IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Isn't openGL open source? Linux has it so it must be. I really don't see what the big deal is. The GPU supports it so this should be easy to get on the RetroVGS. Just bundle whatever necessary plugins, drivers, etc on the cart with the game software.

EDIT: from the Wikipedia page:

Open source = easy peasy...

:rolling:

This whole project seems like it's at the "back of napkin" stage.

Just throw us money and we'll work out the details later.

^ This. ^

It's like the tech guys Mike associated himself with said "You got the Jag molds, and you want to put new hardware in Jag casings. That's cool, and we can help you with that, but we ain't working for free. Gather some money to pay us and then we'll start working on the hardware full time."

I understand that designing and prototyping this kind of hardware is hard (just look at the lengths kevtris went for his own FPGA system!) and the tech guys want to be sure they'll get paid for their work, but that kind of arrangement is incompatible with crowdfunding, because you need to show a running prototype to convince people to give you money.

You can't be serious, can you? :ponder:

"Infamous Tech Smash'n'Bash" ? If this somehow involves taking sledge hammers to electronics items, I don't even want to know... :ponder:

Yup. It's a yearly party where we destroy old worn generally unrepairable electronics in creative ways. Like an anger management thing. It's like 10% part of our traditional block party. And the best bashers get prizes, typically a more functional replacement. We thought for a while to order some RVGS'es but for obvious reasons it won't fit the bill.

And yet for the first 60 or so pages of this thread you acted like this was the second coming of Nolan. Drugs, don't do them.

I give everyone a chance. Several. And of course when the time came to support, or not, the correct decision was made.

If they get their act together we'll look at it again, but only 1. We'll find something else for the summer party giveaway.

Yup. It's a yearly party where we destroy old worn generally unrepairable electronics in creative ways. Like an anger management thing. It's like 10% part of our traditional block party. And the best bashers get prizes, typically a more functional replacement. We thought for a while to order some RVGS'es but for obvious reasons it won't fit the bill.

You should have bought 30, and then in a few years, you could have smashed them all to bits. ;)

/Just kidding - I wish the RetroVGS team much success, although I think they'll need to do a reboot if they want it to succeed.

• Like 1

Seriously, shoot some video next time and throw it up on youtube. :evil:

Maybe this is offtopic, but in a way I think the most on-Topic we can do, is see what's gonna replace this Project? So I have a question:

Why is Linux not a better alternative for gaming yet? Is that lack of Support? I'm pretty sure it can't be too hard to have some Distribution sort of aimed at end users for gaming. With the 350 Price Point they're proposing you make a quite capable gaming PC. Steam OS might help a bit, but that's DRM bullshit we don't want.

Is it reasonable, and is there a solid movement of People trying to Support gaming on Linux?

Sorry if this is really way off Topic, but whenever I saw Mike talking about all the marvels of the Retro VGS, I was pretty much thinking: Yeah sure, but except for having a Jaguar Shell and specific cartridges a well thought out PC does all that much better. Even Windows doesn't take that much to boot up from an SSD, and starting up Retro games is pretty much instant. An unbloated Linux distro would certainly boot up in some 3 seconds...

I've been dreaming of not needing Windows to Play my games anymore for over 10 years. Certainly some People for even longer. DRM Free digital Distribution is pretty much the best possible model we could have. Keep your games forever and have actual full controll over them. Just let me get rid of Windows, and give me a good stable OS with Long time Support and compatibility and I won't ever Need anything else.

Edited by leods

* Because the Videobrain is so stupidly rare and expensive, I came across some of the custom ASICs at a surplus place, found the schematic for it and made my own damn Videobrain on perfboard! This was then hooked into the logic analyzer and extensively probed.

* Arcadia 2001's were expensive and rare too, so I found a schematic, bought the weird CPU and video chips cheap and built a perf version of that as well, and hooked it into the LA (logic analyzer)

Had I know I could have loaned you mine. Didn't know you were looking for them.

Something wasn't sitting right with me regarding the prototype gamepad they show in their campaign. I took another look at it and found that it's a 3rd party gamepad for the Wii!!

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Controller-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B009D4JW3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442945686&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+controller+u

They are trying to pass off a legitimate product as one they've built. This is ridiculous!

Edit:

Here's a screenshot of the campaign in case they change it.

protocontroller.png

Edited by goldenegg

Something wasn't sitting right with me regarding the prototype gamepad they show in their campaign. I took another look at it and found that it's a 3rd party gamepad for the Wii!!

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Controller-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B009D4JW3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442945686&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+controller+u

They are trying to pass off a legitimate product as one they've built. This is ridiculous!

It's been discussed many times.

It's the same manufacturer, and yes it's a specialized version (corded).

So don't diss on them just because.

And NO I do NOT support them, but there's no "SCAM" of sort going on, just an AMATEUR approach.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1