IGNORED

"windows" in Basic

gozar

Hello, MrFish.

Please, look at this video

from 0:53 point.

It shows some GUI which can be adopted for Atari pseudographics in simple manner.

It's a some kind of breadcrumbs interface.

I want to say that we even need not fully blown TUI.

I think it can be used in fullscreen mode and if crumbs data lays in file on ramdisk or HD we get almost instant reaction.

we need only top and bottom fields, inverse string, showing selection TAB for swapping fields and standard control keys...

Best wishes from Moscow

ez

post-20208-0-06297400-1491988255_thumb.png

Please, look at this video: [YouTube Video]

It shows some GUI which can be adopted for Atari pseudographics in simple manner.

It's a some kind of breadcrumbs interface.

I want to say that we even need not fully blown TUI.

I think it can be used in fullscreen mode and if crumbs data lays in file on ramdisk or HD we get almost instant reaction.

we need only top and bottom fields, inverse string, showing selection TAB for swapping fields and standard control keys...

Hi 576XE,

Seems pretty minimalist -- although not text mode. Don't forget to add the running man. :lolblue:

MF

Oh, GOD!!!

I know that FJC and you are in the cut edge of investigations!!!

It's unbeleivable at all!

My Doughter has the cultural shock when she saw old Alan's Diamond Desktop in action, but your attempts are much more serious!

I hope you are in the right way!

But the way of not expanded Atari is not the same. Isn't it?

My doughter loves Atari but can not run Atari in normal manner at all. (May be me too...)

I'll trying to explain her the primitive Zen...

I only think that my life time can not be so tremendows. :)

And GOOD LUCK you and fjc of course!

:)

Oh, GOD!!!

I know that FJC and you are in the cut edge of investigations!!!

It's unbeleivable at all!

My Doughter has the cultural shock when she saw old Alan's Diamond Desktop in action, but your attempts are much more serious!

I hope you are in the right way!

But the way of not expanded Atari is not the same. Isn't it?

My doughter loves Atari but can not run Atari in normal manner at all. (May be me too...)

I'll trying to explain her the primitive Zen...

I only think that my life time can not be so tremendows.

And GOOD LUCK you and fjc of course!

I think you misunderstand me. I'm speaking about FJC's Text User Interface (not the graphical user interface that uses bitmapped graphics, which has now grown into a full multi-tasking operating system). He used it mainly on his flashing programs for various types of hardware and APT tools. I think he also put it to use for the VBXE test/beta version of the Last Word, which uses the 80 column mode particular to that piece of hardware. I believe he went through the trouble of making it fairly abstract, so he could use it easily for new application/utility development.

I'm not sure if he ever published any of the sources or information about it publicly. But we spoke about it often while it was in development, and it's quite a complete system/API.

Your daughter should be able to do well with some of the modern plug-and-play interfaces, eh? Just fill it full of files, select, push the joystick button, and go.

Yes, I saw his TUI and used it while creating partitions on IDEPlus 2.0 :)

Very responsive and elegant.

But FJC don't want to publish this great work.

I think TUI may stay very impressive breakthrough, because I hate number/literal menues.

:)

It's lack of time preventing me from cleaning up the TUI so it's fit for public consumption and use. Believe me, if I had time to do that, the file system drivers for the GOS would be done already. :) I feel pretty bad about the TUI as well, because I was asked about making it public more than a year ago and have done nothing about it. I can't make any promises, but it's on the to-do list.

• Like 2

It's lack of time preventing me from cleaning up the TUI so it's fit for public consumption and use. Believe me, if I had time to do that, the file system drivers for the GOS would be done already. :) I feel pretty bad about the TUI as well, because I was asked about making it public more than a year ago and have done nothing about it. I can't make any promises, but it's on the to-do list.

Perhaps, someone else with more time can clean it up, so that you can concentrate on GOS?

Edited by JoSch

Perhaps, someone else with more time can clean it up, so that you can concentrate on GOS?

Definitely, but I'd at least want to present that someone with something sufficiently well commented that I don't spend more time answering their questions about how it works than I would have packaging up the library in the first place. :)

• Like 2

Hello FJC!

I think that your manner of programming is very strightforward and clean.

It is also directed to users in every step.

The results at every turn are very impressive.

I prefere your work even before Konrad's robust work. :?

I love his professional and thorough work too, but IMHO he works for ATARI and you and MrFish work for users. :)

You may be assured that there are at least one venerator of your and Konrad's work here in Russia.

We all, the Atarians, have endless patience but still limited life... :skull:

I really know that you are very responsive man and I'm not in hurry now at all.

They congratulated me on Christmas by dismissing me from work at 17/12/28. Nice boys! :mad:

I've worked for this Bank for 17 years as Head of SWIFT Dept. :-D Thus IBM AIX and SMIT/SMITTY

And now I've RETURNed to Atari, my everlasting love!

Best wishes from Moscow Bear!

ez

FJC your' list of what to do is so long that I think it's time to employ the cat to manage your time! I think you've buried yourself and it's hard to remember which platter is spinning *reference to plattermania". Of course I am still fully willing to add to the pile!

The ultimate cart looks at the .car header to config itself.. I wish it would just look at the extender of the image loading to do so... using the banking number type that is contained in the .car header. that way unmodified rom images can be run and just renaming it rommname.r01 or rommname.r13 would be needed. easy peasy on the Atari.. I get annoyed firing up WINTEL all the time to do Atari stuff. Maybe all the fine WINTEL utils could become Atari Utils... no reason we should have to rely on a WINTEL box for everything.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 month later...

Could be, don't know.

this can be true, I'm pretty sure I've found window.obj somewhere and used it from Turbo-Basic. When I switched over to ACTION!, I've made the ACTION! glue code, but never used it, as in ACTION! it is just simple to write own windowing routines.

-- CS

• Like 1