IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Interesting. I never looked much into that Ten no Koe 2 device after I realized it ran off AAs and had kind of a short shelf life on saves combined with the fact most TG games with saving use passwords. The kiss of death on that was my interest in the Super System SD3 device since it saves everything inside without the battery issue.

I just picked up a few games, lucky lot finds, but it cleaned me out some so that's on the back burner until people on ebay start buying things again. That confuses me as I put up a lot of stuff that's either cheap or desirable. I think I'd be happy with the everdrive though, but I know I'd miss the CDs and the save capability.

e0866c77d2004d47efb592160c4c71e8.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2373394

Wish it had storage for extra controllers. :( Oh, well, I wouldnt be able to use it with this anyway.

07bec660c49b51f81008f10574d0493b.jpg

After swapping the laser with an old Discman, tweaking the pots, buying some original discs, and making a compatible power supply from a thrift store PSU... MY BODY IS READY.

c2ec787e9719d8fafc46d2da0eb81f6f.jpg

No System Card though. I traded my Turbo Everdrive for the dock back in October and ordered a replacement from Krikzzs Black Friday sale in November but I still havent received it (two months shipping from Ukraine). With a patched BIOS it will function as a System Card.

My. Body. Yearns.

I bought one during the same period and it arrived last week. Not that I can get it to work though. I've been in contact with the support team and they want me to try a SanDisk card so that's what I'm trying out today.

Interesting. I never looked much into that Ten no Koe 2 device after I realized it ran off AAs and had kind of a short shelf life on saves combined with the fact most TG games with saving use passwords. The kiss of death on that was my interest in the Super System SD3 device since it saves everything inside without the battery issue.

I just picked up a few games, lucky lot finds, but it cleaned me out some so that's on the back burner until people on ebay start buying things again. That confuses me as I put up a lot of stuff that's either cheap or desirable. I think I'd be happy with the everdrive though, but I know I'd miss the CDs and the save capability.

Yeah. I had no idea the SSDSys3 was coming or I probably would not have bothered. At least I got off cheap with that dock and the “junk” PC Engine CD-ROM^2 drive. Because the standard PCE and North American TG16 are RF-only and all signals are accessible through the connector, AV/RGB modding the Ten No Koe 2 for them is pretty common. There’s a ton of room inside, especially if you dump the Ten No Koe 2 functions. The thing is, SSDSys3 already gives you a Gen/MD model 2 multi-out with RGB. Even if they don’t sort the RGB/Sync issues, it’s a better starting point for sure.

That said, you can replace the Ten No Koe 2 batteries without losing the saves but few would do this before the batteries die. How else do you know when to change them? ;) It’s intended to be used together with a Ten No Koe Bank HuCard, which functions a lot like a portable memory card. The Ten No Koe Bank can copy the saves off an IFU30 “briefcase unit,” an AV Booster Plus, a Turbo-CD Dock, a Ten No Koe 2, etc to make room for more saves or to transfer them to another console. Unlike the Ten No Koe 2, the Ten No Koe Bank does not have a user-replaceable battery and it isn’t going to be as easy to service as, say, an NES battery-backed game. The HuCard form factor means it has to be glued together even though it has a thicker profile than other cards. The other devices it can copy from mostly use super capacitors so that they can retain the save for a few weeks after powering off but those capacitors can fail too. Unless you play your PGE/TG16 regularly and you recently replaced the capacitors, I wouldn’t consider them any more reliable than the Ten No Koe 2.

SSDSys3, on the other hand, allows you to backup to non-volatile SD cards and copy to anything else, so absolutely zero concerns with save longevity there as long as you practice backing up your stuff. I’ve had plenty of SD card failures and unexplained file system corruption from stuff like this, so don’t take it for granted just because it’s saved to an SD card. Getting an existing save onto it can be a chore but no more of a chore than it was with original hardware: only one dockable device at a time with a Ten No Koe Bank required to transfer between them.

