IGNORED

New Atari 2600 Homebrews

Atari Charles

Charles I can't upload video here in my phone. I didn't hoZer bash and I'm sending the games back for a full refund.

The guys at good deal games understand.

Enough said

You chose to not to upload the pictures of Sunset Drive screenshots, but easily uploaded the other pictures. Not as any kind of comparison between Sunset Drive and Yar's Revenge, but to poke fun at.

You totally Hozer Bashed. Look at your old posts. You used the Hozer angle to poke fun at the games. I don't need to quote your previous posts as everyone here has seen them.

You bought the games and once you realized the manufacturer was Hozer, you chose to bash the games. The only real issue with the games was the end labels(which you could have easily glued back on) started to peel. The games worked. You were unhappy only because the games were manufactured by Hozer. You alluded to that in more than a few posts.

I am glad that Good Deal Games did their best to make you happy. I think they went well above and well beyond what they actually had to do. The games were not faulty aside from the side peeling labels(based on your pictures)

Like I said, Sunset Drive is a Homebrew, a true homebrew. Believe what you want. If you are so sure that Sunset Drive is a hack of Yar's Revenge, why didn't you compare actual screenshots. Keep in mind someone claimed The Shaman was a hack and was proven wrong.

So Chris please be safe and secure and really simply only buy Atari Age games. You will really be happier this way. So will I.

To quote you Chris, "Enough said."

Edited by Atari Charles

I don’t frequent the forums much mostly due to the lack of time and obligations, but I was given a heads up about this and feel that I should sound off. First off, these are homebrews and while we try to come as close to a professional commercial release, they are not, hence the name “homebrew.” A different type of labeling system was used for these releases upon a recommendation of a customer and it turns out that the glue is not a good as what we have used in the past. Now we know and are returning to the past labeling procedure, so a temporary issue and problem solved.

Good Deal Games and Homebrew Heaven are hobbyist run operations. All on a volunteer basis and no one here has ever been paid in almost two decades of operation. All income goes directly to operate the organization and release the next project that we believe in and want to support. We do this for the love of the hobby. Since it is all done in our free time, we do not have the luxury of having it the way we would like. I would love to have screenshots and videos of the 400+ games we deal with. Frankly, it took years just to move from text listings to having box/cartridge images with a description.

Because of this, we have always had a FULL REFUND policy that if a homebrew game is purchased, a full refund is awarded if you are not happy with the product. So, there is no risk when dealing with us and we have a proven track record consistent for eighteen years.

I also want to state that the feedback for Sunset Drive and the others have been very positive. Let's stop with the "insect politics," remember why we are here, play some games and have some fun :-)

Sincerely,

Michael of GDG’s Homebrew Heaven

• Like 7

Chris Leach,

As the programmer of Sunset Drive, who spent more than 6 months coding and recoding the game from the ground up as a 100% new game until all 3,692 lines were complete and working, I consider your public attack on my code as slanderous.

You are a real piece of shit to think you can attack my work by calling it a “a poorly done hack over yars revenge programming”.

“I wasted my money for sure......think I can send them back? “

Quite frankly, I woudn't want a piece of shit like you owning one of my games.

I did not hack Yar's Revenge nor any other game.

The two don't even look remotely similar.

As your attack is public and affecting the sales of my game, I will be talking with Albert and if law permits, I will be suing you for Libel and economic loss as a result of your statements.

Greg Zumwalt

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chris Leach,

As the programmer of Sunset Drive, who spent more than 6 months coding and recoding the game from the ground up as a 100% new game until all 3,692 lines were complete and working, I consider your public attack on my code as slanderous.

You are a real piece of shit to think you can attack my work by calling it a “a poorly done hack over yars revenge programming”.

“I wasted my money for sure......think I can send them back? “

Quite frankly, I woudn't want a piece of shit like you owning one of my games.

I did not hack Yar's Revenge nor any other game.

The two don't even look remotely similar.

As your attack is public and affecting the sales of my game, I will be talking with Albert and if law permits, I will be suing you for Libel and economic loss as a result of your statements.

Greg Zumwalt

Threat of a lawsuit was nice via pm. Making it public. Tasteless!

I posted my response publicly as the attack and slander were done publicly and it is about time people on this forum know the consequences of such blatant public attacks.

I've been a member of this forum for over a decade yet it made no difference.

HAD Chris asked about the games in private; had he stated his opinions in private; had he not publicly lied about my work; had his public attacks not affected sales of my work, this could have remained private. But that is not what he did. He publicly attached my work and has cost sales. And those are crimes.

Chris could have just as easily said he purchased the game and didn't like it for FACTUAL reasons.

He did not.

