IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

They''ve said multiple times that they believed the negative comments were responsible for holding back the campaign. This is their way of fixing that problem. I think they're about to find out it'll have the reverse outcome.

The only possible rational Explanation for a Jaguar Shell with a powerful ARM processor inside wouldn't be a huge success is the negativity of a bunch of stupid trolls. If you guys were to shut up and donate to the campaigh it would get funded. So there you go. It IS your fault they'll fail.

I think they're still holding out hope for some press coverage. Didn't someone say Gamester81 would be doing a video? And they still have that promise that they'll post the interview with Triverse so maybe they think they did well

And yeah, those visitor posts are toxic. I think they've banned so many visitors from the comments that now it's nothing but backers. At least that gives a realistic idea of what their market is.

Yeah but he might be the last coverage they can find. I wouldn't be surprised if they've tried to leverage some of the RETRO columnists to get something in USgamer, they don't have a big audience but still it's something and they already got a preview story. I expected this to grab few headlines but damn, the news has been dead silent. I think the cartridge/Jaguar novelty of it wore off too quickly, probably as a result of them trying to hype it for the past six months.

Edit: also, Gamester81 has 94,000 subs and if you've seen his channel he does cover novelty stuff regardless of the expense, so his channel might have people who would be interested in getting this.

I think this project highlights how important it is today to go to a marketing firm when launching a crowdfunding campaign with multi-million dollar goals. Sure they get a little off the top, but their funding goal is lavish to begin with between salaries and high priced rent they should have enough wiggle room. Don't get me wrong, it would still be a difficult sell but at least it could have had some press coverage and the project wouldn't be stagnating.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro

It's easier to lie to yourself. A TON of People know about this Project. Damn, they have 16.000 People there on facebook. My last Youtube Video about the Retro VGS got over 200 hits, and my normal Videos get like 4... The target audience knows this exists. We just won't give them 300 bucks for their "Jaguar surprise in a box" Thing.

Damn, you announce a System for months saying you'll go for 180 bucks, then you announce 350 and go to indiegogo next week? Sure Thing.

If it was like: now it's 350, but it's way improved! people would still be upset but they'd understand. But they went for: it's over twice the Price, we took a Controller out, we lost the FPGA capabilities and only have 6 confirmed games. WOW, I'm sure if Gamester 81 makes a Video this will be funded the next day.

Seriously. John is quite nice when he's showing things he's involved with. It's normal. But I doubt he has the guts to go out there and paint this in Gold. He actually has a Reputation, and he really Needs it. So if he makes a Video it will have to be a down to earth one, and that won't help much at all.

Edited by leods
  • Like 1

Still would like to support the developers of Tiny Knight and the other games. Hopefully, if this doesn't succeed, they will be able to publish via download or on other platforms, if not otherwise already, without exclusivity contracts or black-outs hindering them. Their time and effort taken to produce something should be rewarded. :)

Still would like to support the developers of Tiny Knight and the other games.

None of the games are exclusive, except maybe Tiny Knight. Tiny Knight was supposed to be released for SNES and Wii U, but I'm not sure if they now have an exclusive deal for the RetroVGS. The other games can all be had on other platforms and for much cheaper.

I'm personally really excited for Songbringer. A DRM free copy for PC is only $18 from the developers.

• Like 1

Tiny Knight looked awful, and as soon as the Retro VGS goes down it will be on Android, iOS and PC.

If these people wanted to do something for retro/better gaming, why not pick something realistic? Like building a great controller or creating an awesome ge in the retro style...like a lot of people are doing. Those people,making Shovel Knight and Hotline Miami are the ones that keep the style alive. Not Mike Kennedy et al.

I still don't get why you would want an FPGA at all. Why emulate hardware that have limitations like flicker when to many instances are present on the screen? Does anybody miss that part of the old consoles/computers, when they tried to be arcade machines and do more than they can? I want a modern 'NES'-game to look and feel like a NES game, but I do not want to have the issues. I hate flickering and slowdown.

I hope we go the Android media player route. We just need more games that was made for controllers and not touch screen.

/Nicholas

Seriously. John is quite nice when he's showing things he's involved with. It's normal. But I doubt he has the guts to go out there and paint this in Gold. He actually has a Reputation, and he really Needs it. So if he makes a Video it will have to be a down to earth one, and that won't help much at all.

I was thinking about this, myself. Personally, I have done a couple of videos on my YouTube channel that were basically "paid" endorsements, in that I was given the products for free in exchange for making the videos. Thing is, they were products that I believe in (Everdrives), so I never had any qualms about it (and had even already done a couple of videos on other Everdrives, just because I really like them.) I would never risk what little reputation that I have (and moreso would just not want to insult the intelligence of my audience) by doing such a video on a product that I wasn't already a fan of, just to help someone else out. Since I am presenting myself as some kind of "gaming journalist", accepting freebies in exchange for an endorsement is already breaking one of the cardinal rules of journalism.

Point being, I would not be at all surprised if Gamester81 ends up not making a video for the RetroVGS. There's really nothing to make a video about unless you are either just making a straight-up commercial similar to their "sizzle reel", or you are just reporting or commenting on the situation as it is now. The former risks your reputation as you are ostensibly telling your audience to go out and spend money on something that may or may not end up being a total flop, therefore hurting your own reputation. The latter does the RetroVGS folks no good because it only further damages their reputation, since there's really no way to positively spin the situation as it is now.

