IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Well I hate that genre of game, yet that single original Nectaris I do like and played it a good bit on the Duo back then, but also that wonky Win9X release that flew under the radar. Sadly even when I can find a copy of it now, it won't work because of 64bit windows being picky about the installer if not the exe itself I forget. It was cool having that on windows for the mouse use. You get away from that game I can tolerate Ogre Battle on SNES, Advance Wars 1 (GBA) and that's more or less just about it. FFT/TA was alright but got tiresome more than annoying due to the RPG leveling on top of the core game.

I didn't know there was a second one, and yet there it is Neo Nectaris. Maybe I forgot, but that's TTI/NEC for you, crap peddlers who left most the good stuff greedily at home while only letting the neighbor kids play with the beat up left over yard toys.

Neo Nectaris was ported to iOS and Android back in 2010, but unfornunately no longer available in the US app stores.

I have it on an old iPhone, but can't get it to start cause of Apple ID issues...ugh...

Well I hate that genre of game, yet that single original Nectaris I do like and played it a good bit on the Duo back then, but also that wonky Win9X release that flew under the radar. Sadly even when I can find a copy of it now, it won't work because of 64bit windows being picky about the installer if not the exe itself I forget. It was cool having that on windows for the mouse use. You get away from that game I can tolerate Ogre Battle on SNES, Advance Wars 1 (GBA) and that's more or less just about it. FFT/TA was alright but got tiresome more than annoying due to the RPG leveling on top of the core game.

Advance Wars is ok..I've played and finished all of them, but I'm not a huge fan of the "fog of war" gameplay aspect. Ogre Battle is a little more complex lol. But yeah I'm a fan of all these types of games... Shining Force, FF Tactics, Advance Wars, Vandal Hearts, etc.. but Military Madness on the TG16 is one of my all time favorite. I simply like the "levelling-up" aspect of your individual forces within a single battle. :)

Re: Win version.. you talking about this? It's running fine on my 64-bit windows. I wonder if you have the right version. I can give it to you (or anyone else who wants it).. if they want. It's all of 932kb zipped :lol:

post-31-0-55280800-1516887714.jpg

<edit> forget it. I'll just do it, here it is :)

NECTARIS-.zip

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Dude! :D Thanks.

Yes that is the game. I so missed it, but the installer wouldn't ever work for me in Win 8 or 10 64bit and never could find a decompressed copy of the game as I knew it was 32bit and suspected it worked. I've hit this with many games I've come across, yet I have some that DO work just because the CD they come on will have the game decompressed already to play off it if you knew it was there. Full Tilt Pinball was like that I found a few months back, won't install with the lockout error, plays fine copying the directory.

A white whale I went for last year was this almost mythical release of the original Sim City Classic for Windows on ONE version of the game released on a CD. The game is a 16bit install and most are also 16bit runtimes. There was one release done that has the 16bit install but is a 32bit executable, and while the install won't work, the contents are on the CD and on that CD made invisible using the 'hidden' feature by the makers. It took me a few buys to track it down, but I ended up picking up the right release of the 'Maxis Collections 3' and now I can play it again. I've done crazy hacking, patching and mining for certain old games to get them going still with that, a version of the 10th anniv of C&C which was hackable to run and others.

I've looked for years on that one, just usually honor board rules around not begging for warez/roms so I didn't consider the possibility. :)

And in return I offer this, not as sketchy -- the remaster/update of Dragon's Curse: Dragons' Trap (aka Wonderboy 3) for Windows, privately made, original game, but with some slight modernizing tweaks and a challenge mode in there too. Sadly no one hosts it but one personal account a dude on smspower forums uploaded it to and it's a many many years old post that could go away whenever. I've been intending to make a website for it, kind of like the Faria Map I put out years ago in my web space. I should get on it.

Edited by Tanooki

Am I alone on this, or is the music not playing in Nectaris? I'm running 64bit 8.1 windows here. SFX are fine and the rest.

I'm tempted to find an easy to abuse hex editor and see about fixing that Japanese into english on those menus.

