IGNORED

A.P.B

Rick Dangerous

So, I have spent a long time trying to like this game. The control mechanics are a bit cumbersome on the Lynx, IIRC. It has been awhile since I played it, but the memories stick with me. I found it enjoyable when I played it. Pick up playable? Yeah, kinda. I mean the controls are fairly simple, just a bit touchy I thought. I would pick it up if you don't have it, it's worth a play or three.

I'll concur with the cumbersome controls. Nothing replaces the steering wheel and gas pedal from the arcade. I loved this arcade game and spent many quarters on the arcade. I picked it up and enjoyed it on the Lynx as well. The graphics, sounds, etc are all excellent, but the controls will take some practice.

This has always been one of my favorite games on the Lynx. It captures a surprising amount of the flavor and feel of the arcade game (though not all of it, obviously), and, despite being an arcade game, still has a good amount of depth. As an arcade game, though, it can also get rather challenging. Still, from the visuals to the animations to the speech, etc., it's absolutely worth getting on the Lynx in my opinion.

• Like 1

Very difficult game indeed, but loved it to bits. Just make sure you're constantly using the sirens, since this avoids making crashes

I always thought it was funny how I got this as an 8 year old kid and was chasing hookers and addicts in that game. Although its meant to be arcade, its a pity there's no free roaming mode. I'm curious how the entire map would look like

This has always been one of my favorite games on the Lynx. ... it's absolutely worth getting on the Lynx in my opinion.

Echo that, on both counts!! While i have always generally been into ComLynx games (as in only playing with one or more people), there were two SP games that I loved on the Lynx: KLAX and APB. I remember spending the hours away during my old Security shift 'work' playing APB and loving every moment (not just for the fact that i used to get paid to play :D ). As i had to stay in the big maintenance garage/shed on the golf course in case anyone broke in, i had 4-8 hours to kill every shift and the Lynx was it! I used to bring along my Lynx II, a PSU and a whole case of games (I traded my spare Jag + 6 games BITD to my regular Atari shop dealer for his ENTIRE BOXED LYNX STOCK :D ) and, even having so many games, again, KLAX and APB were the ones i got into the most - playing for hours on end.

I've never had a problem with the controls myself but then again i've never played this in the arcade or on any other system so i had nothing to compare it to. I loved the sound and the graphics and chasing down the crooks. Hmm... now that i think about it... maybe i got so into it because that's what i should have been doing while in a uniform and on the job: chasing crooks instead of playing games! lol

Funny thing is, i picked this up a few days ago to play some SP on my newly modded McWill LCD Lynx II and... I sucked BIG TIME!! lol I couldn't get past the training section, but moreso with not remembering what i had to do (did not have any issues with controls). So, anyone care to remind me what the objective is at the Start? :grin:

I owned the arcade game and the Lynx version (at the same time no less - no more arcade, but still have the Lynx), and the Lynx version plays pretty damn good compared to the arcade version. Frame rate is slower and the controls do take some getting used to (so did the arcade!). Music isn't bad, it has quite a bit of the arcade voice, and graphically looks really good.

(FYI times are in reference to the arcade youtube video post below)

What was a let down/disappointment is that it's missing the prisoner confession mini-game from the arcade (2:33). That to me was a bit of a let down that not only was cool (and quite simple really) but broke up the game a bit in a good way. When you catch the criminal, it's also missing the behind the bars screen (2:45). Finally, during the criminal overview, I wished they'd have used the voice from the arcade (1:24).

Otherwise, it's one of the better conversions for the Lynx. Definitely recommended.

• Like 1

Funny thing is, i picked this up a few days ago to play some SP on my newly modded McWill LCD Lynx II and... I sucked BIG TIME!! lol I couldn't get past the training section, but moreso with not remembering what i had to do (did not have any issues with controls). So, anyone care to remind me what the objective is at the Start? :grin:

You need to use the siren to hover over the traffic cones to pass the training section. Might as well put some duct tape on that button because keeping that siren going continuously is the only thing that'll make it possible to enjoy the driving. Since your field of view is topdown and next to nothing you'll keep crashing into traffic, but when using the siren it doesn't result in a penalty.