This forum is not being used to state facts or general opinions, it is being used to commit crimes.

Slandering a person and causing loss of sales based upon those lies has its consequences.

I've said it before and I'll state it again. I've have dozens of games sold by many distributors and which have been covered in several magazines. No where else other than this forum does that work get attacked and it quite clearly is going to take legal action to send the message that this behavior is not conducive to this community.

This is all the more I will say on this subject publicly.

• Like 1

I posted my response publicly as the attack and slander were done publicly and it is about time people on this forum know the consequences of such blatant public attacks.

I've been a member of this forum for over a decade yet it made no difference.

HAD Chris asked about the games in private; had he stated his opinions in private; had he not publicly lied about my work; had his public attacks not affected sales of my work, this could have remained private. But that is not what he did. He publicly attached my work and has cost sales. And those are crimes.

Chris could have just as easily said he purchased the game and didn't like it for FACTUAL reasons.

He did not.

This forum is not being used to state facts or general opinions, it is being used to commit crimes.

Slandering a person and causing loss of sales based upon those lies has its consequences.

I've said it before and I'll state it again. I've have dozens of games sold by many distributors and which have been covered in several magazines. No where else other than this forum does that work get attacked and it quite clearly is going to take legal action to send the message that this behavior is not conducive to this community.

This is all the more I will say on this subject publicly.

Ok, now this is ridiculous....

Why don't you just post a video of the gameplay?

This current attitude of yours will cost you more sales than Chris' comment...

1. IMO it should be allowed to review any product positively or negatively without having to be afraid to be attacked by lawsuits. (Greg, please relax)
  2. If someone makes a wrong assumption in a review, this should be corrected (Chris, please double check Sunset Drive ASAP).
  3. If a customer is unhappy with a product, he should return it and get refunds (as Michael has offered in his well written reaction)
  4. If you buy a product just from a picture and description, then you have to expect, that you may not like what you get. To avoid this happening, reviews and test versions are usually provided. Personally I never buy anything without sufficient information. A lack of information makes me alert.

Just in case: This is my personal opinion which is completely unrelated to AtariAge.

• Like 4

• IMO it should be allowed to review any product positively or negatively without having to be afraid to be attacked by lawsuits. (Greg, please relax)
  • If someone makes a wrong assumption in a review, this should be corrected (Chris, please double check Sunset Drive ASAP).
  • If a customer is unhappy with a product, he should return it and get refunds (as Michael has offered in his well written reaction)
  • If you buy a product just from a picture and description, then you have to expect, that you may not like what you get. To avoid this happening, reviews and test versions are usually provided. Personally I never buy anything without sufficient information. A lack of information makes me alert.
Just in case: This is my personal opinion which is completely unrelated to AtariAge.

After playing and replaying the game sunset drive. I offer this as my honest opinion! It may not be a hack of yars revenge but that was the first game that came to mind upon popping it in and seeing the flickering gameplay in the middle of the screen as seen on yars revenge. No u do not go from left to right and attack a base with the evil enemy instead u go up and down the screen clearing who knows what that isn't even in the flickering mess in the center of the screen. Don't worry. I will be posting pics of sunset shortly after work today.

Public apology! I apologize here in the Atariage forum for suggesting that sunset drive is a hack. ( I did not know this was a hoZer title). I purchased it based on pure ignorance of it's gameplay and thought it sounded cool. (By the way I have purchased one game directly from hoZer in the past and feel it met my needs for a cheap reproduction, I love hoZer? As I supported their cause with the purchase of one game and had no complaints) I will not be returning them at good deal games expense as no one should encounter anymore losses due to the games not being of awesome quality as I had anticipated. The games still suck and were not talking about just sunset drive......but who can say they r both awesome when the original et is suggested as one of the worst games in history anyways!

Get off my jock for my less than approving review of yer work !

let's go to court?

Chris, just calling a game crap doesn't help very much. Maybe, when you post your pictures, you can provide some constructive feedback about WHY you think it is that bad?Constructive feedback helps both sides, customers and developers.

Will do. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion(in this case videogames) and should be allowed to express them. I just wish it was done more tactfully on Chris' part and with more accuracy. Sunset Drive has accomplished many things not previously done on any video game for the Atari 2600, so in that way it is quite a feat. But the game might not be everyone's cup of tea. That is understandable. I don't like games being bashed because they were manufactured by so and so or released by so and so, etc. as this is not really a review, but bashing.

