IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

I totally expect Dracula X to be a “+1” like Starfox 2 on the SNES CE and Tetris on the Genesis Mini. We’ve only had six games announced so far and we know it’s going to have a lot more (“Where’s my ‘Blazing Lazers?!’” -Ye). There’s no way to know what is exclusive where at this point so I wouldn’t panic just yet!

Edited by CZroe

Yeah it'd be pretty stupid of them to hold back Rondo of Blood for the US version. So what if it never made it here.. it's not 1993 anymore. It's one of the all time defining games on the system and everyone with even a passing interest in the PCE/TG16 (i.e. their target audience for this device) knows it.

I'm not panicking, yet, as you put it. I'm just looking at the Konami track record for these mini boxes and they're not very region friendly on some games is all, and since they're in control of the cookie jar this time I find it a bit disturbing is all. I mean look at the JP site you have Drac X and Bonk there and also Ys 1+2, of which all 3 of them just Ys i son the US site. That doesn't sit well with me for future game lists.

As many casuals as I’ve already seen mention “Bonk” just since this announcement, there’s just no way they’re leaving that out of the NA version. Blazing Lazerz and Bonk (of some kind) are virtually guaranteed. Bomberman too, if they are serious about the multitap.

Since I can be pretty sure that Bonk is coming I can be pretty sure that the others on the list aren’t necessarily regional exclusives either. Doesn’t mean we will get DracX, but it’s reason to doubt the exclusivity of the announced lists so far.

Edited by CZroe

I think it's surprising that Bonk isn't automatically one of the first announced titles on all them.

And yeah, maybe Castlevania (translated) will make it to the US version, but I'd be happy with even a non-translated version. There's not much in the game that would have to be translated... so you can look at it as either 1. Konami doesn't have to do much to translate it or 2. There's not much in there to begin with so I don't really need it translated.

But yeah, they should try to bring some of the better known games to the system regardless of region they were originally released or not released in.

I think it's surprising that Bonk isn't automatically one of the first announced titles on all them.

And yeah, maybe Castlevania (translated) will make it to the US version, but I'd be happy with even a non-translated version. There's not much in the game that would have to be translated... so you can look at it as either 1. Konami doesn't have to do much to translate it or 2. There's not much in there to begin with so I don't really need it translated.

But yeah, they should try to bring some of the better known games to the system regardless of region they were originally released or not released in.

Konami first translated it for PSP and again for a recent PS4 collection but I also wouldn’t mind the Japanese version.
  • Like 1

I suspect they're holding it back for more media attention closer to release. SEGA did something similar with the lineup of its upcoming mini console.

I would expect Devil's Crush on this thing, too.

• Like 1

I suspect they're holding it back for more media attention closer to release. SEGA did something similar with the lineup of its upcoming mini console.

I would expect Devil's Crush on this thing, too.

If they shy away from DracX for any reason, it’s probably the blood and pentagrams (“satanic imagery”) and such, which apply to Devil’s Crush too. Collection’s like these typically aim to be E-T with nothing controversial in order to attract a new audience (hipster kids?). Same reason I don’t expect to see Splatterhouse. :(

First thing I thought when they showed Alien Crush was “I guess Devil’s Crush was just too objectionable.” Still hope to see it though!

Really? your rating system is gonna rate those games like it was 1994 again?

All the other Classics and Minis released in North America have the ESRB rating range on the front of the box regardless of the ESRB not existing at the time. Also, the “satanic imagery” might cause an issue regardless of rating.

*shrug*

Some people are prudes and Konami doesn’t want negative press.

Edited by CZroe

Of course, it's the same here, but PEGI rating usually consider the amount of realism in the game for rating as well.

castlevania_the_dracula_x_chronicles_180

Though I see that the ERSB rated it T as well :

00FA000000058812.png

So there shoudl'nt be no reason why it wouldn't be included. Other games, alright, but for Rondo of Blood they already know what rating it would get.

Of course, it's the same here, but PEGI rating usually consider the amount of realism in the game for rating as well.

castlevania_the_dracula_x_chronicles_180

Though I see that the ERSB rated it T as well :

00FA000000058812.png

So there shoudl'nt be no reason why it wouldn't be included. Other games, alright, but for Rondo of Blood they already know what rating it would get.

Not saying DracX and Devil’s Crush would get an M for blood and satanic imagery (they probably wouldn’t), just saying that it might be controversial “regardless of rating” due to the religious and satanic imagery and it could make them hesitant to include those. That said, I don’t think Splatterhouse would get away with a T rating. ;)

The PSP game was a total remake and may not even have the same 2D cutscenes with pentagrams and such. I don’t know if they censored those things in the recent Castlevania Requiem for PS4 but it got a T rating so I assume DracX would get a T rating here. Obviously, there hasn’t been a controversy over Requiem but Konami might need to walk on eggshells when they bundle it with Bonk and other kid stuff (gets seen as marketing to children).

Then there’s context. Pentagrams and the occult go hand I hand with vampire stories and such where Dracula is supposed to be evil, but the imagery in Devil’s Crush is overtly satanic without that context. Prudes will likely see it as celebratory and promoting religion/satanism. This is why North America never got Shigeru Miyamoto’s “Devil World” like Europe did. The ESRB didn’t exist back then either, so this “satanic imagery” concern is on top of rating concerns.

Not saying DracX and Devils Crush would get an M for blood and satanic imagery (they probably wouldnt), just saying that it might be controversial regardless of rating due to the religious and satanic imagery and it could make them hesitant to include those. That said, I dont think Splatterhouse would get away with a T rating. ;)

The PSP game was a total remake and may not even have the same 2D cutscenes with pentagrams and such. I dont know if they censored those things in the recent Castlevania Requiem for PS4 but it got a T rating so I assume DracX would get a T rating here. Obviously, there hasnt been a controversy over Requiem but Konami might need to walk on eggshells when they bundle it with Bonk and other kid stuff (gets seen as marketing to children).

Then theres context. Pentagrams and the occult go hand I hand with vampire stories and such where Dracula is supposed to be evil, but the imagery in Devils Crush is overtly satanic without that context. Prudes will likely see it as celebratory and promoting religion/satanism. This is why North America never got Shigeru Miyamotos Devil World like Europe did. The ESRB didnt exist back then either, so this satanic imagery concern is on top of rating concerns.

That PSP collection includes the PC Engine version, running on an emulator and was the first time the original games was fully and officially translated to English. I believe that the only censorship was the underpants added to the werewolf.

Konami already has the rom of Devil's Crush that was censored for Virtual Console.

Edit: the untranslated Virtual Console version of Drac X released in North America removed Shaft's pentagram.

Edited by Black_Tiger
  • Like 1

That PSP collection includes the PC Engine version, running on an emulator and was the first time the original games was fully and officially translated to English. I believe that the only censorship was the underpants added to the werewolf.

Konami already has the rom of Devil's Crush that was censored for Virtual Console.

Makes sense. Hope the censorship on Devil’s Crush wasn’t too extreme because that’s one I’ve wanted to own since I first played it around ‘92. My roommate’s 4yo loves playing it on the Turbo Everdrive when he comes to visit but this kid is obsessed with Jason, It, Killer Clowns from Outer Space, and ESPECIALLY Five Nights at Freddie’s. He always insists on the Japanese version of Splatterhouse “with Jason” (white mask).

Obviously, we’d prefer the uncensored versions. ;)

Huh glad I have Devils Crush on PCE that I got I think last year, great game, far nicer than the Genesis version I had before it. And given what people said about how they touched that up and also little bits in Drac X like even on the Nintendo VC, there's even less reason not to include it since that was the direct PCE CD ISO they hacked to make it Nintendo clear to go.

Yes Bonk is a given as Star Soldier too, but it's not a total conclusion, you do have 3 bonk games to choose from after all. And they could be jerky and pick another shooter that isn't Star Soldier too as it's part of a series.

Huh glad I have Devils Crush on PCE that I got I think last year, great game, far nicer than the Genesis version I had before it. And given what people said about how they touched that up and also little bits in Drac X like even on the Nintendo VC, there's even less reason not to include it since that was the direct PCE CD ISO they hacked to make it Nintendo clear to go.

Yes Bonk is a given as Star Soldier too, but it's not a total conclusion, you do have 3 bonk games to choose from after all. And they could be jerky and pick another shooter that isn't Star Soldier too as it's part of a series.

If they can only include one Soldier game on the US version it better be Soldier Blade... but as I've already said it makes no difference to me since I own the entire series minus Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth for N64...

• Like 1

I think they'll probably settle on PC-Kid 2. The first one isn't as crazy, and the 3rd one is much less know.

PC-Kid 2 is probably the most famous one so it's probably gonna be PC-KID 2. They might include 3 because it's much less know... but then if you have 2 and 3 you might as well include the first game.

• Like 1

If they can only include one Soldier game on the US version it better be Soldier Blade... but as I've already said it makes no difference to me since I own the entire series minus Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth for N64...

I've got Super Star Soldier, that's all, but that's also because I backed off buying games after I got around 25-30 of them and ended up with an everdrive so I'm not exactly deprived. :D I love that N64 Star Soldier game, and get so fed up with people crapping all over it as it's good fun.

I think they'll probably settle on PC-Kid 2. The first one isn't as crazy, and the 3rd one is much less know.

PC-Kid 2 is probably the most famous one so it's probably gonna be PC-KID 2. They might include 3 because it's much less know... but then if you have 2 and 3 you might as well include the first game.

You know that would probably make a lot of sense as it's as you said, more known. I mean the first is, but 2 smoothed out a few rough edges and gave a bit more to the total game it would be more worth of people to play I would think. The third game was so late it got a co card/CD release but outside of collectors isn't really well known as you said. And as you said, if they did try and include more than one, all three would just make the most sense. I think we'll just have to see how much they load the system out with in the end of their public drip of info reveal. Hopefully it works out well for them, the last one to drip out game offerings got blasted for doing one stupid move after another (Sony.)

• Like 1

I've got Super Star Soldier, that's all, but that's also because I backed off buying games after I got around 25-30 of them and ended up with an everdrive so I'm not exactly deprived. :D I love that N64 Star Soldier game, and get so fed up with people crapping all over it as it's good fun.

You know that would probably make a lot of sense as it's as you said, more known. I mean the first is, but 2 smoothed out a few rough edges and gave a bit more to the total game it would be more worth of people to play I would think. The third game was so late it got a co card/CD release but outside of collectors isn't really well known as you said. And as you said, if they did try and include more than one, all three would just make the most sense. I think we'll just have to see how much they load the system out with in the end of their public drip of info reveal. Hopefully it works out well for them, the last one to drip out game offerings got blasted for doing one stupid move after another (Sony.)

Oddly enough I've never liked Super Star Soldier that much... stage 2 hates me yet I can get to the 6th stage in both Final Soldier and Soldier Blade... I can get to the last stage in in Override and GunHed (Blazing Lazers) as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any info on this? A guy posted this in 2015. It's an RGB board where you can keep your CD-ROM hooked up to your Turbo Grafx.

Interesting since this looks like it has an audio amp too.

If you still can’t find it:
Voultar’s RGB bypass board/amp works with every PC Engine or TurboGrafx but doesn’t handle audio. I was going to build my own audio amp earlier this year but then Mobius Strip Tech released one for free. He has also released boards for installing a Genesis miniDIN in place of the RF modulator so you can wire it all up without cutting the case.

I plan to do several before I sell off my extra consoles in the future. If I have any extra boards I’ll let you know.