might only have been a backer).

I still think that starting a tiny hardware company by appointing an executive board is about as backwards as designing a video game console starting with the plastic shell.

• Like 4

Another major Kickstarter project is in trouble: The Coolest Cooler Is Turning Into One of Kickstarter’s Biggest Disasters

Coolest, the company behind a popular Kickstarter-funded cooler, is now selling its product for $499 on Amazon in an effort to raise enough money to continue producing new units. The news may frustrate Kickstarter backers, who were promised the product in February of this year. Coolest said today it now plans to deliver the last shipment of coolers to Kickstarter backers by April 2016.

Surely it's IndieGoGo's fault, or something.

post-39941-0-50442600-1448286052_thumb.jpg

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

Hmmm ... I seem to remember Woz's name being floated at one point, and Nolan Bushnell's. Perhaps Garry Kitchen's also (although he might only have been a backer).

I still think that starting a tiny hardware company by appointing an executive board is about as backwards as designing a video game console starting with the plastic shell.

Nope! The correct answer is Howard Phillips! He revealed it in a podcast interview with The Retro League at around the 45:45 mark. He also claims that Michael Katz and Owen Rubin are "already on" his "Industry Advisory Board" ... gee, why aren't they on the website too? Part of the fun in following the RVGS project is trying to separate what's really going on in reality vs. what's happening in Retro Land.

• Like 3

For anyone interested in the Skarp Laser Razor brouhaha, CNET actually demoed their prototype.

The author tested it(see below) and concludes it "felt like a working prototype", but how he did is beyond me. Even if we are generous and forgive the filament breaking at the slightest touch skin (it's supposedly not the final), it still barely even does the most basic of hair cutting:

From the video:

It doesn't deliver a clean shave quite yet but it definitely felt like a working prototype to me

Ummm.... wut??

Cnet is full of shit.

I can't believe they tried to pass that shit off. I expected more from Cnet but I guess I know better now.

Even their guy doesn't make sense, he said:

It's not doing a clean shave with this prototype with the initial fiber they need a uh they say they need a rigidly mounted optical fiber to get through everything. The lazer cuts thro- I'm getting a little bit closer I'm trying not to hit my skin they say that if it gets too close, even a little bump in the skin can break it, it's that rigid.

So let me get this straight. They need a rigidly mounted fiber to cut hair. But when the fiber is rigidly mounted it breaks on contact with your skin. How does this feel like a working prototype again??

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 4

Issue with a laser razor is it burns hair. If it works at all. And that burning smell is gonna stick on your skin and permeate your sinus all damned day long. And create residue that diminishes the radiation transmission characteristics of the fiber, not to mention all the oil and grit associated with shaving. Yeck.. Then there is the question of durability of the fiber. An appropriate material can be had, but at cost of $158/cm.

As is evident in this project, most millennials don't understand the practical application of physics and materials when they're implementing these ideas. Kinda like that cellphone case that harvests stray radiation, or those battery extenders. The law of conservation is totally thrown out the window.

It's easy to conjure up stuff like so, another to make it work for the everyday consumer in a carefree manner. And since many tech projects are multidisciplinary in nature it's only natural millennials of the new school are confounded.

And consumers need to be more aware of what they're backing instead of displaying such a carefree attitude.

Edited by Keatah

Problem with a laser razor is it burns hair. If it works at all. And that burning smell is gonna stick on your skin and permeate your sinus all damned day long. Yeck.. then you have to address flexibility and cleanliness to ensure good radiation transmission.

In addition to any irritation that laser might cause when it strikes the skin. What if I have a pimple or a razor bump or something?

• Like 1

Yes. That's right. There are a few ways around that. Three of which are not even considered or discussed.

When all is said and done the problem of shaving is best solved by conventional means. Best to focus efforts on refining technique and using quality tools. Maybe improve upon materials.. Anyways I just pull out my 'lectric shaver while I'm walking to the car, I'm not gonna fuck around with the technical complexities and exceptions and how much has to go right for just a simple shave.

If you ask me, too many people embrace "things tech" just for the sake of artificially boosting their ego and trying to win the one-upmanship game.

If you don't ask me, don't worry, you'll figure it out sooner or later.

Nope! The correct answer is Howard Phillips! He revealed it in a podcast interview with The Retro League at around the 45:45 mark. He also claims that Michael Katz and Owen Rubin are "already on" his "Industry Advisory Board" ... gee, why aren't they on the website too? Part of the fun in following the RVGS project is trying to separate what's really going on in reality vs. what's happening in Retro Land.

I swear, with announcements like this, this is the topic and thread that just keeps on giving... :rolling:

• Like 3

That's right. Now that you mention their names, I remember Katz and Rubin being mentioned as "members of the team" (which, for all the namedropping and exaggerating that Mike does, probably means that they tentatively agreed to have lunch with him once).

• Like 6

I can't believe they tried to pass that shit off. I expected more from Cnet but I guess I know better now.

Even their guy doesn't make sense, he said:

So let me get this straight. They need a rigidly mounted fiber to cut hair. But when the fiber is rigidly mounted it breaks on contact with your skin. How does this feel like a working prototype again??

I think the idea is possible if they use the correct materials. I've worked with fiber that can't hold 1 spike of a snowflake, and at the other end of the range, fiber than can fill in for tow cable on a rescue lorry. So the material is out there, but they didn't seem to find the right stuff.

I think it is possible that Cnet, while still full of shit, gets over-excited about things "tech" too much. As do many other sites. They proclaim any new tech to be the end-all be-all of whatever the subject matter is. And it seems that some of today's tech is more and more about finding unnecessarily complex ways of doing things. And there is little discrimination between the truly innovative paraphernalia, the practical, and impractical.

Believe it or not it takes some smarts to know the difference.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I think the idea is possible if they use the correct materials. I've worked with fiber that can't hold 1 spike of a snowflake, and at the other end of the range, fiber than can fill in for tow cable on a rescue lorry. So the material is out there, but they didn't seem to find the right stuff.

I think it is possible that Cnet, while still full of shit, gets over-excited about things "tech" too much. As do many other sites. They proclaim any new tech to be the end-all be-all of whatever the subject matter is. And it seems that some of today's tech is more and more about finding unnecessarily complex ways of doing things. And there is little discrimination between the truly innovative paraphernalia, the practical, and impractical.

Believe it or not it takes some smarts to know the difference.

The same can be said about a lot of people out there in any hobbies. I was huge into movies for years and eventually got sick of a) people bitching about movies they were supposedly fans of and b) the opposite, those who would get excited over every little movie like they were going to see Citizen Kane all over again and this every day movie was gonna somehow re-invent the wheel.

People used to marvel at leaps and bounds technical advances, nowadays people would upgrade their PS4 for $500 if had one more extra pixel of resolution and some tech nerd would be out there saying "it really does make a difference"

Edited by bretthorror
  • Like 2