IGNORED

The Jaguar version of Rayman Conspiracy

Lost Dragon

:-)

Should be the UK/USA Press reporting of the Jaguar Conspiracy.....

Whilst nothing heard from Ian H.regarding Edge's quote they claimed he made, i did ask Andy Satterthwaite, who started at Psygnosis in Liverpool, back in 1993... programmer on the PC version of Wipeout, Krazy Ivan, PS1 Colony Wars, Wipeout 2097 etc, if he knew if Psygnosis ever had a Jaguar, even just for evaluation, his reply:

Hi Ross,

'I certainly never got to see a Jaguar until after it had been launched. Can't say for certain that there wasn't one lurking around, but I don't recall any buzz about such a thing (and there usually was if anything new and exciting was being looked at).

Andy'

Not sure who CJ spoke to at Psygnosis, hence me asking Andy, just in case there was a unit lurking around somewhere :-)

But does'nt sound like it at all.

Edge's 'reporting' on Jaguar is very questionable indeed.

• 1 month later...

Discussed Team 17's Sony Anti-2D comments that cropped up in that RG article, well here's a few more from them back in the day:

'..... Sony wouldn't approve Worms because it isn't 3D. Hopefully they'll recognise their error when they get a look at the sales figures of Worms outside of the States...'

'Well the good news is that SONY finally approved the game (mid November) and that we expect the title to go on sale sometime in Europe in December. Enjoy it, it`s probably the slickest version overall. While I`m on the subject, I it looks like you have an American email address - Sony US failed to approve the title on PSX because it wasn`t 3D - and it`s unlikely that you`ll get a US NTSC version of Worms until the 1st quarter 96 - which is a shame as it`s finished and ready to master.'

'I'm afraid there won't be a Worms:Reinforcements. In fact, due to Sony'santi-2D stance, it's looking unlikely that there will be a Playstationversion of Worms2...'

:-) I was told long ago i should use multiple sources for my quotes as 'proof of claims made', so thought it only sound that i follow up the RG Magazine article quote with those publically posted by Team 17 themselves during the 1995/96 era, espically since how they (for myself at least) made for interesting reading regarding Sony's apparent not wanting/wanting/not wanting 2D games stance....

• Like 1

Sony wouldn't approve Worms on PSX and then did. The Jaguar Rayman plot conspiracy thickens!!

:roll:

I think Lost Dragon's just adding new information as he finds it; to document the topic for future reference.

That was really funny though.

Edited by KappaGuy99

:-) Regarding the Team 17 Sony would'nt approve Worms/was anti-2D then did approve Worms and were'nt anti-2D debate...

The Jaguar Rayman plot conspiracy thickens even more if you factor in:
PS1 had Worms, but not Worms 2..but then had both Worms Armageddon and World Party....
Plus according to Team 17, Sony would'nt allow them to port their Amiga games to PS1, yet we saw 2D Amiga games like Xcom on PS1.....
Run for the hills time...
On a more serious note though, KappaGuy99 is perfectly correct, all i'm doing is documenting the information that's been out there in various forms and people can make up their own minds on what went down and why...it just helps to have as much information avaiable as possible, to try and get a 'feel' for the direction the industry might of been heading in at any 1 given time.
  • Like 1

I was'nt even aware there was such a feature as given this is just a forum, i never went looking for such a thing.

Plus given the amount of poor spelling and punctuation that's cropped up in professional publications over the years dealing with all things Retro, let alone Atari or the Jaguar, seems like i'm very good company and i'm not the one claiming i used a proof reader either.

Mock my spelling, device i use to log-in here, the claims i make, what ever floats the proverbial boat...

It's simply not going to change anything and i'm not getting bogged down in another pointless exchange on here over nothing...ohhh the drama....not.

If you don't like my posts use AA's ignore function, that's what it's there for is'nt it?...

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3

wouldn't.

Come on, if you can't spell or punctuate turn the bloody auto-corrects on. AA even underlines things you get wrong.

Lost Dragon doesn't do his posting using a computer or phonr. IIRC, it's done using the Dreamkey browser of the Dreamcast, or something similarly unusual?

Potentially, this is why certain things are overlooked (spelling/punctuation)?

• Like 1

I've explained the fact that i really do not use my Ipad 2 all that much and i'm not a fan of using touch screen technology to type, period...more times than i care to think back on.

