IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 8 Round 4 Missile Command

zylon

Our game for round 4 is Missile Command. Play on default game with no bonus cities and see how far you can go. That trick method of letting your last city die because you'll get a bonus won't help you now....

Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC records and wins.

Round ends on Sunday April 12th 2015 @10PM EST

I got used to time on my computer being off an hour with stupid daylight saving time that I did not notice it had finally corrected itself and will add the hour we got "cheated" on to this round.

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

(Default game with no bonus cities - Press # Key)
zylon 115,585
Final scores:

94,565 sdamon +11

88,670 darthkur +10

87,270 Cafeman +9

74,155 zylon +8

50,845 voodoo_chilly +7

44,195 Bemis +6

29,985 doctorclu +5

27,205 roadrunner +4

26,345 atariron82 +3

25,535 jblenkle +2

25,455 NIKON +1

Missile Command.BIN

Edited by zylon

Might have to sit this one out, it doesn't seem to play very well in emulation. Is the 8-bit version allowed?

You can play with your mouse if using kat5200 which will emulate the trackball.

Set the input to mouse then go through the autodetect just like you would with a joystick.

after setting the mouse up..reset the game and it will work

Edited by NIKON

Yeah, I'll have to work on that a bit, I guess.

I tried that and the cursor still jumped all over the screen when I moved the mouse.

Thanks! Will try again today.

You can play with your mouse if using kat5200 which will emulate the trackball.

Set the input to mouse then go through the autodetect just like you would with a joystick.

after setting the mouse up..reset the game and it will work

Absolutely hating the fire button on the track ball controller.

Apparently I was not the only one...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/24848-5200-trackball-question/?do=findComment&comment=278664

Is there a version of this that uses the regular 5200 controller?

(30 minutes later...)

Got a Wico controller to work but URGGG!!! I can't get percise controls! What the hell?! Either the controllers are jumpy or the controller plots me on 9 points on the screen (corners, between corners, and center.) What is the deal with this game?

Edited by doctorclu

Is there a version of this that uses the regular 5200 controller?

(30 minutes later...)

Got a Wico controller to work but URGGG!!! I can't get percise controls! What the hell?! Either the controllers are jumpy or the controller plots me on 9 points on the screen (corners, between corners, and center.) What is the deal with this game?

As Cafeman says, a stock cx52 actually works well with Missile Command. Zylon is a master at this game and that's what he uses.

I've found the Wico to work decently well myself, but not really any better that the cx52 for this particular game. The trackball may be the best choice of all, but, as you've noted, the button isn't the greatest. Still, it's quite functional on my unit... perhaps yours needs a bit of maintenance?

As for the "9 points" issue you mentioned, that should really only happen if using a digital controller via a Masterplay or Redemption or the digital Coin Controls Comp Pro stick. I can't understand how that would happen using a cx52 or a Wico.

Well, I played as promised with the little time I had, but the former champ takes the round. Good job! :thumbsup: thanks to all who played and I am off to set up the next round.

Final scores:
94,565 sdamon +11
88,670 darthkur +10
87,270 Cafeman +9
74,155 zylon +8
50,845 voodoo_chilly +7
44,195 Bemis +6
29,985 doctorclu +5
27,205 roadrunner +4
26,345 atariron82 +3
25,535 jblenkle +2
25,455 NIKON +1