IGNORED

Interest Check - Desert Bus for Intellivision

freewheel

Interest Check - Desert Bus for Intellivision  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Desert Bus for Intellivision?

• Yes! CIB all the way!
    • Sure! Loose cart please!
    • I'd probably buy a ROM copy.
    • No way, this is the worst game idea ever.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I don't know specifically how freeweed's going to do it in IntyBASIC.

I know how I would do it: The Intellivision retrace interrupt is 60Hz (NTSC) or 50Hz (PAL/SECAM). IntyBASIC does keep a simple frame counter named FRAME that counts the number of ticks. It's a fairly simple matter to compare the current value of FRAME to the last one you saw and add that to your notion of 'elapsed time.'

Or, you could use the ON FRAME GOSUB that nanochess added to update a clock.

8 hours is 1728000 ticks (at 60Hz), so you'd need to split the elapsed time over a few variables. I personally would break it up into hours, minutes, seconds as byte variables. Something like this:

UpdateTime 

As long as that gets called periodically (at least once every 60 frames), it will keep time just fine.

And you can use the NTSC flag to check whether every second there are 60 or 50 frames.

• Like 1

At first blush as someone who likes to buy all the new games as they come out this one is really hard to get excited about. It seems to set the bar low for the future and one of the reasons I like the current crop of homebrews is the they are very good games and in many cases rivaled and exceeded what the BSR's did back in the day.

That being said if it had a decent second mode (or multicart) then I would probably be more excited. The charity angle is an interesting one, as I am a sucker when I hear it is "for the children". :D

Make only 25 limited edition CIB's. Sell only one per month via ebay open auction. Sit back and enjoy huge earnings, while watching people fight over the worst game ever made. Would be fun, you might get some hatemail over it, but really a needed step and the final nail in the coffin to make desert bus the most frusterating and hated game ever!!

• Like 2

Sure, I would like to see more on this cartridge if this game is poorly designed or barely playable. I know nothing about the game or game play at this point....

But if I know that it is for a charitable cause that helps a lot. As would it help being serial numbered from 1-100. If it is in a nice box as well I am in at $100. or more per game. I think that is a great price point for this.

Sorry anyone if I posted too high for this this. If we had serial numbered games for all new releases from now on I believe we would all be better off! :thumbsup:

Sure, I would like to see more on this cartridge if this game is poorly designed or barely playable. I know nothing about the game or game play at this point....

But if I know that it is for a charitable cause that helps a lot. As would it help being serial numbered from 1-100. If it is in a nice box as well I am in at $100. or more per game. I think that is a great price point for this.

Sorry anyone if I posted too high for this this. If we had serial numbered games for all new releases from now on I believe we would all be better off! :thumbsup:

To "get" the game's idea, one needs to read up on its history, including the recent Atari VCS version and especially the Desert Bus for Hope charity.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_%26_Teller%27s_Smoke_and_Mirrors

Care to elaborate on the serial number thing? How would we be all be better off?

How about a 128 -byte- passcode that has been base64 encoded?

That would barely fit on the screen... But at 171 characters, it would fit.

But isn't endurance the point of the game? A passcode wouldn't be in the spirit of the... erm... adventure.

Even more annoying for those who want to find everything: Suppose you put an Easter egg in the game that you could only unlock by driving to the right 'time' in the game and hitting a key. Use the author's birth month as the 'hours' and birth day as the 'minutes.' To make it super annoying, require the player to hit whatever key for the 'egg' in a short window of time during the 'magic minute.' For my DOB, you'd have to be almost 8 and a half hours in...

That may actually be a more obnoxious Easter egg than the Vectron Easter egg!

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

How about a game where you have to type in the digits for the square-root of pi (pi itself is too easy to download)? Stored in BCD format and using some ECS-style bankswapping, 512KB of ROM could hold over 1 million digits. This would activate an Easter Egg that says "yay."

Even better would be to use FBCD, which could hold ~1.26 million digits.

• Like 1

To "get" the game's idea, one needs to read up on its history, including the recent Atari VCS version and especially the Desert Bus for Hope charity.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_%26_Teller%27s_Smoke_and_Mirrors

Care to elaborate on the serial number thing? How would we be all be better off?

Thank you for the info, I just read the History now I understand the game! I think I can do that for 8 hours, at least once.

As for numbered releases I just feel it is better for everyone to know how many were produced, that's it! And that goes not just for this game but any Homebrew game, and again that is only this one persons opinion. :)

How about a game where you have to type in the digits for the square-root of pi (pi itself is too easy to download)? Stored in BCD format and using some ECS-style bankswapping, 512KB of ROM could hold over 1 million digits. This would activate an Easter Egg that says "yay."

Even better would be to use FBCD, which could hold ~1.26 million digits.

That would rival Vectron's "Congratulations. You are very good." screen, which, AFAIK is unachievable because the game gets unplayably hard long before level 99. (I do have a ROM that starts you at level 99; I can't remember if Mike Hayes managed to beat it.) Already its Easter egg takes the cake for difficulty.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

That would rival Vectron's "Congratulations. You are very good." screen, which, AFAIK is unachievable because the game gets unplayably hard long before level 99. (I do have a ROM that starts you at level 99; I can't remember if Mike Hayes managed to beat it.) Already its Easter egg takes the cake for difficulty.

Huh. Desert Bus (the original) maxes the score at 99 points. And you get one point for every 8 hours of driving. So if you're willing to play for 33 straight days, you can "finish" the game. As far as I know, it's never been done. I bet it's an amazing Easter Egg though!

The number was a neat coincidence.

Edited by freeweed

Huh. Desert Bus (the original) maxes the score at 99 points. And you get one point for every 8 hours of driving. So if you're willing to play for 33 straight days, you can "finish" the game. As far as I know, it's never been done. I bet it's an amazing Easter Egg though!

The number was a neat coincidence.

A bunch of us should tag team drive the bus at an Expo somewhere to finish the game! ;-)