IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

So, I got bored last night and started working on the PC Engine Jamma. I now have 2 player simultaneous ability :) Had to do a lot of tracing and figuring and after many changes, it works. What threw me for a curve every time is it doesn't function without a credit. Quick testing with a controller hooked up instead of arcade controls, I would have everything ok, but when I would work off control panel, things didn't work. I woke up this morning and first thought I had was "hey idiot, put a credit in". After that, everything worked well. Can't find what triggers the need for a credit to bypass it. Debating on doing the Tennokoe 2. It would be nice to save games but with cheat codes or other codes, not sure it is a necessity. No turbo switches yet but I ordered a jamma rapidfire interface and am going to use that instead.

• Like 3

I was looking for some decent scan to reprint some labels for some TG16 games. I'm opting to just print them like a standard CD inlay so as to fit a standard CD jewel case, but I want the Spine to look authentic font and color wise and I'd like to use the pics/info from the back of the cardboard slipcover from the original TG16 jewelcases.

I found THIS particular picture for Keith Courage...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0363/6845/products/2a95a276d93e1cd05cf8a056bc03d7af_57e627d8-b093-48e3-912c-45fdf2e6ca5a.jpeg?v=1462103769

It's on a store site... do any more of these exist? It looks liek something created for a Universal Game Case or something...

Or.. I may still just make my own; if anyone can point me towards a good Turbo Grafx styled Font I'd be grateful. I've found a few that are close, but still no cigar.

I was looking for some decent scan to reprint some labels for some TG16 games. I'm opting to just print them like a standard CD inlay so as to fit a standard CD jewel case, but I want the Spine to look authentic font and color wise and I'd like to use the pics/info from the back of the cardboard slipcover from the original TG16 jewelcases.

I found THIS particular picture for Keith Courage...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0363/6845/products/2a95a276d93e1cd05cf8a056bc03d7af_57e627d8-b093-48e3-912c-45fdf2e6ca5a.jpeg?v=1462103769

It's on a store site... do any more of these exist? It looks liek something created for a Universal Game Case or something...

Or.. I may still just make my own; if anyone can point me towards a good Turbo Grafx styled Font I'd be grateful. I've found a few that are close, but still no cigar.

Sparky on the pcenginefx forums sells professional quality labels for every TurboChip, including all of the ones which never came with a jewel case.

Two print ads for Daimakaimura, one for the PC Engine SuperGrafx and one for the Sharp X68000 16-bit computer.

WOW. They look amazing Parallax. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Love the fine detailing on these printed ads. In fact, I always had a liking to Japanese box art and pretty much printed video game advertising material in general.

Not saying that the American versions aren't appealing, but I always had fond memories looking into my import stores growing up and viewing every design that was available. I use to ponder and say "why can't we have styles like this here in our country". :)

Nice job as always bro!

Anthony...

It's glorious on the SuperGrafx (I'd love to know how the X68000 version is). I have that system and the original card, but play it the most on the Retro Freak these days out of simple convenience.

Retro Freak has Supergrafx support? Wow. I have no idea how hard or not that is to accomplish but I am impressed they bothered. Or is it a loaded ROM kind of deal?

Retro Freak has Supergrafx support? Wow. I have no idea how hard or not that is to accomplish but I am impressed they bothered. Or is it a loaded ROM kind of deal?

Yes, and does it well natively either via cartridge or ROM. Let's see, top of my head it does NES/Famicom, SNES/SFami, Genesis/Mega Drive, PC Engine/TG-16/SuperGrafx, GB/GBC/GBA, and SG-1000/Mark III/SMS/GG. No complaints.

Yes, and does it well natively either via cartridge or ROM. Let's see, top of my head it does NES/Famicom, SNES/SFami, Genesis/Mega Drive, PC Engine/TG-16/SuperGrafx, GB/GBC/GBA, and SG-1000/Mark III/SMS/GG. No complaints.

Wow...so let's sayI was going to go tell my wife to order this thing as the xmas gift idea I still have not given her...do I need anything else? Looks like on Amazon you need to buy a NES to fami converter and an SD card?

Wow...so let's sayI was going to go tell my wife to order this thing as the xmas gift idea I still have not given her...do I need anything else? Looks like on Amazon you need to buy a NES to fami converter and an SD card?

I posted my review way back when on Armchair Arcade (along with some controllers I tried with it in separate reviews; note that several firmware updates later I've come across far fewer issues that I originally noted (check out the thread on AtariAge for additional info as well)): http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/?s=retro+freak

I like the deluxe model because it comes with the controller adapter. I don't care for the stock Retro Freak controller (which is also wired; my favorite current configuration is using an 8Bitdo SNES30 GamePad and Retro Receiver for SNES via the controller adapter unit for wireless play).

Anyway, you don't REALLY need the NES to fami converter. The cartridge option is really just there if you want to play/rip your cartridges (there's also a separate converter available if you want to rip/use GG/SG-1000/Mark III cartridges). Otherwise, just stick a ROM on an SD card of what you want to play and go to town for any of the many supported systems.

So, short answer, yes, the stock system as-is has everything you need to get started (except microSD card up to 32GB in size) and if you don't like the stock controller and don't buy the version with the controller adapter, you can use most USB controllers in its place, including PS3 and PS4 controllers (both wired, though, since this doesn't have Bluetooth). It's best just to get it as-is and then decide if you want to expand it further later on per your preferences/needs.

Edited by BillLoguidice

It's glorious on the SuperGrafx (I'd love to know how the X68000 version is). I have that system and the original card, but play it the most on the Retro Freak these days out of simple convenience.

It's really nice.

(X68000, actual hardware)

(longplay, off-screen)

(longplay, capture)

(SuperGrafx)

• Like 4

I like the "tank" look of the Supergraphx. That thing's gotta be at least on par with Sega Genesis, if not exceed it. What if this had released in 1987? What if NEC had pushed the Supergrafx instead of SuperCD? In a way NEC kinda "pulled a Sega" by pushing competing upgrades. Even the Arcade CDROMs didn't fully support independent scrolling of background layers. I think more bankswitch carts like Super Street Fighter TE would have been amazing with hardware supported parallax backgrounds. The PCe version of SFII is my fav btw, even over the Genesis and SNES ports. I kinda wish they'd of made more big Hucard games...

From what I read, the NEC-Hudson team was not quite balanced. Notably, NEC main source of revenue from the PC-Engine was on hardware. It was therefore tempting for them to release a load of accessories and models to milk more money, especially on the CD-ROM add-on. Note that NEC's big reason to go into the PC-Egine adventure is that NEC desired to make the CD popular in Japan, and they guessed (right) that video games would be popular enough to boost sales and make prices drop down.

IMO, only because of the better overall care given to the games, and a more flexible architecture, the PC-Engine (especially with the CD add-on) is better than the Megadrive.

Raw power is hard to compare, but for the player, the PC-Engine usually deliver an excellent experience. Of course, the sound chip and the greater number of colors on screen alone make it looking better.

I guess that programmers might feel different about it, but excellent hardware can't do nothing without good games.

Electronic Gaming Monthly and Diehard Gamefan on Forgotten Worlds for PC-Engine Super CD.

HApCJ1R.jpg

51rXVvY.jpg

What's that last one? Diehard? That's a bullshit review. Sega version? It looks like a master system game. lack of 2 players is not a big deal, and the upgrades in the graphics and especially audio - make this a fantastic port. I played this when it was brand new, and thought it was awesome. Friends that owned Duos also thought the same thing.

• Like 1