IGNORED

YAMARI - OPL3 cartridge (XE/XL)

Matej

Bubble Bobble used OPN and OPL chips for it's sound.
That was some of the best arcade music ever made IMHO.

*edit*

FWIW, I prefer the Ensoniq chip in the Apple IIgs and OPL4, but they require RAM for buffers for the samples.

Edited by JamesD

Matey wait maybe, Toriman said that he will work on internal version with covox probably. As we do not still have cart + eci extender this will be maybe more interesting? There are probably two or more companies with automated mounting in Poland. Do not know prices, but used by us extensions are assembled by them - as I read on AArea.

I am waiting for someone making such extension with ym2149 or ay.

The brass like sound is awesome. But there is a allwas a "hole" in sound after.

The "Brass" sound sounds awesome, because the whole tune sounds awesome :D

But, possibly you recognize the problem with RMT.

The sounds need a correction , in a special tracker it would use approx. 32 CPU cycles , every instrument-start. In RMT it takes 2 VBI cycles to wait for a correction. So you always have 100ms gaps, where the correction happens.

Matey wait maybe, Toriman said that he will work on internal version with covox probably. As we do not still have cart + eci extender this will be maybe more interesting? There are probably two or more companies with automated mounting in Poland. Do not know prices, but used by us extensions are assembled by them - as I read on AArea.

I am waiting for someone making such extension with ym2149 or ay.

I'm pretty sure, you don't want the YM2149 on the A8, because the only chance to have some "good sound" is to use heavy manipulations via CPU. Do the same "via CPU" on the POKEY chip would be much more thankfull.

I'm pretty sure, you don't want the YM2149 on the A8, because the only chance to have some "good sound" is to use heavy manipulations via CPU. Do the same "via CPU" on the POKEY chip would be much more thankfull.

The AY based chips have waveform, envelope and volume settings so it isn't that bad.

Sadly, it doesn't have separate envelope settings for each channel, they must share the same one.

The AY8930 provides envelope settings for each channel and some other enhancements while remaining mostly backwards compatible.

The TI (SN76489) chip doesn't have any such settings so it does require more manipulation.

It does have the advantage of allowing you to write the register # and register setting in a single write where the AY chips require separate writes.

Many of the OPN chips offer backwards compatibility with the YM2149 so they might be a better choice than OPL if someone wants AY chip support.

• 3 years later...