Today is a happy mail day. Detana!! Twinbee and Yokai Dochuki arrived. Twinbee has been as much a favorite almost as much as Super Dodgeball was in magic engine 20 years ago. To really own these is amazing.

Am I alone on this, or is the music not playing in Nectaris? I'm running 64bit 8.1 windows here. SFX are fine and the rest.

64-bit Win 8.1 here as well and sound is playing fine. All the music are the midi (.MID) files in the \Sound folder. Check em out. :)

Guys, I've been trying out this browser based emulator for Neo Nectaris

I didn't try very hard but I couldn't get that Neo Nectaris browser emulator to go on my first tries.. it just says "loading" on chrome or firefox. But that's fine.. I've tried the game plenty over the years. I'll try that RGR option you mentioned later.

On a separate note.. one thing I found is if you ever try playing a burned copy of Neo Nectaris on an actual Duo... I found 3 different ISO's of it floating on the internet and all exhibit this strange problem where you can't start the game from the beginning (it just kinda freezes before it plays the intro movie), but you can enter in the code for stage 1 or any other stage and it plays just fine that way. BUT, the iso's or burned discs play fine on emulators. Go figure.

And yes if I pop in a real Neo Nectaris CD it does not have this issue on my duo.. I'm kind of tempted to rip it myself and to try it out, to see if the iso's were just bad/weird rips. But that requires effort. :lol:

Edited by NE146

I know where they are, and they sound great when I click them since I'm running a wavetable synthesizer with some nice samples. But, in game, they don't play and I can't figure out why. Tried to select MIDI or sound blaster choice, made sure things are flipped on (are by default) but it's just silent on the music. I'd look at an INI file but there is none.

Japanese discs and disc hardware aren't region locked. The only part would be the system cards since they have to go into the slot. The back end both use the same external hookup port/pin array so it's all good.

That’s what I thought until this morning:

https://youtu.be/fTyZE9t96h4

It turns out that there are some Super CD-ROM² games that refuse to run on a North American TurboGrafx-CD Super System Card.

390bdf24634d346c540d30b21215ed88.jpg

...as if I needed another reason to avoid buying the ridiculously expensive TG-CD SSC!

Thank you for this post! It made me think about the file system differently and I was able to make it work.

I played through a round of Street Fighter 2. They did a really good job with it but as I expected playing with only 2 buttons isn't enough. Having to press Select to change in between punches and kicks kind of sucks.

I also played Mario bros. That was interesting to play on a different system. It was just a shame that the sounds were off.

Finally got my replacement TurboED last night...

a13f988027b767d90fb8daf26877fcf0.jpg

...barely. The paper envelope was so worn it felt like tissue paper. It was full of huge holes and completely unglued from the bubble liner. I could reach in both packages without even opening them!

This year’s TurboED has a thicker cover plate on top and a fancy box with foam insert that I didn’t get last time (BF2016). Something tells me that they added this box so that they could use a bubble mailer but the box is simply too nice to treat like that (few would be throwing it away). You don’t want your packing material to require further protection, and we all know how collectors feel about original boxes sent in bubble mailers. Not sure they were saving money when they just ended up sending them separately anyway.

The thicker cover plate makes it harder to press the menu button but it’s still nicer than anything I can 3D print. The BF2016 cover plate is definitely better than the BF2017/current cover plate but I’m happy.

That’s what I thought until this morning:

It turns out that there are some Super CD-ROM² games that refuse to run on a North American TurboGrafx-CD Super System Card.

390bdf24634d346c540d30b21215ed88.jpg

...as if I needed another reason to avoid buying the ridiculously expensive TG-CD SSC!

It's the opposite, you need to avoid the collectors item and stick with the cheap PC Engine system card.

It's the opposite, you need to avoid the collectors item and stick with the cheap PC Engine system card.

That’s what I was trying to say. Oops.