Getting a Turbo ED when you have a SSDSys3 would definitely be redundant unless you have other uses, like a Turbo Express/PC Engine GT or PC Engine Shuttle. Since I committed to the drive and ordered another TED just before the SSDSys3 was announced, I’m kinda annoyed that I’m still waiting on it. TWO MONTHS waiting on it and people are already receiving their alternative that wasn’t even announced until AFTER I ordered! I just keep telling myself that it made sense for the Turbo Express and as a System Card for the CD setup. It can do the original System Card 1.0 for the CD-ROM^2 version of Altered Beast, which happens to be one of the CD-ROM^2 titles I’ve already picked up (only one that requires it, IIRC).

Speaking of saves... does anyone know if Galaga '90 and other similar games where you can enter initials in a high score table can save in any way? I mean, what's the point if you can't save them? As soon as you turn off the system, they're gone.

Most password games will alternatively save to a Ten No Koe 2, Turbo-CD dock, or AV Booster Plus. Hi-score games might as well. NES hi-score games often did the initials thing too even with no battery-backed SRAM but since the Ten No Koe 2/AV Booster Plus/CD dock/IFU30 is already there, well, there’s no reason not to use it. Galaga ‘90 May be too early to utilize those since it’s really Galaga ‘88 in Japan but the IFU30 was available late in ‘88 (like, December). If it didn’t already support it then they may not have bothered to add it to the US version either, especially before the launch of the TurboCD.

I bought one during the same period and it arrived last week. Not that I can get it to work though. I've been in contact with the support team and they want me to try a SanDisk card so that's what I'm trying out today.

Talking about the Super SD System 3? I was already knee-deep in setting this up when it was announced on December 7th. :( If only they had not kept development a secret, I would’ve taken a very different path for sure! Oh well... I kinda needed another Turbo ED form my Turbo Express anyway (probably would’ve sold that to find the SSDSys3 otherwise).

I may not be able to play the Arcade Card games and things may load slower for me, but I already have a spare laser and there are a ton of possible donors out there so longevity isn’t a concern for me. If I can get a good deal on an SSDSys3 someday I’ll probably get one but I’d rather put the money into other accessories and some original games for now. :) If I ever get a SuperGrafx then I’ll definitely get the SSDSys3.

Hope you can get your SD card issues sorted. Some Everdrives have been known to be picky about particular SD cards too. Same issue with Nintendo DS flash cards a while back.

That's some good info on the backup device. I never dug into it much. I did see they had no warning at all if the battery would choke so you'd almost have to set a phone calendar warning to swap them like every 4-6mo to be safe which is kind of annoying but doable.

I know having both the TED and SSC3 would be overkill, so it would be an either or. I just miss some CD games I had, but I'm being overwhelmed by the 3x larger and far less crappy Japanese line up on cards alone. I copied my all new list of ebay stuff on a couple boards so I'll get the $100~ I need back and then I can decide which device to order that would suit me best. If I go with the new toy, I've got the CDs I used to own more or less already downloaded and archived anyway. I'd just need to go buy a 32 or 64GB micro card is all. I don't intend to throw the entire disc library at it, total overkill.

And well that one ebay douche who refused to contact me or supply tracking, that package arrived today with tracking on it (I'll be leaving appropriate feedback for ignoring me and waiting to ship it.) I paid $50 shipped for CIB copies of 1943 Kai, SCI Special Criminal Investigation, and Out Run! :D

Woah, I didn't know you could use a Japanese CD-ROM with the US Turbo dock. Rad.

You can definitely save a little money that way but the Japanese CD-ROM^2 drives are just as problematic and a bit expensive in their own right. It’s hard enough to get a working Turbo-CD Dock that most would rather just order the whole PC Engine + IFU30 “briefcase unit” + CD-ROM^2 setup for around $300 (a little cheaper if you get “junk” repair/refurb it youself).

Mine was a later-produced unit so the gear that usually disintegrates was good on mine. Early gears were once white but are now yellow. Replaced ones are generally white. Late production ones are clear. My later one had a KSS-220A laser where earlier ones have a KSS-162A (they are interchangeable). Another difference is that the early ones might have a ground wire soldered to the bottom shell like all US Turbo-CD drives have (mine didn’t). I’ve recently been told by someone very experienced that the clear gear/late production versions generally don’t need capacitors replaced, unlike the earlier ones.

