IGNORED

JAGUAR, 3DO, AND THE CDI

AtariORdead

If its like 5 against 1 that does not mean those 5 are absolutely factually correct all the time or sometimes even close to it. 5 to 1 ratio is nothing. I see it happen way too often on internet forums where a gang of guys gang up on another guy with a different opinion etc its really annoying. oh well who cares.

in their day "different" people are almost always seen as stupid or crazy because sheep type people just cant fathom not going with the flow and not agreeing with popular opinion. sometimes free thinkers are batshit crazy and sometimes they are very intelligent. sometimes both.

yes but a lot of people who are " different " are also so for the wrong reasons.

Sometimes going with the flow is the correct decision. If for example someone said hitting a women is ok, would you applaud him for being a little different, and condemn everyone else for conforming and saying its wrong.

If someone says something stupid, it is actually ok to call them out on it.

• Like 4

If its like 5 against 1 that does not mean those 5 are absolutely factually correct all the time or sometimes even close to it. 5 to 1 ratio is nothing. I see it happen way too often on internet forums where a gang of guys gang up on another guy with a different opinion etc its really annoying. oh well who cares.

1+1=3.

Anyone who gangs up on me is annoying and they're clearly ganging up on me because of genetics. They can't think outside the box and clearly follow the popular opinion that 1+1=2. YOU'RE ALL SHEEP!!!

• Like 6

Thank you for bringing in the paper, please turn to page 18 so I can continue reading..... :)

Same. I was really enjoying that high-level bullsh*t. I wanna read how it concludes:

"Jaguar is already considered to be the industry standard lead development platform, ahead of Playstation & Saturn, with ports of superior Atari Jaguar games already reported to have been massively condensed and downscaled to be able to even run at HALF the quality on Sony & SEGA's mere 32-bit platforms thanks to Atari's clever and ingenious usage of revolutionary new cartridge based technology, never seen before. Reportedly, SEGA & Sony have their concerns regarding their already inferior hardware and it is understood that both may be forced to retreat with their tail between their legs whilst in bewilderment of how much more capable and powerful the Jaguar hardware is vs SEGA & Sony's "toys".

Etc.

(p.s. lack of punctuation is intentional, as to evoke the loss of breath those rabid Atari fans oft suffer from, whilst talking i.e. not conversing)

Edited by NeoGeoNinja
  • Like 4

:-) That'd be Jaguar "literally" kicks the trousers off the 3DO for the English version then? unless 3DO was going 'Commando' on us....

I too raise a hand for page 18 to appear forthwith....

How long did this publication last? i see issue 1, volume 1....had never heard of it prior to this...

Looks like the Sunday Sport of the gaming industry...64 Bits found on the moon....Elvis found...playing Jaguar Quake....Jaguar CD...more powerful than God.....etc etc.

• Like 1

The paragraph on Crescent Galaxy is something else.

Raiden also gets depicted as "the version" to play, and although not a bad port it is hardly definitive or a show of muscles.

Talking about overpromising and underdelivering.

I found fascinating the presence of a big chunk of description of techs that were popular/buzz-worthy at the time (morphing, texture mapping, T&L etc..) that leads me to believe Atari really wanted to place Jag as a 3D machine .... given the results though I am more convinced the marketing dept was attempting to capture mind shares assuming the SW alone could fill in the gap the HW didn't really tackle (or just marginally tackled).

Edited by phoenixdownita

I must admit that despite the obvious fanboy nonsense, I love the fact that it's a contemporary report from 1993. It also begs the question, is this the first known case of Jaguar Syndrome?

Definitely one of the first, that's for sure. I found some other crazy fanboy ramblings from a 1994 edition of AEO:

While some people on the net have stated that this title didn't live

up to expectations, I was one who felt that Checkered Flag will give

Virtua Racing a run for its money.

The controls felt very solid.

Kasumi Ninja has by far the best graphics in a fighting game to date.

Re: Troy Aikman Football

The final version

promises to be a possible Madden killer, taking advantage of the Jag's

powerful hardware.

I guess I can see some of the optimism over the platform in 1994. The fact that statements even more removed from reality than these are still being posted in 2015 is truly mind blowing.

Definitely one of the first, that's for sure. I found some other crazy fanboy ramblings from a 1994 edition of AEO:

Re: Troy Aikman Football

I guess I can see some of the optimism over the platform in 1994. The fact that statements even more removed from reality than these are still being posted in 2015 is truly mind blowing.

Not whatsoever

Posted this elsewhere, but another industry insider viewpoint on why the CDi etc were abandoned so quickly:

Martin Piper, Argonaut:

”It would have been nice to use the engine for CD-i Alien Odyssey but that conversion project didn't really start. I actually started the Sega Saturn conversion but that was also cancelled after a month, we had a new bigger project to work on. I assume this was why Argonaut/Virgin moved away from CD-i because technology wise it was being eclipsed by the newer consoles from Sega, Sony and Nintendo. To stay in the race Philips needed a much newer machine, but they didn't deliver. History is littered with the cases of old consoles.”

Source:http://cdii.blogspot.co.uk/2006/05/creature-shock-on-cd-i.html

• 1 month later...

Sooo can we finally agree that JagCD was a troll since he hasn't posted since this thread died?

Here is the mad troll master. He has endless trolling capacity coming in your direction.

Wiki: "In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

No + just - = booooring nay-saying around here = unlogic flaming

Here's another description of that broadcast from 1993, including some funny bits. "Hot stuff, Herb!"
http://www.amigareport.com/ar129/p1-6.html

Cuts from Crescent Galaxy, Cybermorph and Raiden were shown being played:

"The first time Jaguar software has been seen on TV. The games are
colorful, fast-paced, with lots of action."

Atari President Sam Tramiel said, "I love shoot'em up games. That's what
people like to play.... The big thing is to have a lot of fun with your
software. That's the key."

Glenn Rubenstein, a videogame reviewer for the San Francisco Examiner, was
seen having been given some time to spend with a Jaguar. "For 250 dollars,
I'm very impressed with the Jaguar." Rubenstein laughed, "I would actually
spend my own money. Not a lot of journalists would say that about a
product, but I would actually go out and buy a Jaguar."

Weisbaum closed his report on Atari by saying Rubenstein would have to
wait until November for the Jaguar's San Francisco and New York rollout,
with national distribution coming in 1994.

He then pointed out that 3DO is going to the stores now. For $700. CBS
This Morning anchor Harry Smith asked Weisbaum, "Who's going to pay that?"

Weisbaum answered, "They [3DO] say people will for brand new technology."

He also added that the machines (both 3DO and Jaguar) will be able to
connect to digital networks to enable players to play games linked across
the country.

Harry Smith neatly summed up the segment, "Hot stuff, Herb."

Edited by sirlynxalot