IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

35 minutes ago, turboxray said:

Well, it's either 15hz/30hz or 15hz/7.5hz... I forgot which off hand (it's been a number of years since I looked at the schematic). It's whatever the tapped output pins are on the '163 to the buttons.

https://console5.com/wiki/File:PC-Engine---TG16-Controller-Schematic.png

Yeah, looks like 15hz/7.5hz

Okay. I was thinking that Takahashi Meijin was able to fire faster than the turbo controller with just his hand, as I think he was at 16 shots per second or something.

I definitely want to look into the PC Engine mini's turbo controller some more, though. I think it's interesting that they chose to increase the turbo speed so much on that thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I would recommend Military Madness to anybody who likes strategy games. I quite enjoyed it, though at times it can be difficult. The computer is no master strategist, but the computer always has the superiority in numbers and most of the time in terrain as well. The worst part is the luck factor seems to favor the computer more often than not.

If you're not burned out on the game yet, I'd recommend checking out the PSX Nectaris which has a bunch of new maps and is the closest in look to the TG16 one... although they turned the battles into ugly polygon ones. Thankfully you can turn them off completely which also makes the game go a lot faster. 

Neo Nectaris on the Turbo CD though should be the obvious choice as it's the direct sequel.. but for some reason it just never grabbed me. I think the music of the game is what turned me off about it, so much so that I ended up modifying an ISO of the game to insert the TG16 music. :lol: Still haven't played it through 100% though.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 7:53 AM, NE146 said:

If you're not burned out on the game yet, I'd recommend checking out the PSX Nectaris which has a bunch of new maps and is the closest in look to the TG16 one... although they turned the battles into ugly polygon ones. Thankfully you can turn them off completely which also makes the game go a lot faster. 

Neo Nectaris on the Turbo CD though should be the obvious choice as it's the direct sequel.. but for some reason it just never grabbed me. I think the music of the game is what turned me off about it, so much so that I ended up modifying an ISO of the game to insert the TG16 music. :lol: Still haven't played it through 100% though.

Well I do not have a TurboDuo nor a TurboGrafx-CD and I do not use emulation so Neo Nectaris is out. I do have a PlayStation 2 so I might try that one out someday assuming the game is not too expensive. I think I saw where the original was available on Xbox Live, I wonder if it is still available. I might want to check out the achievements.

I want to give Desert Commander on the NES a try. I have it, but never had a desire to play it until now. It probably will not be for a while though. I have quite a few other games in front of it in my queue.

• Like 1

You're not missing much I had Neo Nectaris a 3-4 years back when I was using a jP Duo and it did nothing for me, rarely got touched after I figured it wasn't that good, and sold it.

If you want something freely approachable though, I think they have translation patches, there are Nectaris games for Gameboy just a simple ROM(maybe patch) and emulation click away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like PC Engine Kyuukyoku Tiger has a secret exclusive weapon. Hold Select as you pick up the yellow weapon and the side shots will become homing shots. This sounds like it would break the game, but it's not that great since you'll likely hit the shot limit while the homing weapons seek and be unable to fire. Interesting, but probably not practical in some situations.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 1:40 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Last night I met Toyama Yuuichi. When I was talking to him, I asked him a question: of all of the games you've made, which one is the one you'd want (someone) to play the most? The answer = Spriggan mark2 on the PC Engine.

Wow, that's cool! Good question to ask, too. Was this at some kind of special event, or you just happened to see him grabbing a bite to eat somewhere?

50 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Wow, that's cool! Good question to ask, too. Was this at some kind of special event, or you just happened to see him grabbing a bite to eat somewhere?

Shooters Fes. Also met Namiki Manabu, composer of Battle Garegga and a huge amount of other games, and Horii Naoki, the CEO of M2, while I was there.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:40 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Last night I met Toyama Yuuichi. When I was talking to him, I asked him a question: of all of the games you've made, which one is the one you'd want (someone) to play the most? The answer = Spriggan mark2 on the PC Engine.

I don't really like Spriggan Mark 2 that much... I greatly prefer the first game but that is mostly because it's vertical instead of horizontal like Mark 2. Also the story doesn't happen during the levels so I can skip it as I can't understand what they're even saying.

1 minute ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I don't really like Spriggan Mark 2 that much... I greatly prefer the first game but that is mostly because it's vertical instead of horizontal like Mark 2. Also the story doesn't happen during the levels so I can skip it as I can't understand what they're even saying.

Lol the story is the reason that he told me to play it, as he wrote it.

There's always something new to discover on the PC Engine. GoetzenDiener seems a bit rough and buggy, but wow what an appealing looking game:

It's worth trying out even despite its flaws, especially if you like isometric graphics and puzzle/adventure games. The plot is kind of funny... you play as a princess that was kidnapped by the stereotypical evil demon lord, and hundreds of heroes come to save you, and they all die. The last one kills the demon lord. Then you break free and walk out through the carnage.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

There's always something new to discover on the PC Engine. GoetzenDiener seems a bit rough and buggy, but wow what an appealing looking game:

It's worth trying out even despite its flaws, especially if you like isometric graphics and puzzle/adventure games. The plot is kind of funny... you play as a princess that was kidnapped by the stereotypical evil demon lord, and hundreds of heroes come to save you, and they all die. The last one kills the demon lord. Then you break free and walk out through the carnage.

Added to my list to check out sometime.  Also, yeah, lots of different games to check out on the 'ole PCE that's for sure.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:51 AM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I have a beta translation patch for the game. Everything in game is translated. The cinemas need to be subtitled though.

• Like 1

Götzendiener may be one of the more fascinating things that Gainax has ever made. Speaking of TG-CD games, I admit to liking Cho Aniki since I bought it on the Wii Shopping Channel years ago.

The port of River City Ransom:

Makai Prince Dorabocchan aka Spike McFang:

Burning Angels:

The TV Show:

Fiend Hunter:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SlidellMan said:

The port of River City Ransom

The TV Show

Fiend Hunter

I always forget the first two exist. Fiend Hunter is new to me but it looks like a weird fusion of Prince of Persia, a fighting game, and Monster World IV. Very interesting. Seems like it might be hard to figure out, though…

2 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Götzendiener may be one of the more fascinating things that Gainax has ever made. Speaking of TG-CD games, I admit to liking Cho Aniki since I bought it on the Wii Shopping Channel years ago.

The port of River City Ransom:

Makai Prince Dorabocchan aka Spike McFang:

Burning Angels:

The TV Show:

Fiend Hunter:

More added to the list.  Need to get through Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony first, then I will transition back to game exploration again before taking on another RPG such as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the GBA or Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on the Genesis/Mega Drive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The fact that TWO Beach Boys furry games exist exclusively on the Turbografx still blows me away.

To be fair the Japanese PC Engine catered a lot to the otaku crowd with borderline hentai stuff, so maybe they thought its US counterpart would be the perfect home for furries. ;) 

• Haha 1