Even then, I’d either need an expensive adapter or an import mod... which is easy enough to DIY but I’d just as soon go with an actual PC Engine or CoreGrafx/CoreGrafx II to go with said System Card. [emoji4] Sticking with the TurboED for now while I wait for a deal on an Arcade Card Pro instead. [emoji4]

@CZROE

Yeah those boxes are nice. I was impressed and wasn't expecting that. I noticed the reset button was hard to press too. Is there a button combination you can do on the controller to get back to the main menu?

Unfortunately, no other way that I’m aware of. Holding Run and pressing Select will only reset to the file already loaded. It was always intentionally difficult so that you didn’t press it accidentally but at least I could always push it in a second when I wanted to (not anymore). It may be possible to 3D print a button cap that makes it easier but that’s likely to make it too easy again. Edited by CZroe

Well that's interesting, guessing it's in the video I didn't watch but some game or a few games are picky on the disc is something new to me too.

I've had some remarkable luck lately with the PCE pick offs I've been doing on the cheaper end of things. Facebook actually turned up another nice deal aside from that $15 copy of Gradius. There was a live firesale of sorts last night a guy in Japan was doing and I snapped up for $60 shipped Super Star Solider(loose) and both complete Gunhed(Blazing Lazers) and Pac-Land. On the ebay side $31 from Japan for Fantazy Zone and Afterburner 2 both complete.

One snafu this auction I won awhile back the seller is being a complete dick about it and I'll be sure to slam his ebay rating over it which is a rarity. I won this bundle of 10 complete games quite cheap. I win and it takes the dude 5 days go post it off a BIN I did while talking to him in ebay mailer. On the 24th I see there's tracking and 2 days later I ask if it went out or not because it was showing as number setup but nothing, he said it was a glitch. On the 27th the package then shows at the end of the day the mail had it in hand! Liar! And I paid for priority mail, and instead of going from WI to KY, it's now over in PA and showing a Feb 1 delivery date. I'm questioning if it's parcel post or media mail at this rate. Going to get a 1 star for lying(comm), 1 star for shipping price (priority it is not), and 1 star for shipping time. I'll probably call ebay and ask for a few dollars refund out of his pocket for the real shipping costs just to twist the knife.

From BigusSchmuck on PCEngineFX.com forums:

Official PCE games that are 80-100% in english and no/little japanese required

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=74619&share_tid=14497&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epcenginefx%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D14497&share_type=t

I ask the mods please sticky this for future reference. So far off the top of my head these games are 100% in English:

1. Populous

2. Populous Promised Lands (Spoken parts are in Japanese on the Promised Lands side though)

3. Lemmings

4. Cotton (English subtitles under options)

5. Ninja Gaiden (secret options menu) http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?nig

6. Hatris

7. Gate of Thunder (except the credits which are in Japanese)

8. Faceball

9. Fatal Fury 2 (under options)

10. Fatal Fury Special (under options)

11. The Art of Fighting (under options)

12. Jim Powers

13. Baby Jo the superhero

14. zero4champ 1

15. zero4champ 2

16. Break In

80% or thereabouts

1. Wizardry 1&2

2. Wizardry 3&4

3. Wizardry 5

4.Carmen Sandiego

5. RANMA 1/2 - DATŌ, GANSO MUSABETSU KAKUTŌ-RYŪ!

6. Splash Lake

7. F1 Circus

8. Road Spirits

9. Black-hole Assault

10. Die Hard

Little or no Japanese required :

Not Categorized:

1. Outrun

2. Neo Nectaris

3. Castlevania Dracula X

4. Golden Axe

5. Bomberman 94

6. Bomberman 93

7. Legendary Axe

8. Legendary Axe 2

9. PC Genjin

10. PC Genjin 2

11. PC Genjin 3

12. Puyo Puyo CD

13. Be - Ball

14. Devil Crash

15. Alien Crush

16. Conan Future Boy

17. Yu Yu Hakashu

18. Gotzendiener

19. Wonder momo

20. Lode Runner: Lost Labrynth

21. Pomping World (Buster Bros).

Fighters:

1. Crest of Wolf (Riot Zone)

2. Street Fighter II: CE'

3. Altered Beast

Shooters:

1941 Counter Attack / 1941カウンターアタック 1991 Super HuCard JP

1943 Kai / 1943改 1991 HuCard JP

Aero Blaster / エアロブラスターズ 1990 HuCard JP

After Burner II / アフターバーナーII 1990 HuCard JP

Ai Chouaniki / 愛・超兄貴 1995 Super CD-ROM² JP

Aldynes - The Mission Code For Rage Crisis / オルディネス 1991 Super HuCard JP

Alzadick Summer Carnival '92 / アルザディック サマーカーニバル'92 1992 CD-ROM² JP

Atomic Robo-Kid Special / アトミックロボキッド スペシャル 1990 HuCard JP

Avenger / アヴェンジャー 1990 CD-ROM² JP

Barunba / バルンバ 1990 HuCard JP

Bouken Danshaku Don - The Lost Sunheart / 冒険男爵ドン サン=ハート編 THE LOST SUNHEART 1992 HuCard JP

Burning Angels / バーニングエンジェル 1990 HuCard JP

CD Denjin Rockabily Tenkoku / CD電人 ロカビリー天国 1993 Super CD-ROM² JP

Chou Aniki / 超兄貴 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Choujikuuyousai Macross 2036 / 超時空要塞マクロス2036 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Coryoon - Child Of Dragon / コリューン

Cyber Core / サイバーコア 1990 HuCard JP

Daisenpu / 大旋風 1990 HuCard JP

Daisenpuu Custom / 大旋風 カスタム 1991 CD-ROM² JP

Darius Alpha / ダライアスα 1990 HuCard+ JP

Darius Plus / ダライアス・プラス 1990 HuCard+ JP

Dead Moon / DEAD MOON 「月世界の悪夢」 1991 HuCard JP

Deep Blue / ディープブルー・海底神話 1989 HuCard JP

Detana! TwinBee / 出たな!ツインビー 1992 HuCard JP

Download / ダウンロード 1990 HuCard JP

Download 2 / ダウンロード2 1991 CD-ROM² JP

Dragon Saber / ドラゴンセイバー 1991 HuCard JP

Dragon Spirit / ドラゴンスピリット 1988 HuCard JP

Fantasy Zone / ファンタジーゾーン 1988 HuCard JP

Final Blaster / ファイナルブラスター 1990 HuCard JP

Final Soldier / ファイナルソルジャー 1991 HuCard JP

Final Soldier Special Version / ファイナルソルジャー スペシャルバージョン 1991 HuCard JP

Forgotten Worlds / フォゴットンワールド 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Formation Armed F / アームドF 1990 HuCard JP

Galaga '88 / ギャラガ'88 1988 HuCard JP

Gate Of Thunder / ゲート オブ サンダー 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire / 銀河婦警伝説サファイア 1995 Arcade CD-ROM² JP

God Panic / ゴッドパニック 至上最強軍団 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Gokuraku! Chuuka Taisen / 極楽!中華大仙 1992 HuCard JP

Gradius / グラディウス 1991 HuCard JP

Gradius II - Gofer No Yabou / グラディウスII ゴーファーの野望 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Gunhed / ガンヘッド 1989 HuCard JP

Gunhed Special Version / ガンへード スペシャルバージョン 1989 HuCard JP

Hana Taaka Daka! / はなたーかだか! 1991 HuCard JP

Hani In The Sky / はにい いんざ すかい 1989 HuCard JP

Hawk F-123 / HAWK F-123 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Heavy Unit / ヘビー・ユニット 1989 HuCard

Hellfire S / ヘルファイヤーS 1991 CD-ROM² JP

Image Fight / イメージファイト 1990 HuCard JP

Image Fight II / イメージファイトII 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Kiaidan 00 / キアイダン00 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Kyūkyoku Tiger / 究極タイガー 1989 HuCard JP

