IGNORED

KC Munchkin Returns!

Maybe I should have posted this in the Modern Gaming forum, but it involves a classic character so I put it here. :)Ed Averett, the man behind fully half of the original Odyssey2 games and "father" of KC Munchkin, has asked me to spread the word about his all-new game featuring our favorite blue hero! (Ed owns the rights to the character so this is a 100% official outing.) "KC Returns!" is currently available for Windows 8 through the Microsoft Store. Ed is also working on a Windows 10 version.

kc-returns-350.jpg screen-2-350.jpg

In this adventure, KC arrives in a new, rarely seen world -- the world of the microscopic -- in a maze constructed of atoms. The mission is to rebuild a broken strand of DNA. To accomplish it, KC must energize each atom so that it will move off the playfield into the structure of a DNA base pair, displayed on the right side of the screen. With this game, Ed hopes to use the KC character to unveil (in a fun way) the largely unseen world of atoms, DNA strands and the like, to increase its visibility and players' understanding of it.

In advance of the game's press kit becoming available, Ed provided The Odyssey2 Homepage this introduction to the game. Once you've read up on it, head over to the game's official site, kcmunchkin.com, to watch gameplay videos and read an introduction directly from the game's star. Then visit the Microsoft Store to download it!

Ed has asked for comments on the game, "no matter how brutal" as he put it, so be sure to send your feedback after playing.

• Like 3

I agree, Windows seems like a strange choice but it's kind of inevitable when you realize that Ed's wife Linda is a Microsoft VP who (among other things) helped design Windows 7, and his son also works at Microsoft. :)

I'm not sure what he intends to do about other platforms at this point. One of the first things he told me was that he realized Apple and Android owned the apps market, and he said he had "a plan" but didn't elaborate. Guess we'll just have to watch and see.

If I understand correctly, nearly 35 years ago the original K.C. Munchkin was an Odyssey^2 exclusive, so if you saw it for more than being a Pac-Man inspired maze game, you had to get the right console to play it, an Atari 2600, Intellivision or TI-99/4A wouldn't run it. In a similar fashion, I can see if KC Returns becomes a Windows exclusive, in particular if it can be played on Windows Phone associated devices that may not have as many game apps as the Android and iOS.

I hope there are plans to release this to other platforms. Android and iOS versions would give the game more exposure. In this day, limiting to any one platform makes little sense.

True, but limiting it to one platform give it an even more retro feel. :)