IGNORED

Super Mario All-Stars NES (SMB NES Quadrilogy Hack + SRAM_infidelity) [R25]

This was released recently, and here's the revision just released today. This will probably go down as one of my favorite "demakes", and is an instant classic to me. Awesome sauce job from infidelity, who also released the very impressive The Legend Of Zelda hack: The Legend Of Link, late last year.

I tested the game on Nestopia v1.40u6 Mod, and it ran swell. I read that many other PC emus will run it too. I also tested the game on a few NES Android emus, and it ran swell as well.

Here's some of infinity's notes, not present in the ReadMe:

OK, so the sram is fully working! To delete one of the 4 save files, simply press SELECT. There will be no warning, no (are you sure?) warnings. Just simply press SELECT once, to delete a saved game.

All of the work done to this project, had no code taken from the SNES Super Mario All-Stars. All of the SRAM work in this project, was done from scratch by me.

And now to give you info on the 4 games.

Super Mario Bros.

The following functions are saved and restored...

1. Restart as either 1st or 2nd player, from when game was saved.

2. Power-Up State (small, big, fire)

3. # of lives

4. Current world & sub-level, (you save at 1-2, you start at 1-2, this also retains the individual world & sub-level for Luigi. Whoever is the furthest in the game, that world & sub-level # will be shown on the main menu, where you select one of 4 files)

5. Whether 1 or 2 player mode is active

6. Current high score

7. Mario & Luigi's current scores

8. Mario & Luigi's coins

9. Whether game has been defeated

When you start this game with a saved 2 player mode, and you last saved as Luigi, you will start as Luigi. But, during the title screen you will see Mario standing there. Once you press start, Luigi will be properly restored.

The Demo Mode has been disabled, once you reload a save game, just like the original SNES All-Stars does. Also vram writes to the number of players, and the removal of the Select button for the title screen, are other features when you reload a saved game.

END

Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan

The "L" in the example stands for (Luigi Game)

1. Power-Up State (small, big, fire)

2. Lives

3. World & Sub-level

4. Coins

5. High Score

6. Mario/Luigi Score

7. How many #-4 castles have been cleared

8. Whether you have access to worlds A-D

9. How many times you have beaten the game

Again just to inform, this game was originally an .fds to .nes conversion I found online. It lacked the proper title screen construction, and various other functions. I've studied the .fds version thoroughly, to get my version running identical to the .fds version. The flashing stars on the SMB2 logo are there & save. World 9 is here as well, AND, I've made it so you can save on World 9-1 through 9-4, and when you reload, you WILL start where you left off. Luigi's skidding physics have been restored, (thanks to ShaneM for informing me) and the red piranha plants & green spring boards have been restored, (again, thanks to ShaneM for informing me)

END

Super Mario Bros. 2 USA

1. Number of bars in life meter

2. World & sub-level

3. # of Lives

4. If first & second mushrooms have been pulled in saved level

5. If 1-up has been pulled in saved level

6. # of continues

7. Number of cherries obtained in saved level

8. Number of coins obtained in saved level

9. Number of big vegetables pulled in saved level

10. Number of levels finished as Mario, Princess Toadstool, Toad, Luigi

Nothing much to explain in further detail with this game. :-)
END

Super Mario Bros. 3
The "M" in the example stands for (Mario), it also means he is the player that will start first when you load the file.
The following functions are saved and restored... This goes for both Mario & Luigi...

1. Power-Up State (small, big, fire, raccoon, frog, tanooki, hammer)

2. Mario & Luigi's scores

3. Whether you saved last as Mario or Luigi

4. Current World

5. 1 or 2 player mode

6. Mario & Luigi's lives

7. Mario & Luigi's form when on world map

8. N-Card 3 byte next score registers

9. Whether you have unveiled the penny ship, white mushroom house, etc

10. Mario & Luigi's map positions, as well as previous map positions (like when you die, and you get skidded back to your previous last spot)

11. Mario & Luigi's level complete flags

12. Mario & Luigi's inventory

13. Mario & Luigi's stage cleared cards

14. Mario & Luigi's coins

15. All sprite map objects

16. All sprite x/y map object locations

17. All sprite map id's

18. Mario & Luigi's world map locations (example, world 2. If you saved at the castle in world 2, the game will load up that part of the world map, not the very beginning of the world where it says START. This goes for both Mario & Luigi!)

