IGNORED

Controller Disc Cosmetic Repair

HunterZero

Quite pleased how this turned out.

The disc on the right hand controller on my Inty 1 was looking a bit poorly. The disc has a clear plastic film on it. This film had a circular hole scratched into it about 10mm across with the metalised surface showing through. The edges of the hole were jagged and annoying when your thumb was on it. Wish I'd taken a before pic now.

So I peeled off the plastic, cleaned off the adhesive residue with rubbing alcohol and applied new clear book film.

post-34908-0-63655400-1424867984_thumb.jpg

Result!

- J

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recently picked up an Intellivision I...great to have this system again!
It's in excellent condition except for one of the controller discs...that has lots of light scratches that appear to be only on the surface. Hunterzero discovered that his controller's disc had a plastic film-layer. If mine is the same, I should be able to use a plastic buffing compound (PlastX) to buff-out the scratches. Problem is...I can't tell if there is a plastic layer, and if there isn't, I may ruin the metal surface. Since I have the same model as Hunterzero, I would think the discs would be the same...but I can't be sure.

I welcome any advice.

Thanks,

StephenJ

Weird... I tried a few things on the gold on my controller and was wary of removing the gold. Used milder stuff so no acetone. WD40 and isopropyl alcohol had no effect on the gold. WD40 had no effect on the adhesive either. The isopropyl worked slowly.

You could find yellow tinted clear film?

Edited by HunterZero

Weird... I tried a few things on the gold on my controller and was wary of removing the gold. Used milder stuff so no acetone. WD40 and isopropyl alcohol had no effect on the gold. WD40 had no effect on the adhesive either. The isopropyl worked slowly.

You could find yellow tinted clear film?

i just used 91% isopropyl alchohol. I will try another with 70% isopropyl alchohol. It had removed the sticky and the gold really easy. Edited by pimpmaul69

Hunterzero,

"...Look very carefully at the edges of the disc to see if you can detect any fraying or lifting of plastic at the edge...".

Used a magnifying glass...no sign of fraying or lifting of plastic. I decided to take a chance and try using PlastX. Although it caused no damage, it did nothing about the surface scratches. Bummer.

Thanks,

StephenJ

HunterZero...and anyone who is interested...

I decided to gently use my fingernail in a prying motion on the edge of the disc. Slowly a very small portion of the plastic layer started to peel-up. When I first attempted to pull the plastic with tweezers, the disc pulled apart from the brown plastic holder. With repeated sessions of soaking with Goo-Gone, waiting a few minutes and gently pulling with tweezers...the plastic was completely removed from the disc. Note: I was very careful to not pull too hard so as to bend the thin metal disc. After some wiping with a soft cloth...it looked like new and with no discoloration.

Now I have to apply a new clear-plastic layer. Since the disc is removed from the brown plastic holder, I decided I would use a non-thermal paper laminater that I have at work. I would think that trimming the excess plastic around the disc with a razor-blade should not be too big of a problem. But all that will have to wait until Monday. I'll update this thread afterwords.

All the best,

StephenJ