I have gotten games published, sold and released by a variety of manufacturers, publishers, and so on. Each one brings something to the table. 8-Bit Classics got out of selling Atari 2600 homebrews and hacks, so Good Deal Games picked up a bunch of old and new titles. Good Deal Games has been great to deal in all respects. So was Atari Age and 8-Bit Classics. And so is Hozer Video Games. It really takes a lot of work on their end regardless of their role. As does it for the programmer, hacker, writer, artist, etc. to make the game, manual, storyline, and so on. I am pleased that I got to and get to work with all of these people that really starts off as a concept and ends up as a real game.

I am also thankful to those people who have taken a chance and bought one of my/our games both past, present, and future. I hoped they enjoyed the games and storylines that went along with them. If they didn't, well not every game is everyone's cup of tea. Good Deal Games has a very nice return policy and really goes above and beyond to make sure you the customer is happy with his or her purchase. I would just hate to see this abused by people who have no intention of keeping the game, just to buy it to try it or to post some review about it, then to return it. Good Deal Games is not Blockbuster Video.

My goal in all of this is too see the further development of Atari 2600 titles and technology that would have never been dreamed of back when the Atari 2600 was a current game system.

The label glue issue has been fixed.

Sunset Drive mentioned in the following hardcopy magazine publications

Read Retro #5

http://readretro.com/news/retro-magazine-issue-5-preview/

Retro Gamer #139

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/3456/s/retro-gamer-issue-139/

Edited by Atari Charles

Okay, I'll spill the beans...

THIS HAS ALL BEEN ONE BIG APRIL FOOLS JOKE concocted by multiple members here on the forums to promote the new (and old) development on our favorite console, the VCS. Nothing more to read here, so you can all go back to living your lives!

True dat. There r no returns being done and this was all done in sour taste to promote an awesome title. Sunset drive. ! Happy April fools day fools!

And the longest ongoing April Fools Joke in the history of Atari starting in 2006:

I did a 2nd interview with Howard Scott Warshaw on October 27, 2006 and asked him about this(see in interview section of E.T. Book Cart):

CFG: There was a recently-discovered prototype programmed in Taiwan called "E.T.: Return to Earth", which is supposedly a sequel of "E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial." Are you aware of any attempts by Atari or one of the various pirate Taiwanese companies to create a sequel to E.T.?

HSW: I never heard anything about a sequel. When I was working on the 2600 there was supposedly a coin-op version also in the works. That was abandoned as far as I know and I think there were subsequent versions on other home systems, but I never heard of a sequel at Atari.

It started in late 2006 and was mentioned in the E.T. Book Cart in a few places as an unofficial sequel to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial known as E.T.: Return to Earth:

SPECTRE:

There is a Spectre in the Atari 2600 world known by Atari insiders as E.T.: Return to Earth. This game was programmed and completed by an American programmer working for a small bootleg company located in Taipei, Taiwan. Oddly the title screen reads: SAVE ELLIOT. This game was never released. The only known prototype is located in a private collection in Paris, France.
The game features a map similar to the original E.T. except the terrain is very Mars-like. E.T. goal is to save Elliot from invaders from Mars. There are creatures that E.T. must avoid or he will be devoured by the space invader style monsters. The intro music is very eerie and would fit a horror flick much better than sci-fi game.
From typed instruction manual: The E.T. is lonely for friend Elliot. The E.T. not wanting his kind turns to earth and find mars monsters that eat people and make prisoner to Elliot. The E.T. get angry and have to make Elliot safe. WATCH OUT! Mars monsters HUNGRY. Points go high if weapon made and the E.T. make Elliot safe on earth. If Elliot not rescue and time make zero, the E.T. will die too. You be brave. The E.T. must be brave to help friend Elliot and in truth she make earth happy and well.
"I wasn't sure what to make of this discovery. My son found this on his travels in Asia and brought it back to me as a gift. There wasn't a box, just a cartridge with writing on it and a crude one page typed black and white manual. The game is playable. It appears as if the programmer relied heavily on the first E.T. game to program this sequel." - Christopher Vallee, France, 2006.

https://atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareID=4083

https://atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=2751

In 2007, I fill in some people that this is a joke, but not to say a word.

Then in 2007, a fictional negotiation began with the French owner Christopher Vallee who supposedly owned the prototype:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/106745-et-return-to-earth-prototype/

In 2010, I do up 4 prototypes for people(including me), but they are already in on the joke.

In 2014, I do a limited printing of 14 or 15 as entirely free gifts including free postage for people and filled some of them in on the joke.

In 2015, a regular release carried by Good Deal Games is released:

http://www.atari2600homebrew.com/home/category/sunset-drive

In 2015, April 1st, I let the cat out of the bag.

Length of April Fools Joke: 8 Years, 5 Months and 3 days.

April Fools Everyone!!! There was never a sequel to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. But now there is. :)

Edited by Atari Charles