When you goto save, you can only save within an active stage, not during 2 2p battle, not in a toad house, not during a mini-game. Also, I've had to swap out the nametable when saving, with the 3rd nametable within the mmc5, to have it show a plain background, to not show the irq clipping within the status bar while saving. I don't know how to make it so this doesn't happen, but I need to backup all of those bytes. If you are moving fast then decide to pause, you might get a vram hiccup when the screen is drawing to the nametable when you exit the menu. :-/ $7DFCB, if you paste this "EAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEA" then you will notice the irq glitch when saving or saving and quiting.
END

Super Mario All-Stars NES_4-12-15 by -infidelity

17118913162_5955a01492_o.png16498014524_781231604e_o.png17120456425_7322ca0415_o.png

16932661328_f649444c9e_o.png16498014254_cc39bbe633_o.png16932908150_af9a51b4c1_o.png

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zbgsp5xbdi55aqi

• Like 3

Since I'm unable to edit my post (or figure out how to), I just wanted to post up that the previous upload isn't [R25]. It's actually the release from earlier today, notated as 04-12-2015 Release Take 2. Since then though, I've revisited the forum that the author (infinity) is hosting the hack, and he has just (HOT off the presses just!) released [R3 Final]. So here's the link for that:

Super Mario All-Stars NES (SMB, SMB2j, SMB2, SMB3 Hack + SRAM) [04-12-15-R3 Final]:

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f5qsved4vyrb0kv

Oh, and this time I also included the proper base ROM for this hack "Super Mario Bros. 3 (U) (PRG1) [!]", for those that like to patch ROMs themselves and whatnot. ;)

Edited by MadZiontist

Going to have to put this on PowerPak and play it.

Good luck with that, this hack is 2 megabytes in size and the PowerPak only has 1 megabyte of RAM for ROM. Considering that 384KB (SMB3) + 256KB (SMB2 USA) + 40KB (SMB1) + 80KB (SMB2) = 760KB. If the rest cannot fit within the remaining 264KB, then something is very wrong here.

While this is neat, I think I'd rather see Super Mario All-Stars backdated on the SuperNes.

Why have "backdated" versions of SMB on Super NES when you play the actual "backdated" versions on an NES? Unless you prefer the Super NES controllers...

Myself... I hate shoulder buttons. I like shoulder "triggers" like XBox and Dreamcast have... but even the XBoxes shoulder buttons bug me, and the XBoxes shoulder triggers have nowhere near enough pull distance as the Dreamcast's has, which draws away from being able to gauge just how far you've pulled them, in my opinion.

Why have "backdated" versions of SMB on Super NES when you play the actual "backdated" versions on an NES? Unless you prefer the Super NES controllers...

Why not?

I think it would be entertaining to see it backdated to a degree graphically. Leave the other changes alone, like the enhanced audio and save slots, except for fixing the brick physics in the first two games that improperly suck you up upwards to the space the brick occupied. Plus, I was never too crazy with the graphical makeover that Super Mario Bros. and its Japanese sequel saw, but enjoy the enhanced audio and save and level select functionality of the All-Stars version. So I could see myself actually loading such a thing up from time to time.

Besides the novelty of it, it would give me a reason to utilize it and I suspect the Powerpak and Everdrive would be able to accommodate a modified All-Stars rom image with ease. But this, while a well done effort, doesn't really bring anything too significant to the table. It's limited to emulators it appears, due to size constraints of the NES Everdrive and Powerpak (I'm not certain it's too large for the Everdrive, but assume so or someone would've mentioned it). And emulators already have robust save functionality in the form of save states.

