IGNORED

EAMON for A8?

Muzz73

Hello, all...

While there are hundreds of EAMON adventures for the Apple ][, I've noticed that there have only been one or two converted for use on the A8 and was wondering how difficult it'd be convert the rest of them over.

Let me add that I have no programming knowledge whatsoever and don't have any clue how these games are structured and was wondering if, perhaps, they were simply ASCII text with a BASIC interpreter (like Zork).

Is there anyone out there who might have an idea where/how I could get started (apart from learning Atari BASIC, which I already plan to do)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Muzz73
  • Like 1

http://www.eamonag.org/columns/mainpgmtour.htm contains the source code (actually a BASIC listing). Glossing over it does not seem to contain anything that couldn't be duplicated in ATARI BASIC or Turbo BASIC XL.

It should be possible to do a rather straightforward conversion (though I have not looked at the actual game files yet).

I was thinking BASIC, because AFAIK, the Apple ][ files were done in BASIC, so I figured there might be minimal loss and minimal tweaking needed to get it done.

Like I said, I have no programming knowledge at all and am just looking for a place to start.

Thanks!

I ported the Eamon master disk to the A8 back in the day (probably around 1989 or so):

http://gury.atari8.info/details_source_code/3959.php

I also ported the Dungeon Designer disk which allowed you to make new games. I don't see that anywhere online so I can try to dig through my old disks and see if I still have it. It was pretty rough but I believe it was reasonably functional.

Nice! Thanks for the pointers, folks!

Does anyone know offhand which version of BASIC EAMON was originally done in? Applesoft? Integer?

I'm wondering if knowing that would help us to find the version of BASIC on the A8 most suitable.

BTW, pretty sure that conversion to Atari MS Basic would be quite easy.

I recall starting down that path but there was even less free program memory in Atari MS BASIC than in standard Atari BASIC. It was a challenge to get the Apple Eamon code to fit in Atari BASIC on a 48K machine.

Does anyone have some general knowledge as to how these are put together? I.e. -- is every disk a completely separate entity (maybe with some amount of common code)? Or is there an "engine" and database that supplies the engine (if that makes any sense)? Looking through the Atari images (nice!), it looks like everything is pretty much a standalone entity.

Is there someplace where the Apple and other versions are stored as text files? (I've looked, but found nothing yet other than disk images.) I'm curious about converting Applesoft, so I need a LISTed version of at least one Apple adventure. And I will keep looking...

-Larry

Does anyone have some general knowledge as to how these are put together? I.e. -- is every disk a completely separate entity (maybe with some amount of common code)? Or is there an "engine" and database that supplies the engine (if that makes any sense)? Looking through the Atari images (nice!), it looks like everything is pretty much a standalone entity.

Is there someplace where the Apple and other versions are stored as text files? (I've looked, but found nothing yet other than disk images.) I'm curious about converting Applesoft, so I need a LISTed version of at least one Apple adventure. And I will keep looking...

-Larry

If you want to understand creating new games then try reading through the newsletters

http://www.eamonag.org/columns/DD-columns.htm

BTW, this page mentioned the Atari version:

http://www.eamonag.org/pages/Play_today.htm

• Like 2

-Larry

If I recall correctly, when the player left the main hall, they were prompted to insert the adventure disk. A "main program" was run from the adventure disk which drove the actual adventure. When the "main program" executed, it read data files from the adventure disk representing rooms, items, monsters, etc.

The Dungeon Designer disk's primary function was to facilitate easy creation of those data files. When the author wanted to create a playable adventure disk, the Dungeon Designer would write the "main program" and all data files to a blank disk.

The "main program" had the potential to be consistent across all adventures but it would lead to some pretty boring games. I believe individual adventure authors modified the "main program" to add more advanced, adventure-specific capabilities to their game.

I also recall there being multiple versions of the "main program" based on the version of the Dungeon Designer disk used to author the adventure.

Edited by Farb

Do you recall how you got the programs over from the A2 to the Atari years ago? I have downloaded some Apple II .DSK images, but am not aware of a good way to get them cross the "digital divide." The only thing that really comes to mind is to use an Apple emulator to load and then send the files in Ascii format over to the PC then over to the Atari using APE's PC Mirror. I'm not sure that is even doable, but probably some A2 emulator supports a serial transfer. (?)

Any thoughts?

-Larry

Do you recall how you got the programs over from the A2 to the Atari years ago? I have downloaded some Apple II .DSK images, but am not aware of a good way to get them cross the "digital divide." The only thing that really comes to mind is to use an Apple emulator to load and then send the files in Ascii format over to the PC then over to the Atari using APE's PC Mirror. I'm not sure that is even doable, but probably some A2 emulator supports a serial transfer. (?)

Any thoughts?

-Larry

You can extract files from Apple II disks with CiderPress.

Any thoughts?

-Larry

I did it the old fashion way -- printing the Apple II code and typing it into the Atari :-)

• Like 2

Glossing over the BASIC file I saw a lot of xx% variables I presumed to be integer variables, so Turbo BASIC XL might be a better choice.

Have to retract on this one, TB XL doesn't have INT after all. I just misread the manual.