• Like 1

It's easier to lie to yourself. A TON of People know about this Project. Damn, they have 16.000 People there on facebook. My last Youtube Video about the Retro VGS got over 200 hits, and my normal Videos get like 4... The target audience knows this exists. We just won't give them 300 bucks for their "Jaguar surprise in a box" Thing.

Damn, you announce a System for months saying you'll go for 180 bucks, then you announce 350 and go to indiegogo next week? Sure Thing.

If it was like: now it's 350, but it's way improved! people would still be upset but they'd understand. But they went for: it's over twice the Price, we took a Controller out, we lost the FPGA capabilities and only have 6 confirmed games. WOW, I'm sure if Gamester 81 makes a Video this will be funded the next day.

Can I have the link to your Youtube-channel?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Tiny Knight looked awful, and as soon as the Retro VGS goes down it will be on Android, iOS and PC.

I thought Tiny Knight looked quite good, of course you have to remember this is really a homebrew snes game. When this was a $150 console I thought it would be fun to play, hope it still gets a release somewhere else.

Edited by Radfoo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKruFRO0L2pqAJMo5fZAhA

It's pretty much crap though.. My Point was more in the lines of People are really looking for it. They're searching this on YouTube, they're googling, they're thirsty for Information, but all they get is "it's gonna be awesome" "we have hundreds of developers crazy to work on this" kinda stuff. It's sad...

I'd love to have some Subs who actually like Videogames though, because the Subs that find me so far don't give a crap about Retro games. LOL I'm not a Retro guy though. I'm a good games guy. They just happen to be mostly indie games nowadays, often Retro themed.

Oh, and tiny Knight was crowdfunded for the SENS. I hope to god it gets released for the SNES, you can't run a campaign and Switch platform after People backed it. I'm pretty sure they were just going to F*ing emulat the Thing on the FPGA..Sorry, not sure this was crowdfunded. I thought I've seen a croowdfunding page for the game, but now I founf None.

Edited by leods

Pat The NES Punk and Ian really nailed all the major issues in their CU Podcast.

I still think there is a market here for collectors if it was done correctly. Maybe the Analogue NT team should take over. They add a Genesis slot and a new slot for playing new games on cartridges (like Shovel Knight) and I would be sold. That's what this system needs to be. Their first production already sold out, and they are asking $499. People are willing to pay the high price if the execution is good enough.

Monty

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKruFRO0L2pqAJMo5fZAhA

It's pretty much crap though.. My Point was more in the lines of People are really looking for it. They're searching this on YouTube, they're googling, they're thirsty for Information, but all they get is "it's gonna be awesome" "we have hundreds of developers crazy to work on this" kinda stuff. It's sad...

I'd love to have some Subs who actually like Videogames though, because the Subs that find me so far don't give a crap about Retro games. LOL I'm not a Retro guy though. I'm a good games guy. They just happen to be mostly indie games nowadays, often Retro themed.

Oh, and tiny Knight was crowdfunded for the SENS. I hope to god it gets released for the SNES, you can't run a campaign and Switch platform after People backed it. I'm pretty sure they were just going to F*ing emulat the Thing on the FPGA...

Ha, I already listened to your videos. Wow, I already knew you guys...before I came here!

• Like 1

Garry Kitchen and his $1040 is back, for what it's worth.

I was just about to post this myself. Although, with the other backers they've lost (they're down to 191 now), even his $1040 pledge only puts them $312 ahead of their total at the start of the day. This, at a time when they'd need to raise about $46K, per day, every day, to have a ghost of a chance of meeting their goal.

This was just posted by Mike on FB, in response to the failed Kickstarter campaigns he had posted:

"We are light years ahead of them. We have invested in and have in hand the console shell, we have a tried-and-true team of industry hardware guys who have worked on consumer hardware and software in the past. We have legit developers already working with us to bring games. We have suppliers and contract manufacturers set up and ready to start producing "real" consumer prototypes and finished products. The list goes on and on. We aren't hiding the fact that we don't have a prototype and the facts are making a prototype is very expensive. Do you think Sony prototypes a new piece of hardware for a ew thousand dollars? It takes tens of thousands to do it right and that is what we are prepared to do. The design we've working on has been almost a year in the making and we could prototype quickly if we could afford to do it. Simple as that."

He still believes that they are very far along with the project. I don't understand the comments about having developers working on games. First, they don't even have final hardware or a development kit. How is anything getting developed? Second, all the developers I've reached out to (except CollectorVision) have told me that they will only develop for the console if the campaign is successful. They're not developing anything yet.

Well, one good thing came out of this project -- their comparison of Read Only Memories to Snatcher means that I will give that game a try when it launches in less than two weeks on every platform other than RetroVGS. I'll probably play it on my iPhone, where it will be portable and will almost certainly cost less than $50, even though it won't have a translucent purple cartridge shell.

Well, one good thing came out of this project -- their comparison of Read Only Memories to Snatcher means that I will give that game a try when it launches in less than two weeks on every platform other than RetroVGS. I'll probably play it on my iPhone, where it will be portable and will almost certainly cost less than $50, even though it won't have a translucent purple cartridge shell.

You'll come crying straight back to the Retro VGS when the next iOS patch takes your game away!

• Like 1

I don't understand the comments about having developers working on games. First, they don't even have final hardware or a development kit. How is anything getting developed? Second, all the developers I've reached out to (except CollectorVision) have told me that they will only develop for the console if the campaign is successful. They're not developing anything yet.

AFAIK even Steve Woita isn't developing a game for the RVGS, and we've been hearing for months from Mike how badly Woita wants to make a game for the system.