What does this provide in your favorite NES emulator, that save states and automatically loading up where you left when you reload the game, doesn't already provide? Nothing else seems to have been added, like the world select functionality from All-Stars, that would contribute something that the emulator itself can't provide.

I'm afraid that by removing original hardware from the equation by being too large for the two popular NES flashcarts out there, rather limits the usefulness of this well done homebrew hack since that's where this save functionality could really be beneficial.

I'd rather see him split this up and return these to standalone games, if that would get the file size down enough to utilize these modifications on the real deal with an Everdrive or Powerpak.

Edited by Atariboy

Boy I wish this site had an "Unlike This" button.

In ALL seriousness... No offense... but I just can't take what you've said seriously. And If I DID take what you said seriously there's no emoticon that would do my face justice.

• Like 2

There's an unlike button, but you first must like a post if you want to dislike it. So I don't think that's quite what you had in mind. ;)

Other than you not caring at all about what I'd personally like to see, which is fine with me although it amuses me that it would evidently irritate someone else, what's so wrong with what I said? If someone wants 'Super Mario All-Stars' for the NES, someone can also want 'Super Mario All-Stars: NES Edition' for the SuperNes. What I'd personally spend more time with wasn't meant in the slightest to demean this effort. Fine to see no merit in what could come off as a nonsensical suggestion to some, but it didn't appear to just stop at that...

If I'm missing something obvious here with my assessment of this modification, which I did compliment several times, correct me. Does this provide something other than creating a save system, albeit a very well implemented one, to these four games? How can I enjoy this on my NES when it's too big for my Everdrive, where this functionality can bring something new to the table to enjoy the originals in an environment I currently can't save my games in?

Every homebrew NES emulator that can play this, already satisfies my saving needs. So while a well done effort, as-is, it's unfortunately not adding something new that I'd really use on the rare occasion I fool around with PC NES emulation.

That's not meant in the slightest as criticism.

Edited by Atariboy

Way to rain on the parade, AtariBoy. OP put a lot of work into this, being much more than just a typical multicart. While this would be awesome to play on a PowerPak or Everdrive, they both limits 512kb PRG and 512 CHR each. But no reason to hate on a project because of inadequacies of flash carts designed by other people.

• Like 1

There's no evidence that the original poster is the creator, nor did I rain on anyone's parade. He's simply rightfully enthusiastic about an impressive editing job that corrects the single negative, as many have seen it for many years, with the 8 bit originals in this beloved series.

I'm afraid I just don't utilize the original saving mechanics in any game when playing it via homebrew PC emulation. What's so awful about that, especially when I would love to be able to utilize these edits if there was a way to load them up on original hardware?

That's where this homebrew modification can really shine, in my eyes. So I'm hoping that Infidelity, the original creator of this, is working towards that goal.

I'm not certain it's too large for the Everdrive, but assume so or someone would've mentioned it.

Sadly, this means this is out of the question currently with the NES Everdrive. :(

"N8 supports 512K PRG + 512 CHR. Total rom size can be up to 1Mbyte. But some games may use only PRG memory, in this case limit 512K" - Krikzz

Edited by Atariboy

Hey y'all. I meant to post back up sooner, but had some login issues. I appreciate the sentiment, stardust4ever. I didn't take any offense to atariboy's crticisms of this hack (its base games was SMB3 btw).

Anyways, my reaction to ab's comments was more of hmm... I'm struggling to explain at the moment lol, but I had the same type of feeling about his comments as Torr did. Some people might look at Van Gogh's Starry Night, and come away saying "I don't get the appeal. I'd like it if it were a photo-realistic painting though". I'm not saying that he didn't acknowledge it's technical merits, cause he did. Some things he said were absolutely true. I guess the main part of his postings that I found baffling, was this part:

I'd rather see him split this up and return these to standalone games, if that would get the file size down enough to utilize these modifications on the real deal with an Everdrive or Powerpak.