L-Dis / エルディス 1991 CD-ROM² JP

Legion / レギオン 1990 CD-ROM² JP

Magical Chase / マジカルチェイス 1991 HuCard JP

Magical Chase PC Engine FAN Edition / マジカルチェイス PC Engine FAN ed. 1993 HuCard JP

Metal Stoker - Neo Hardboiled Shooting / メタルストーカー NEO HARDBOILED SHOOTING 1991 HuCard JP

Metamor Jupiter / メタモ ジュピター 1993 Super CD-ROM² JP

Mr. Heli No Daibouken / ミスターヘリの大冒険 1989 HuCard JP

Nexzr / ネクスザール 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Ordyne / オーダイン 1989 HuCard JP

Override / オーバーライド 1991 HuCard JP

P-47 - The Freedom Fighter / P-47 THE FREEDOM FIGHTER 1989 HuCard JP

Paranoia / パラノイア 1990 HuCard JP

Parodius Da! - Shinwa Kara Owarai E - / パロディウスだ! -神話からお笑いへ- 1992 HuCard JP

PC Denjin - Punkic Cyborgs / PC電人 PUNKIC CYBORGS 1992 HuCard JP

Power Gate / パワーゲイト 1991 HuCard JP

Psychic Storm / サイキック・ストーム 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Psycho Chaser / サイコチェイサー 1990 HuCard JP

R-TYPE Complete CD / アールタイプ コンプリートCD 1991 Super CD-ROM² JP

R-TYPE I / アールタイプ I 1988 HuCard JP

R-TYPE II / アールタイプ II 1988 HuCard JP

Rabio Lepus Special / ラビオレプス スペシャル 1990 HuCard JP

Raiden / 雷電 1991 HuCard JP

Rayxanber II / ライザンバーII 1991 CD-ROM² JP

Rayxanber III / ライザンバーIII 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Rock-On / ロック・オン 1989 HuCard JP

Salamander / 沙羅曼蛇 (サラマンダ) 1991 HuCard JP

Sapphire

Serei Senshi Spriggan / 精霊戦士SPRIGGAN 1991 CD-ROM² JP

Side Arms Hyper Dyne / サイドアーム 1989 HuCard JP

Side Arms Special / サイドアーム スペシャル 1989 CD-ROM² JP

Soldier Blade / ソルジャーブレイド 1992 HuCard JP

Soldier Blade Special Version / ソルジャーブレード スペシャルバージョン 1992 HuCard JP

Space Fantasy Zone / スペースファンタジーゾーン 1991 Super CD-ROM² JP

Space Harrier / スペースハリアー 1988 HuCard JP

Space Invaders - Fukkatsu No Hi / スペースインベーダーズ 復活の日 1990 HuCard JP

Space Invaders - The Original Game / スペースインベーダー ジ・オリジナルゲーム 1995 Super CD-ROM² JP

Spriggan Mark 2 - Re Terraform Project / スプリガンmark2 リ・テラフォーム・プロジェクト 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Star Parodier / スター パロジャー 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Steam Heart's / スチーム・ハーツ 1996 Super CD-ROM² JP

Summer Carnival '93 Nexzr Special / Summer Carnival '93 ネクスザールスペシャル 1993 Super CD-ROM² JP

Super Darius / スーパーダライアス 1990 CD-ROM² JP

Super Darius II / スーパーダライアスII 1993 Super CD-ROM² JP

Super Raiden / SUPER雷電 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Super Star Soldier / スーパースターソルジャー 1990 HuCard JP

Sylphia / シルフィア 1993 Super CD-ROM² JP

Tatsujin / タツジン 1992 HuCard JP

Tenseiryu / Saint Dragon / 天聖龍 1990 HuCard JP

Terra Cresta II / テラクレスタII マンドラーの逆襲 1992 HuCard JP

Terraforming / テラフォーミング 1992 Super CD-ROM² JP

Thunder Blade / サンダーブレード 1990 HuCard JP

Toilet Kids / トイレキッズ 1992 HuCard JP

Toy Shop Boys / トイ・ショップ・ボーイズ 1990 HuCard JP

Violent Soldier / バイオレントソルジャー 1990 HuCard JP

VolfieV(D)

W-Ring / The Double Rings / ダブルリング 1990 HuCard JP

Winds Of Thunder / ウィンズ・オブ・ サンダー 1993 Super CD-ROM² JP

Wonder Boy III - Monster Lair / ワンダーボーイIII モンスター・レアー 1989 CD-ROM² JP

Xevious Fadraut Densetsu / ゼビウス ファードラウト伝説 1990 HuCard JP

Zero Wing / ゼロウイング

I'm sure that there are others, please pipe in at any time and I'll add more to the list!