Ditto the fact that for some reason AA Forum won't let me sign in using I.E on 360.
it's gotten well beyond tiresome.
The simple fact is, that even by using such primitive devices, i've managed to do the interviews and Lost games research that likes of ST Gamer, Unseen64, GTW, Return, Pro-Atari Classic Console Magazine etc etc were glad to have.
They've had no issues with cleaning up my content, Albert on here once offered to do the same.
People from various forums have also been quick enough to ask favours from myself using the industry contacts i've built up over the years and were'nt overly concerned then the emails i was sending on their behalf might be riddled with spelling mistakes etc.
  • Like 1

I like Rayman, but it's always interesting to me that what is a standout quality game on one system that is loved by fans of that system (e.g.: Rayman on Jaguar, Tempest on Jaguar or Need for Speed 1 on 3do, or Test Drive Le Mans and Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast) is "just another average game" in the eyes of fanboys of systems that received way more software support. For instance, you don't see PS1 fans discussing Rayman 1 or Need for Speed 1 or the PS1 Tempest game as standout titles in the PS1's library or PS2 fans discussing TD Le Mans or DOA2 as awesome titles with awesome graphics and gameplay.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 3

A very good point there sirlynxalot.

I often wonder how AVP might of been looked apon, had the conversion to PS1 been finished and the planned improvements implemented, given the system saw both Alien Trilogy and Res. in it's lifetime.
PS1 Doom often crops up more for the superb music, rather than the conversion itself these days.
I loved things like:Ecco The Dolphin, MDK 2, Headhunter on Dreamcast, yet they seem ignored on PS2....
Maybe it simply depends on just many titles were avaiable for the system in question?.
If it's flooded with software, i guess a port from another system is going to struggle to stand out somewhat?.
  • Like 1

Or simply that in the land of the blinds the one eyed man is king.

Where there's little to be had, even mediocrity is hailed as superlative.

Not saying Rayman was a mediocre game, but it was not superlative either for its time, it shines on the Jag because there's so little else.

I'd like to reinforce that Worms or no Worms I doubt there was any conspiracy against Rayman on the Jag, or at the least that it wouldn't have mattered much if any at all given the dreadful situation of the platform anyway.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

I like Rayman, but it's always interesting to me that what is a standout quality game on one system that is loved by fans of that system (e.g.: Rayman on Jaguar, Tempest on Jaguar or Need for Speed 1 on 3do, or Test Drive Le Mans and Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast) is "just another average game" in the eyes of fanboys of systems that received way more software support. For instance, you don't see PS1 fans discussing Rayman 1 or Need for Speed 1 or the PS1 Tempest game as standout titles in the PS1's library or PS2 fans discussing TD Le Mans or DOA2 as awesome titles with awesome graphics and gameplay.

Next to a game being compared to the game gallery's quality, I think a game gets the biggest impact when it's new on all systems. Yes, Tempest got attention on Jaguar and not on later ports that lack the sensation of being new. Maybe same with Rayman.

Edited by Atlantis

Lost Dragon doesn't do his posting using a computer or phonr. IIRC, it's done using the Dreamkey browser of the Dreamcast, or something similarly unusual?

Potentially, this is why certain things are overlooked (spelling/punctuation)?

This *ain't* an English class. Many people including myself try to be legible but occasionally typos crop up. No need to proofread like it's some sort of thesis.

"Legible" is the point. I myself always try to write correctly, but not being a native speaker errors occur. Likewise, I expect others to try as well. The trend of not caring about spelling and grammar at all in the days of chatting and texting is a bad one imo.

But, this is not school, and as long as it is legible that's fine.

I have a different opinion, and although the occasional typo is indeed very acceptable, systematic butchering of the syntax is not.

I am no native English speaker and until someone corrected me I kept on saying "better sad than sorry", which although still true it is not the correct idiom ("better safe than sorry" is, now I know).

I honestly wished someone corrected me earlier but it seems impolite to do so, and yet we lower the standards every time we let it slide.

So again the random typo is understandable, no need to proof read, but allowing a systematic error less so, after a while the individual in question would believe his behavior to be legitimate and in repeating it actually spread it around.

Even more offering a correction should not be considered impolite or nitpicking or in any way make the one offering it "the guilty" one. I doubt anyone here is cocky in that regard.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 4

Let me just draw a line under this entire 'debate' (amusing as it is), once and for all...

Since i joined here, i was told i was a certain banned poster under a new user name and events since then proved just how very foolish those claims were.

Things then moved onto my outdated devices used to post here-something i've explained untill i was blue in the face, i really cannot get it across any other way, i am not a writer, i do not submit articles to professional games press, i do not take payment for the research/interviews which i carry out for the community, never have, never will.

I'm soon to wrap up said community work, so hardly going to invest in a PC now of all times.

The very primitive web browsing technology i do use, has allowed me to conduct said interviews, research lost games.Numerous other sites have never kicked off.

Yet here, the Magic Carpet Jaguar CD thread was a prime example, utter scorn passed on my findings until Mike Diskett himself posted to confirm the findings.
  • Like 1