IGNORED

Star Trek or Star Wars?

Shawn

Star Trek or Star Wars?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek or Star Wars?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Star Wars but with a qualification - I'm referring only to the original 1977 movie, and comparing it only to the original Star Trek TV series. Star Wars had an incredible impact on my (then) young and impressionable mind. I grew up watching Star Trek on TV, and it's still fun to revisit the original series, but I hold it in the same regard as other TV series of that era. Star Wars transformed science fiction and the entire movie industry. Its impact is unparalleled.

If we're talking about them both as complete intellectual properties including all movies and TV series combined (Star Wars has had multiple animated TV series) I'd give the advantage to Star Trek. In terms of the sheer quantity of TV episodes, there are more good stories and characters there, and far fewer stinkers (although Star Trek certainly has its fair share).

• Like 2

Star Wars for me all the way. I'm bad ADHD and could never sit through a Star Trek episode as a child. Even my mom lost interest after the original series. I still can't sit through them today but I love Star Wars since the remasters came out in theaters when I was a teenager. Can't get enough light-saber fights. Star Trek had boring teleportation. Whoppie-doo. The Star Wars prequels don't bother me either but I think Disney / JJ Abrams extending the series without Lucas' blessing is blasphemy. Story was finished at the end of Episode six. Jedi won. Sith destroyed. Good triumphed over evil. It's just as assinine as if someone not named Peter Jackson tried to extend LOTR with an extra trilogy of sequels after Frodo leaves bagend on the boat.

Edited by stardust4ever

I think Disney / JJ Abrams extending the series without Lucas' blessing is blasphemy. Story was finished at the end of Episode six. Jedi won. Sith destroyed. Good triumphed over evil. It's just as assinine as if someone not named Peter Jackson tried to extend LOTR with an extra trilogy of sequels after Frodo leaves bagend on the boat.

You know Lucas himself had treatments for 7,8 and 9 right? He might have made them himself if Disney didn't throw 4 billion bucks in his lap because I guarantee you, 4 billion dollars buys a hellavu lot of "blessing". Frankly, if his ideas were as bad as the prequels, I'm glad Disney didn't use them.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-George-Lucas-Star-Wars-7-Ideas-Were-Used-By-Disney-69271.html

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

Frankly, if his ideas were as bad as the prequels, I'm glad Disney didn't use them.

Yep. Lucas lowered the bar as far as it will go with the prequels. Abrams has got it easy. He'd have to have 90 minutes of monkeys force-flinging their poo to screw this up.

• Like 3

The Space Hippies episode vs. Phantom Menace. Tough call. I'd still watch the Space Hippies.

Well done, and you didn't even need to break out the Star Wars Holiday Special. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3B18gAJyc

I enjoy Star Wars and Star Trek with different parts of my brain. The original SW trillogy featured great storytelling that appeals to my right brain, mostly thanks to Lucas consciously using the hero's journey as a blueprint. Most of the Trek series is more left brain for me; some great stories in the best shows too, for sure, but also equal parts ideals (e.g. IDIC) and moral delemna (e.g. prime directive).

So if I have to choose, it's Trek. Luckily I don't have to choose.

• Like 1

We really need a new Star Trek TV series.

The CW is in talks to get a new series going. A few years ago there was talk about a Captain Worf series but how much of that was just Mr. Dorn talking up a storm looking for a new job I don't know.

• Like 1

;-) Yeah, I'd have to 'Go With'..."Star Trek!!"..."I was brought up with it ...way back in the 60's!" The 'Chemistry' of "Trek"...was so 'Good' and 'Fun'...especially with..."Kirk, Spock, McCoy & Scotty and All on the Show!!" The 'Stories were Good', too! I also liked 'TNG', 'Voyager' an' even: 'Enterprise'...as well as "All of the "Star Trek Movies!!!" ;-) ...Even the 2 newer Movies by J.J. Abrams! (Yeah, I kno' there's 'contrasting contradictions' in those newer Films...'such as'..."Spock" and "Lt. Uhura" having "Romantic Themes"...and "Spock's Mom" 'dying' and his whole planet, "Vulcan" 'being annihilated!!' "That was "More than Surprising!!"..."Go Figure!!?" "I still liked and enjoyed those 2 newer Films, tho'!...My Son, "Jesse" Prefers "Star Trek" over "Star Wars" as well!! We've watched an' enjoyed watching "Star Trek" together...'through the years!!!'..."Don't get me wrong, tho' "..."I do like "Star Wars"...and have "Watched them Movies" as well! I'm pretty sure my Son likes them too!..."We jus' like "Star Trek"...Better!!!!" -{and just as a 'side-note'..."I prefer "Trekker"...over "Trekkie!!"} 'ha! ha!' :P :thumbsup: ;-) :)

A 'trekker' is just someone who goes on a 'trek'. Any trek. A 'trekkie' is someone who is nuts about something to do with a particular trek, possible a five year one to seek out new life, new civilizations, or perhaps to 'boldly' go where no he/she/it/man/woman/one has gone...befooooooooore.

I'm a Trekkie. I don't walk much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Star Trek 2 and Empire Strikes Back are two of the best sequels put out for any movie franchise.

This is tough...

I'll have to go with Star Wars based on the toys. The X-wing fighter and kid sized laser pistol had to be the coolest plastic put out in the '80s.

Based on the toys, I'd say that Star Wars totally blows away pretty much everything else in the known world! They have all scales, detail levels, action oriented, model-esque detailed (and models, of course), super deformed, super articulated..old and new! I LOVE Star Wars toys! The stop motion I do with toys makes Star Wars fit perfectly into my stories. They even have the strongest Lego presence of any character franchise! There are a lot of Star Trek toys, too, but I don't think they have nearly the moichandising presence of SW. Good point!

Moichandising..where the REAL money from the movie is made!!!

• Like 2

Wha.. you saying the Spock Helmet doesn't rule over all? :(

star-trek-spock-helmet.jpg

So is that toy kinda like a play on the episode "Spock's Brain" I guess? Really cool for sure. I would have worn it riding my bike. Oh hell, let's be honest, I would have worn it everywhere. :grin: