IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

It's just getting worse now because pretty soon we're all going to get bored of picking on them and then just no one will pay attention to them at all.

I kinda think there's just a handful of us picking at the bones of the stripped carcass as it is... a few more days of drying out in the sun and even us vultures won't be circling anymore.

Edited by tcdev
  • Like 2

+Gunlord looks like a decent game! I'm actually kind of surprised

+I honestly like the Jewel cases but that has more to do with me liking the Jaguar probably

1. Get a Dreamcast, or wait for the PC port (or is it out already?)

2. It's easy to make a render look good. I bet those cases don't exist, either.

I've released a product of my own before. Nothing video game related, but still I understand what it like to have created something and it mean something special to you. Its a big deal and I can really feel for these guys being wrapped up in their project.

Anyhow, I think anyone watching can see they have a desire to release a great product. I also think that it still has a lot of potential and could really be something special. The constant pushing of the goal to try and make things better is in a way something I can admire. While I would love to see this be successfully released, I don't think the time is quite right and feel that its more in the concept stage like many others have stated. I really hope that this project gets reworked released as something that will be a real milestone in the video gaming world.

Also, I think it becomes easy to be engrossed in ones own project, even to the point where its hard to discern constructive or legitimate criticism of ones work from negativity. I kind of feel like that is a big part of what is going on as well.

• Like 4

With that said, unless someone rich comes along and decides to plunk down 1.5 mil just for funzies, I just can't really see it happneing and I hate saying that because I fully support cool, new, fun projects and Mike seems like a cool guy.

Hope is now entirely in the hands of some eccentric billionaire out there.

..... Hello!? ..........

Now venn, now venn... now_venn_now_vennfws7m.png

I really really like this Venn diagram, it brings it home for me like nothing else. The white bit in the middle is vanishingly small, they're having the wrong market, one that likely doesn't exist. This also explains why I don't always see eye-to-eye with some of the folks here in the green circle. I'm more of a purple circle person nowadays.

There was some talk about schadenfreude a few pages back. I don't think that's what is going on here, no one enjoys seeing a retro-themed project fail. For example, the single-digit % Kickstarters for David Crane, Colecovision, and Intellivision reboots really got me down. I feel this backlash is mostly due to (1) the stupidly optimistic promises, which don't line up at all with the RVGS team's ability to deliver, combined with (2) the starry-eyed, nostalgia-addled well-wishing of the backers, who don't seem to have put any critical thought into what the pitch is actually saying. I hate seeing people get duped, and Kennedy & co have done nothing to merit what amounts to $300 donations for a poorly designed/unfinished product. Schadenfreude is not the same thing as scambusting.

If multinational mega corp Sony can't make the psVita into a market success with nice hardware and lots of real indie titles that happen to boot quickly and only occasionally require updates (as if that's a negative) it's hard to see how even the scrappiest underdog is going to make a dent in the world. Of course, as I and other have said, there's serious doubt that this team can even deliver a raspberry pi equivalent in a jaguar shell. Sigh.

• Like 6

I've released a product of my own before. Nothing video game related, but still I understand what it like to have created something and it mean something special to you. Its a big deal and I can really feel for these guys being wrapped up in their project.

Anyhow, I think anyone watching can see they have a desire to release a great product. I also think that it still has a lot of potential and could really be something special. The constant pushing of the goal to try and make things better is in a way something I can admire. While I would love to see this be successfully released, I don't think the time is quite right and feel that its more in the concept stage like many others have stated. I really hope that this project gets reworked released as something that will be a real milestone in the video gaming world.

Also, I think it becomes easy to be engrossed in ones own project, even to the point where its hard to discern constructive or legitimate criticism of ones work from negativity. I kind of feel like that is a big part of what is going on as well.

Well, they willfully ignored the biggest requests: Detailed hardware information and at least proof of a working development system.

That's why it hurt them so much when Kevtris came in and showed how relatively easy/inexpensive it is to create a prototype. Add it in that we find developers such as him and PikoInteractive were in the dark as well, then the house of cards began to fall.

Even Kennedy himself scoffed at a console on Kickstarter that had no prototype and a video full of 3D renderings. He just didn't realize that from our vantage point RVGS looked exactly the same.

• Like 1

Atrai's last chance of a comebAtari's last chance of a comeback? :rolling:

When Jeff Minter made public Atari's legal threats to him over TxK (Tempest 2000 reimagined), Notch (Minecraft creator) posted on Twitter that he sided with Jeff. Jeff had previously said something to the effect of, "if I had the money, I'd buy the shambling corpse of Atari and give it to he people."

For about three days, I entertained the fantasy that Notch would buy up Atari and make all things right in the world. He has the resources to do something like that, if not the desire.

It would take someone with a whole lot of money but not a whole lot of sense to kite the RVGS in its current state. I think that's way more of a fantasy than my Notch/Atari/Llamasoft/public domain scenario. The indiegogo projections of 4% funding are way better odds.

• Like 2

Well, they willfully ignored the biggest requests: Detailed hardware information and at least proof of a working development system.

That's why it hurt them so much when Kevtris came in and showed how relatively easy/inexpensive it is to create a prototype. Add it in that we find developers such as him and PikoInteractive were in the dark as well, then the house of cards began to fall.

Given how much time and effort Kevtris put in his FPGA system, I wouldn't call the process easy or even inexpensive. It just seems that way because he came out with a finished, functional prototype, which seems to us like Kevtris pulled out of his hat. There was no magic involved, just years of hard work, and now Kevtris is reaping the rewards of his efforts just when cartridge-based (and SD-card-based) retro-consoles are the current talk of the town.

Usually there is a flurry of activity as far as donations from backers the first couple days. Usually after that, you have to fight for every dollar. I say when its all said and done with backers jumping in and out, they finish at 66,666 dollars
Now for a little "Shout at the Devil" by Motley Crue
Pops in CD Vinyl
oh yeaaaah

Fixed. :)

He does indeed do amazing things, and they are like magic to someone like me. But that's a hobby for him and he's not asking for almost $2 million. Kevin himself seemed to mock their $100k prototyping needs and lack of a physical board (I've highlighted the key points):

I noticed in the IGG that they are allocating around $100K(!) for prototype development. This is an insane amount of money, considering I am in for around $1000-1200 on my latest "advanced" prototypes- around 1% of what they are seeking. No, I am not going to start asking for money, just thought it was interesting to point out. Total development time from concept to prototype PCBs+parts was around 2-3 months. This included the design time in Altium, learning Altium, and getting the boards manufactured.

I figured if I was going to sell this thing, I was damn well going to have a working prototype of what I wanted to manufacture, and have the software fully working too.

As for the cartridge adapters, I came up with this idea almost 2 years ago, and the evidence can be seen on my above prototype PCB. I anticipated selling adapters in "groups". i.e. a single adapter might contain 3 or 4 cartridge ports each. The main stopper of course is packaging them into some kind of enclosure (requiring expensive molding, but today it isn't TOO bad). Frankly the electronics on something like this isn't too hairy, it always comes down to how you are going to package it, and who's going to want to pay for it. hehe.

Just thought I'd drop the bomb in here about how I have basically created what they are trying to create, but actually have gotten it manufactured and did it all on a shoestringish budget.

Now venn, now venn...

now_venn_now_vennfws7m.png

Sums it up brilliantly. I would consider myself in the turquoise zone myself. But like so many brilliant ideas, RetroVGS is a solution in search of a problem. It's the type of concept pitch that starts with "Wouldn't it be awesome if [...] existed..." You get tons of likes and followers, very few actual buyers or investors. Poor execution does not help either in this situation.

• Like 3

One thing you're missing is that this is intended to be a profitable business venture for those guys. I'm not inferring that $2 million dollars means they'll be raking in the big bucks or anything like that. Clearly it seemed RVGS clashed with kevtris mainly about cost. A good portion of the homebrew scene is curiosity-driven, not profit-driven. Eventually folks like Krikzz or Atari Max can make that the case, but usually it's not right off the bat. Classic Gaming Expo was seldom a money maker for its founders, but they enjoyed it, and did it to serve the retro community.

I'm reminded on pinside, there's a thread for a pinball machine(actually 2 or 3) that people plunked down quite a bit of money for. 4 years later, nothing surfaced except for a prototype that barely played. The thread has thousands of replies, not unlike this one.

I have an interview scheduled with Mike and the team tonight. Any questions you all want losed to them?

Maybe it's academic at this point, but I'd like to know details of the FPGA should they meet the $1.95m target and not the $3.8m one - a rough spec and an idea of which consoles (if any) a successful lower-tiered campaign would support.

While I'm here, there's a short interview with Kevtris regarding RVGS, not sure it was posted: http://nintendolegend.com/2015/09/interview-kevin-kevtris-horton-on-the-retro-vgs/Probably nothing new, have only skimmed over.

I have an interview scheduled with Mike and the team tonight. Any questions you all want losed to them?

Yeah, what the hell is the RetroVGS for? Homebrews on FPGA cores or modern indie games on carts? I'm still confused on what it's really about... :?

Keep them coming. I am laying out the interview questions as it nears.

They just said the following on FB:

"We do in fact, have lots of the pieces of the puzzle in place with the tooling and controller in hand. That is half the battle."

Do they honestly believe that anywhere remotely close to half the work is done at this point?