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 3

Ordered an SSDS3 a few days ago and now realize there's going to be at least a 6 week delay in shipping as they're revising the PCB to better accommodate RGB users.

Anyone else here own one and experience any other issues though? Seems to be pretty much plug and play. Besides the typical HuCard .pce files, just drag .cue/.iso CD files over to your card and the device knows what to do with them. :dunce:

It is plug and play, basically a faux cd, everdrive, and memory bank in one plugged into the back. It's not perfect though.

I'm actually more in line of wanting a similar item instead because it does HDMI but it costs a little bit more. http://www.upergrafx.com/home

That one doesn't do the everdrive feature, but it does do all those nice discs via SD card too and save memory as well. No HuCards, still need the everdrive for it(and for the cd system memory card too.) It's under development consistently right now improving/adding to the firmware so it's not on the level of the SSS3 yet but it should/will get there.

There is an english version of that site on there, but it's out of date not covering the disc play. Just use google translate.

• Like 2

It is plug and play, basically a faux cd, everdrive, and memory bank in one plugged into the back. It's not perfect though.

I'm actually more in line of wanting a similar item instead because it does HDMI but it costs a little bit more. http://www.upergrafx.com/home

That one doesn't do the everdrive feature, but it does do all those nice discs via SD card too and save memory as well. No HuCards, still need the everdrive for it(and for the cd system memory card too.) It's under development consistently right now improving/adding to the firmware so it's not on the level of the SSS3 yet but it should/will get there.

There is an english version of that site on there, but it's out of date not covering the disc play. Just use google translate.

Glad it’s getting noticed!

I’ve been trying to spread the word since December, when I noticed the change in their Japanese site. Seems particularly interesting for anyone disappointed in SSDSys3 not having the best RGB output.

Edited by CZroe

So today I finally had enough of the RF output on the TG16 and finally made my own composite cable. I had everything laying around already and just needed the time and drive to make it. The difference is staggering and I will now be playing a lot more with the TurboGrafx!

attachicon.gif20180206_110448.jpg

I gotta say: mine doesn’t look nearly that bad with RF. Using the composite AV with my Turbo-CD dock now, though, which means my original NEC PSU and RF switch are just dead weight now.

FYI, you can 3D print a low-profile connector for this mod:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:420327

Probably intended to fit under the original rear cover.

I gotta say: mine doesn’t look nearly that bad with RF. Using the composite AV with my Turbo-CD dock now, though, which means my original NEC PSU and RF switch are just dead weight now.

FYI, you can 3D print a low-profile connector for this mod:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:420327

Probably intended to fit under the original rear cover.

Yeah it was unplayable to me. It totally ruined the experience.

That 3D printed part is interesting. I think there is enough room in the cover to not need it though.

The TG-16 stock rf signal is good when the console is new, but the large plug tends to wear out the port. Bitd mine got worse and worse until I could only get a solid picture by holding it in place. I sent it back to NEC and paid $45(?) to have it repaired, but they just sent me an OEM TG-16 which I assumed at the time was refurbished. It literally came with everything a new TG-16 includes, except the outer box. So I wound up with an extra Keith Courage and docs/poster/misc.

I finally got a Turbo-CD not long after (first purchase through an EGM ad was a scam), so I didn't really need the service and had been playing my games on my TurboExpress in the meantime anyway.

It was still cool that they sent back so much stuff, which made the service charge feel worthwhile.

• Like 1