IGNORED

Searching the forum

Dexter

Searching for specific topics can sometimes be very cumbersome using the forum search engine. Perhaps everyone knows this, but I always use Google to search the forum with:

ti 99 SEARCHTERM site:http://atariage.com/forums/

Replacing SEARCHTERM for whatever I’d like to find. This mostly gives better results than the forum search engine.

Does anyone use other methods or has other suggestions?

I have the Googlebar Lite Toolbar for Firefox and it has a Search This Site button. I usually end up using that button many times a day to search for things at various web sites. It automatically puts site:SITEURL in the Google search box for me, so all I have to do is type in what I'm searching for. (I type or paste what I want to find in the Googlebar Lite Toolbar search box, then click the Search This Site button and Google pops up with the search results.)

In case you don't know, the off topic forums are blocked at AtariAge, so you can't search those forums using Google.

• Like 1

@Albert

Okay, I didn’t notice that darn little gear! I did try it out and it really gives similar results. I searched for “ti 99 reset button”. However there are a lot less results than google provides.

Besides that, it’s actually more of an old habit to search like that, due to the result of bad forum search engines in the past. But it still works really good!

In case you don't know, the off topic forums are blocked at AtariAge, so you can't search those forums using Google.

Indeed, I didn't, but perhaps not too important, being off topic.

• Like 1

Searching for specific topics can sometimes be very cumbersome using the forum search engine. Perhaps everyone knows this, but I always use Google to search the forum with:

ti 99 SEARCHTERM site:http://atariage.com/forums/

Replacing SEARCHTERM for whatever I’d like to find. This mostly gives better results than the forum search engine.

Does anyone use other methods or has other suggestions?

THIS is a really cool move. It also searches the development-subforum, for users, and anything at all :) great idea :)

thanks

Can you give me some examples of what you're searching for? The advanced search page is very useful in trying to narrow down topics you're looking for:

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

You can access that by clicking the gear icon to the right of the search field near the top of the page.

..Al

Yes, but there is something calles "flood control" (?) what prevents me from a quick search.

Yes, but there is something calles "flood control" (?) what prevents me from a quick search.

I just removed "flood control", I completely forgot that was enabled. The forums have been using a third-party search system (Sphinx) for some time, and it is considerably more efficient than MySQL's built-in search engine, so it's not particularly resource-intensive. That's the main reason flood control was enabled in the first place (and it was set to 10 seconds between searches). I do agree that flood control is annoying, and of course I had it disabled for my own account..

..Al

• Like 2

OK :) so what I misss, is the possibility to search the TI-Forum, AND the sub-forums (development)

This is an essential for sub-forums I think. Google of course, delivers that, searching the whole site,

entering & filtering by "TI + 99" in addition, of course.

This "subs" on the bottom of that dropdown does not work, or maybe is another function I don´t know.

like this:

post-41141-0-59663900-1429451592_thumb.jpg

OK :) so what I misss, is the possibility to search the TI-Forum, AND the sub-forums (development)

This is an essential for sub-forums I think. Google of course, delivers that, searching the whole site,

entering & filtering by "TI + 99" in addition, of course.

This "subs" on the bottom of that dropdown does not work, or maybe is another function I don´t know.

like this:

You can do this if you go to the Advanced Search Page. There is a field, "Find in Forum", that allows you to specify specific forums you want to search:

Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 8.58.10 AM.png

..Al