To be fair, in a way, this hack is pointless. Then again, so is every other hack, and original video game ever created. So I guess it boils down to either you "get it", and like it, or you don't. Either way, there's nothing wrong with anybody's opinion of it. I love this piece of art from infidelity though, as I was really diggin' his previous hack, Zelda: The Legend Of Link.

I didn't take any offense to atariboy's crticisms of this hack

Just once more since my responses are still apparently being misconstrued, I don't have any problems with this hack, unless you count wanting an option to enjoy his work on the real deal as a criticism. I would think that would be a compliment, or at worse, constructive criticism. So please stop interpreting my responses in that manner as if I don't have any respect for his accomplishment, since it's not correct and is very much not appreciated.

What seems to really have bugged the two of you and which I'm still puzzled over, is my mention of how I'd love to see some work done with the remastering for the SuperNes as well. I'm not sure what was so awful with mentioning that this is neat and impressive that he was able to implement some of the enhancements from Super Mario All-Stars to the originals, but that in a somewhat similar vein, I would also love to see a talented homebrew programmer like this author tackle the remake as well. Especially since at least for myself, I was never completely satisfied with job that was done with Super Mario Bros. and the Japanese exclusive sequel in it.

Taking away most of the individual character for instance from the 'Lost Levels', by just borrowing the graphics from Super Mario Bros. which isn't how the Famicom original handled it at all and which just seems lazy now that we're more familiar with the source material than we were back in 1993. Or how suddenly the blocks are grass covered ground in the first two games, where as SMB2 & 3 stayed more faithful to the source material while still enhancing the graphics. Or implementing the e-Reader levels from the GBA port of the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 3 with a new World 9 composed of that material.

There's an awful lot of potential there for a talented programmer to take this one further, as well.

Edited by Atariboy

• 1 year later...

A new revision/update was just released recently (11-05-2016). I included the proper SMB3 ROM patched, the patch, the proper SMB3 ROM, a couple MMC5 converted SMB3 ROMs, and a readme/manual:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ejb91vuo88gg67b/

Thanks. It's a shame we can't run these new MMC5 mapper hacks on an Everdrive or PowerPak, and making repros to play on real hardware is prohibitively expensive since there's only three obscure Famicom games that support this configuration. I would love to try out the new Zelda and Mario MMC5 hacks sometime on my AVS.

I'm not convinced we'll see an MMC5 repro board any time soon, and if we do, the FPGA needed to emulate the chip will likely cost almost as much as an Everdrive.

• Like 2

This was released recently, and here's the revision just released today. This will probably go down as one of my favorite "demakes", and is an instant classic to me. Awesome sauce job from infidelity, who also released the very impressive The Legend Of Zelda hack: The Legend Of Link, late last year.

I tested the game on Nestopia v1.40u6 Mod, and it ran swell. I read that many other PC emus will run it too. I also tested the game on a few NES Android emus, and it ran swell as well.

Here's some of infinity's notes, not present in the ReadMe:

OK, so the sram is fully working! To delete one of the 4 save files, simply press SELECT. There will be no warning, no (are you sure?) warnings. Just simply press SELECT once, to delete a saved game.

All of the work done to this project, had no code taken from the SNES Super Mario All-Stars. All of the SRAM work in this project, was done from scratch by me.

And now to give you info on the 4 games.

Super Mario Bros.

1. Restart as either 1st or 2nd player, from when game was saved.

2. Power-Up State (small, big, fire)

3. # of lives

4. Current world & sub-level, (you save at 1-2, you start at 1-2, this also retains the individual world & sub-level for Luigi. Whoever is the furthest in the game, that world & sub-level # will be shown on the main menu, where you select one of 4 files)

5. Whether 1 or 2 player mode is active

6. Current high score

7. Mario & Luigi's current scores

8. Mario & Luigi's coins

9. Whether game has been defeated

When you start this game with a saved 2 player mode, and you last saved as Luigi, you will start as Luigi. But, during the title screen you will see Mario standing there. Once you press start, Luigi will be properly restored.

