IGNORED

In Defense of Double Dragon: The E.T. of 2600 Fighting Games

mikey.shake

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like adding something more.

Since the first post I made in this thread I've been able to play the C64 versions of Double Dragon. (There were two.)

Maybe it's just rose colored glasses and nostalgia because I owned it as a kid, but as bad as anyone might say the 2600 version is, I think it's better than these two!!!

The C64 may have better graphics/music, but the game play is horrible.

You think the AI in the VCS port is relentless, heh...

Not just that, but the controls (despite the fact you still use a one button stick) are somehow so much worse in comparison.

The hit detection, forget about it.

And I can't remember which version, but in one, every time I PUNCHED a guy he fell down, and I'd have to wait for him to get back up, but be far away, otherwise he'd always land a free hit while getting to his feet... well, beating the first 2 enemies took me about 5 minutes. I probably could have beat the first level in that one with enough patience, but jeez, I imagine beating the game would easily take many hours, especially considering (I assume) that enemies get even more health as the levels progress.

I could go on, I love the Double Dragon series, and all I've ever been able to find out about these games over the years were short take reviews, a few short vids, screenshots to judge them by. Then actually being able to play them... such a letdown. I also had a C64 growing up and it DID have some pretty great ports of games of the time... DK Jr, Mario Bros, Spyhunter, Skramble... Hell, even Castlevania (which I never played as a kid but also recently tried) is, well... it's, its... its what I said about the VCS DD, it IS what it IS!, but I'm getting off topic!

I always assumed these versions of Double Dragon (or hell even just one!) must at least be decent, at least a hair above the VCS version. I think I've even conned myself in liking a few shit games in the past just because I always assumed they were so good, I couldn't let my actual experience destroy my fantasy... but not this time...

Nope, suddenly I had a LOT more appreciation for DD on VCS!

Edited by Torr