The disc wouldn’t spin but there was no adjustment guide for the pots so I replaced the KSS-220A with one from a working Sony Discman first (Discman D-180K uses the same KSS-220A). That didn’t do anything so my original laser is a presumably good spare. I had to tweak the pots to get it to spin the disc and tweak them more to get it to play an audio CD correctly. Very frustrating because there isn’t an adjustment guide specific to this drive like there is for the Super CD-ROM^2 and the Duos so I had to start all over numerous times and blew a whole day on it. Pro tip: start with VR-102 if you don’t get disc spin. I’ve got it playing audio CDs well but no clue about retail games or CD-Rs until I get my replacement Turbo Everdrive to use as a System Card. I may yet have a dud.

That's some good info on the backup device. I never dug into it much. I did see they had no warning at all if the battery would choke so you'd almost have to set a phone calendar warning to swap them like every 4-6mo to be safe which is kind of annoying but doable.

I know having both the TED and SSC3 would be overkill, so it would be an either or. I just miss some CD games I had, but I'm being overwhelmed by the 3x larger and far less crappy Japanese line up on cards alone. I copied my all new list of ebay stuff on a couple boards so I'll get the $100~ I need back and then I can decide which device to order that would suit me best. If I go with the new toy, I've got the CDs I used to own more or less already downloaded and archived anyway. I'd just need to go buy a 32 or 64GB micro card is all. I don't intend to throw the entire disc library at it, total overkill.

And well that one ebay douche who refused to contact me or supply tracking, that package arrived today with tracking on it (I'll be leaving appropriate feedback for ignoring me and waiting to ship it.) I paid $50 shipped for CIB copies of 1943 Kai, SCI Special Criminal Investigation, and Out Run! [emoji3]

Nice! Really hoping I get my TED today. On my way home to check!

The PCEngineFX.com forums have some good lists of Japanese games that are playable without speaking English. Heck, they’ve got them sorted by being in English, predominantly in English, perfectly playable in Japanese without an understanding of Japanese, difficult without being able to understand Japanese, unplayable without being able to understand Japanese, etc. There’s plenty to play in those top three tiers. [emoji4]

Edited by CZroe

@CZroe

I was talking about an Everdrive. The new SD card didn't work and now I'm out of ideas. It keeps setting a 38 error. This means that OS.PCE can't be found. It's exactly where it should be though and I'm super frustrated at this point.

Probably a stupid question, but did you make sure the card clicked into the slot?

I had a problem last week where it wasn't reading my card. I had previously taken it out to load more games onto it, and it turns out I wasn't clicking it in all the way. Unlike some other Everdrives it's a spring loaded slot and I wasn't used to that. Had to use my finger nail to click it all the way in because of the positioning of the slot.

Probably a stupid question, but did you make sure the card clicked into the slot?

I had a problem last week where it wasn't reading my card. I had previously taken it out to load more games onto it, and it turns out I wasn't clicking it in all the way. Unlike some other Everdrives it's a spring loaded slot and I wasn't used to that. Had to use my finger nail to click it all the way in because of the positioning of the slot.

I'll take any suggestion at this point. It is fully engaged. If it's not plugged in then it will give a different error for SD card not found. I googled this problem and others have had the same issue with the TED specifically. I've tried all of their solutions and none of them have worked.

I'll take any suggestion at this point. It is fully engaged. If it's not plugged in then it will give a different error for SD card not found. I googled this problem and others have had the same issue with the TED specifically. I've tried all of their solutions and none of them have worked.

I seem to recall that there are two different sets of OS files for the new and old style TEDs. If yours is the latest version you may not be able to just dump the Smokemonster set on there and go. I don’t recall if you have to rename or move the OS files of choice but hopefully it’s something like that.

I seem to recall that there are two different sets of OS files for the new and old style TEDs. If yours is the latest version you may not be able to just dump the Smokemonster set on there and go. I dont recall if you have to rename or move the OS files of choice but hopefully its something like that.