The Demo Mode has been disabled, once you reload a save game, just like the original SNES All-Stars does. Also vram writes to the number of players, and the removal of the Select button for the title screen, are other features when you reload a saved game.

END

The "L" in the example stands for (Luigi Game)

1. Power-Up State (small, big, fire)

2. Lives

3. World & Sub-level

4. Coins

5. High Score

6. Mario/Luigi Score

7. How many #-4 castles have been cleared

8. Whether you have access to worlds A-D

9. How many times you have beaten the game

Again just to inform, this game was originally an .fds to .nes conversion I found online. It lacked the proper title screen construction, and various other functions. I've studied the .fds version thoroughly, to get my version running identical to the .fds version. The flashing stars on the SMB2 logo are there & save. World 9 is here as well, AND, I've made it so you can save on World 9-1 through 9-4, and when you reload, you WILL start where you left off. Luigi's skidding physics have been restored, (thanks to ShaneM for informing me) and the red piranha plants & green spring boards have been restored, (again, thanks to ShaneM for informing me)

END

Super Mario Bros. 2 USA

1. Number of bars in life meter

2. World & sub-level

3. # of Lives

4. If first & second mushrooms have been pulled in saved level

5. If 1-up has been pulled in saved level

6. # of continues

7. Number of cherries obtained in saved level

8. Number of coins obtained in saved level

9. Number of big vegetables pulled in saved level

10. Number of levels finished as Mario, Princess Toadstool, Toad, Luigi

Nothing much to explain in further detail with this game. :-)

END

Super Mario Bros. 3

The "M" in the example stands for (Mario), it also means he is the player that will start first when you load the file.

The following functions are saved and restored... This goes for both Mario & Luigi...

1. Power-Up State (small, big, fire, raccoon, frog, tanooki, hammer)

2. Mario & Luigi's scores

3. Whether you saved last as Mario or Luigi

4. Current World

5. 1 or 2 player mode

6. Mario & Luigi's lives

7. Mario & Luigi's form when on world map

8. N-Card 3 byte next score registers

9. Whether you have unveiled the penny ship, white mushroom house, etc

10. Mario & Luigi's map positions, as well as previous map positions (like when you die, and you get skidded back to your previous last spot)

11. Mario & Luigi's level complete flags

12. Mario & Luigi's inventory

13. Mario & Luigi's stage cleared cards

14. Mario & Luigi's coins

15. All sprite map objects

16. All sprite x/y map object locations

17. All sprite map id's

18. Mario & Luigi's world map locations (example, world 2. If you saved at the castle in world 2, the game will load up that part of the world map, not the very beginning of the world where it says START. This goes for both Mario & Luigi!)

When you goto save, you can only save within an active stage, not during 2 2p battle, not in a toad house, not during a mini-game. Also, I've had to swap out the nametable when saving, with the 3rd nametable within the mmc5, to have it show a plain background, to not show the irq clipping within the status bar while saving. I don't know how to make it so this doesn't happen, but I need to backup all of those bytes. If you are moving fast then decide to pause, you might get a vram hiccup when the screen is drawing to the nametable when you exit the menu. :-/ $7DFCB, if you paste this "EAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEA" then you will notice the irq glitch when saving or saving and quiting.

END

Super Mario All-Stars NES_4-12-15 by -infidelity

17118913162_5955a01492_o.png16498014524_781231604e_o.png17120456425_7322ca0415_o.png

16932661328_f649444c9e_o.png16498014254_cc39bbe633_o.png16932908150_af9a51b4c1_o.png

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ejb91vuo88gg67b/

• Like 1

Thanks. It's a shame we can't run these new MMC5 mapper hacks on an Everdrive or PowerPak, and making repros to play on real hardware is prohibitively expensive since there's only three obscure Famicom games that support this configuration. I would love to try out the new Zelda and Mario MMC5 hacks sometime on my AVS.

