IGNORED

800XL colors went bad during SuperVideo 2.1 upgrade

redman

Hello All,

I've done the Supervideo 2.1 upgrade about 5 times now on 800XL's and I've always had great results.

http://www.wolfpup.net/atarimods/supervid.html

This time I finished the Version 2.0 part and everything looked good. I should have stopped at that point. After I finished the 2.1 part, all the colors were messed up. They look like pastels. The 2.1 part is only 4 easy steps so I removed them. The colors stayed the same. I've checked for shorts, removed the 1K resistor from C55, and desoldered and resoldered all the joints. I attached a zip file with pictures from Pole Position taken from a Sony Trinitron 27 inch crt. The picture still looks sharp but the colors don't. I tryed adjusting the color pot but that doesn't help - colors change but not the right way. I hope someone has an idea of what could have gone wrong. The pictures didn't come out too good but you can see the color mismatches.

Step by step for 2.1:

1 - I installed a new 2.2 ohm to replace the inductor L5. Voltages check out.

2 - First I replaced C50 with a 220 mfd. Removed it and replaced with a 100 mfd just to see if it was the cause. No change.

3 - Replaced R52 with a 2700 ohm resistor. Removed and put back a 2000 ohm. No change.

4 - Installed a 1K resistor where instructed to. Removed it for testing. No change.

I must have screwed something up but I don't know where to look. Thanks for listening. I hope someone has an idea of how to fix this.

redman

BadColors.zip

To me it looks a bit like the colour is overdriven and drowning out the luma.

I had problems with an 800XL video mod as well (probably that one). My fix was to reconnect a diode.

For you I'd suggest try backing off one at a time anything that boosts colour. Of course with this stuff it's much easier if you have the components to be able to go back to what it was each way.

Thanks Rybags,

I'll try upping the resistance of the 2.2 ohm and see what happens. It should be one the last 4 steps of the upgrade because the video looked fantastic after the end of the 2.0 process.

redman