Thank you for this post! It made me think about the file system differently and I was able to make it work.

I played through a round of Street Fighter 2. They did a really good job with it but as I expected playing with only 2 buttons isn't enough. Having to press Select to change in between punches and kicks kind of sucks.

I also played Mario bros. That was interesting to play on a different system. It was just a shame that the sounds were off.

• Like 1

Nice! Really hoping I get my TED today. On my way home to check!

The PCEngineFX.com forums have some good lists of Japanese games that are playable without speaking English. Heck, they’ve got them sorted by being in English, predominantly in English, perfectly playable in Japanese without an understanding of Japanese, difficult without being able to understand Japanese, unplayable without being able to understand Japanese, etc. There’s plenty to play in those top three tiers. [emoji4]

I'm signed up there, don't read/post there much as it isn't very busy. I didn't know they had that list so I guess I'll have to look for it. I don't intend to buy a lot of games. I've just had good luck with the original system coming with 3, and then 2 more lots with another 13 games between the two (minus two that are complete vs loose dupes I'll swap out.) I'm around 19-20 games once everything comes in so it just kind of worked out that way. I'm more for owning a kit but I don't ever mind owning a few real titles either because having some stake($ value) into a game makes me more willing to stick with it.

I'm signed up there, don't read/post there much as it isn't very busy. I didn't know they had that list so I guess I'll have to look for it. I don't intend to buy a lot of games. I've just had good luck with the original system coming with 3, and then 2 more lots with another 13 games between the two (minus two that are complete vs loose dupes I'll swap out.) I'm around 19-20 games once everything comes in so it just kind of worked out that way. I'm more for owning a kit but I don't ever mind owning a few real titles either because having some stake($ value) into a game makes me more willing to stick with it.

That’s exactly how I feel. I add to my library as I’m able and use other means in the mean time. I can usually wait for lucky deals. [emoji4] Even once an original copy is added to the collection, the convenience of a backup device cannot be understated. I used backup units this way for SNES/N64/GB even in the ‘90s, where I always preferred to have an original but used the units to explore and curate. I recall rushing out to preorder Super Smash Bros after playing a Japanese copy I downloaded from the library (brought home on multiple floppy discs). The Toys R Us clerk told me “No, we only preorder BIG games like Superman 64.” *facepalm*

Anyway, here’s that thread on PCFX:

Official PCE games that are 80-100% in english and no/little japanese required

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=74619&share_tid=14497&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epcenginefx%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D14497&share_type=t

Hopefully Tapatalk’s URL mangling doesn’t break it.

Thank you for this post! It made me think about the file system differently and I was able to make it work.

I played through a round of Street Fighter 2. They did a really good job with it but as I expected playing with only 2 buttons isn't enough. Having to press Select to change in between punches and kicks kind of sucks.

I also played Mario bros. That was interesting to play on a different system. It was just a shame that the sounds were off.

Awesome! There’s a lot to enjoy. My new TED hasn’t shown up yet but I did get my GBS8200 so I can finally test some NeoGeo MVS boards I have lying around. I ordered that five weeks ago! Guess I’m back on my other slow-moving project. [emoji4] Edited by CZroe

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=74619&share_tid=14497&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epcenginefx%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D14497&share_type=t

Hopefully Tapatalk’s URL mangling doesn’t break it.

It's not broken, but you need to be a member to see it. Is there a way to post the list here?

It's not broken, but you need to be a member to see it. Is there a way to post the list here?

Yeah, that was why I didn’t link it before he said he was signed up. The list is fairly large and full of Japanese text but I’ll read through to make sure they’re OK with me sharing it and try to make a copy.