I'm not convinced we'll see an MMC5 repro board any time soon, and if we do, the FPGA needed to emulate the chip will likely cost almost as much as an Everdrive.

You're welcome.Yeah I recently bought a toaster NES as well as an EverDrive. It does suck that the developers refuse to update the carts. They've been contacted by ROM devs, and asked to please update thye carts, but they refuse. It's absolute bollocks that they won't do that for their consumers.

I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to edit my posts. I have no clue if I'm missing something or not. But I put the new link for the update in my recent post announcing its release. It works fine for me to download. The .7z extracts after the download is complete. Not sure why you had that problem. I also put the new link up in my post which quoted my original one. That works fine too for me.

The limitation is the 512K of CHR and PRG ROM that the Everdrive N8 supports. You'd think they could just solder a bigger RAM chip to it, but there's other problems too (missing expansion audio).

There's an open-source MMC5 FPGA implementation but it's very limited. I can get it to show the title menu and select SMB1, but the graphics and levels come out wrong.

You're welcome.Yeah I recently bought a toaster NES as well as an EverDrive. It does suck that the developers refuse to update the carts. They've been contacted by ROM devs, and asked to please update thye carts, but they refuse. It's absolute bollocks that they won't do that for their consumers.

Everdrive and PowerPak have a maximum file size of 512kbytes of PRG and 512kbytes of CHR. Any ROM with larger PRG or CHR, regardless of mapper, will not load on any currently available flash carts. I think Action 52 is the lone exception; only about half the included games are playable on Powerpak. Also many MMC5 games that actually fit the memory limitations still don't run properly. The latest PowerPak and Everdrive mappers are largely incomplete and only allow Castlevania III to run bug free. Most other MMC5 games, hacks, or homebrews that fit within the PRG and CHR limitations don't run properly. I wish INL or someone would put out a proper MMC5 repro card. It could even use Kazzo programmer and flash chips removing the need for an EPROM burner.

Currently these oversize Mario and Zelda hacks require a rare MMC5 Famicom donor, of which there are exactly three obscure Famicom strategy games that use it. Then you need a converter card to fit it inside an NES shell and even cut the pull tab to allow the full PCB to fit. Currently it is a lot of work to make those.

• Like 1

Everdrive and PowerPak have a maximum file size of 512kbytes of PRG and 512kbytes of CHR. Any ROM with larger PRG or CHR, regardless of mapper, will not load on any currently available flash carts. I think Action 52 is the lone exception; only about half the included games are playable on Powerpak. Also many MMC5 games that actually fit the memory limitations still don't run properly. The latest PowerPak and Everdrive mappers are largely incomplete and only allow Castlevania III to run bug free. Most other MMC5 games, hacks, or homebrews that fit within the PRG and CHR limitations don't run properly. I wish INL or someone would put out a proper MMC5 repro card. It could even use Kazzo programmer and flash chips removing the need for an EPROM burner.

Currently these oversize Mario and Zelda hacks require a rare MMC5 Famicom donor, of which there are exactly three obscure Famicom strategy games that use it. Then you need a converter card to fit it inside an NES shell and even cut the pull tab to allow the full PCB to fit. Currently it is a lot of work to make those.

I only know of the Action 52 multi-cart. I googled for an "Action 52 NES flash cart"...no dice. I never knew of any NES flash carts other than the EverDrive and PowerPAK. It'd be nice to see one someday, that has the same compatibility as a good NES emulator.

I have a Kazzo. Got it a few months ago, with the intention of dumping a repro cart I own, of which there is currently no publicly available ROM. De nada. It's not quite as user friendly as the experience as ripping a CD or PS1 CD-ROM. I tried, but found the guide I used inadequate. Also the documentation that would help me get it done, lacking. I'm gonna see if there's a shot that the NES/Famicom ROM dumper, CAH4E3 http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/(check out the Fami Dumping Project hosted there especially), would be able to maybe walk me through it. He's already willing to dump it if I end up sending one of the two repro carts I own of the game.

Edited by MadZiontist