That’s exactly how I feel. I add to my library as I’m able and use other means in the mean time. I can usually wait for lucky deals. [emoji4] Even once an original copy is added to the collection, the convenience of a backup device cannot be understated. I used backup units this way for SNES/N64/GB even in the ‘90s, where I always preferred to have an original but used the units to explore and curate. I recall rushing out to preorder Super Smash Bros after playing a Japanese copy I downloaded from the library (brought home on multiple floppy discs). The Toys R Us clerk told me “No, we only preorder BIG games like Superman 64.” *facepalm*

You know, that's basically really all there is to it. Scoop a deal really worthwhile, or just use other means. And even if you didn't mind the price, either the ED or the SS3 have a valued feature set. NEC screwed us hard in the US market probably worse than any other console maker in being ignorant and blind with releases being skipped leaving so little to play proportionately (especially of quality.) With BOTH devices you can now go through a pretty healthy sized list of many HuCards and some CDs that have had full english dropped into them and that's the only way to play it on the hardware now, the added bonus of the SS3 doing the discs too and having the battery backup saving the system (and HuCards due to size) lacks.

And well that one ebay douche who refused to contact me or supply tracking, that package arrived today with tracking on it (I'll be leaving appropriate feedback for ignoring me and waiting to ship it.) I paid $50 shipped for CIB copies of 1943 Kai, SCI Special Criminal Investigation, and Out Run! :D

You made out like a bandito. LMK if you want to flip it for a profit. :-D

I looked at this lot I think when it was only an auction..shoulda watched it longer!!

I realized it more today I was even luckier than I thought. I didn't know Out Run had such demand over most the other Sega HuCards. Seems quite a few like to ask and get 40 on Outrun, 1943 is like 75, and SCI the cheaper around 30 all complete.

I have another lot in the mail so it's safe to mention it now. $70 for 10 complete games: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-PC-Engine-Games-Bomberman-Dodgeball-Space-Harrier-Paranoia-US-Seller-/142661246869 The F1 game 50/50 is broken, but it's the dumper of the lot anyway. Bomberman and Dodgeball I already have loose, intend to sell my loose games which will get me $30 back against that bundle. If people can't read that it's Ganbare Golf Boys, Doraemon Nobita no Dorabian Nights, F1-Circus(broke?), Paranoia (Psychosis in US), Makyo Densetsu (Legendary Axe, values around $40 alone), Fire Pro Wrestling Combo Tag, Wonder Momo, Bomberman 93, and Space Harrier.

I also have in the next day or two loose copies of Yokai Dochuki+Detana Twinbee arriving from Hit-Japan for $25, and $15 for loose Gradius US/facebook.

There are others I'd grab but the price is going to have to be irresistible as I'm more after saving into that flash kit at this rate. The PCE just fascinates me so with the far richer library the US got denied.

It's a damn shame what didn't get brought over and what we got here in the U.S. Appalling really and if it has anything to do with licensing or other shit stained business "politics" between regions, goes to show how ugly that side of gaming is and can be. Whatever the case, the TG-16 never stood a chance with such a library. And to an outsider, seems it was purposely made so, when there were sooo many great titles just begging to be ported over. If ever there was an example of missed opportunities. :(

I'm not really into F1 games but I won't be sad if it's broken, but if it isn't and works that's fantastic enough to try. Wonder Momo is pretty bland, watched a play through, but it doesn't look awful either. Both of them were deals, but the smaller lot of 3 was like 2/3 off buying them individually so no complaints there. I mainly grabbed it just for 1943 as I played that rom to death in the 90s on Magic Engine, same reason I grabbed Super Dodgeball as it's awesome (Especially the added find the alien body snatcher mode.)

save2600 -- You're right. I've felt that way ever since owning the Duo so long ago and looking at all the Japanese CDs I ended up buying local or importing off TZD or early ebay. I think if the PC Engine market outside Japan ever deserved a theme song, to me Beastie Boys 'Sabotage' would be very fitting.

Edited by Tanooki

lol I've always been a huge fan of Military Madness on the TG16.. but was sort of disappointed in Neo Nectaris. It just seemed a lot more plodding and tedious, and I thought the music sucked to be honest. But then again, over the years since then I've tried the "new" Nectaris games on the PSX & XBLive and they all felt the same way. I should give Neo Nectaris another shot some time and at least get through the first 16 levels.

Edited by NE146